HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2012, 07:55 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRacr View Post
This Miracle switch is cool and looks beefy... Too bad it isn't a little easier to install!

I decided I didn't want this big of a switch right up at the front of the fuse and obnoxiously visible. It is a chunk of aluminum and it does weigh something, so I wanted to move it back. Under the wing would make it less visible. But there isn't anything flat back there to mount it to. I used card stock to cut out a template for some 1/8" ply that would fit between the frame of the fuse and glued it in there. Yea, it took some time. But I'm satisfied with the results.

I wonder how hard it is going to be to get the fuel line to go back in. There isn't much clearance on the back side of the switch. Since I'm not using a canister muffler I might have to drill a hole and let the fuel fill line slide into the canister area.
That looks good, and yeah, I agree, making a cutout for that switch is tough...I used one on my Su-26 and I used my scroll saw to get a decent cutout on a piece of ply then glued that piece of ply to the airframe. I put mine above and forward of the wing because I like to be able to see the switches when I am starting the plane...under the wing like that will keep it out of sight, but might be a bit awkward for getting to it while the plane is on the ground and for visually checking the switches during the starting process. I do like those Miracle switches though...they just feel strong.
SnowDog1974 is offline Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2012, 10:49 AM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,191 Posts
Personally I like these smaller switches... the airframe already has cut outs that match these perfectly.... I use two for the two LiFe Receiver packs and one for the ignition pack... keeps the airframe looking clean
flyracer is offline Find More Posts by flyracer
Old Aug 09, 2012, 11:14 AM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,927 Posts
Two cutouts on one side on the 71"??
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Aug 09, 2012, 01:18 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
United States, KS, Spring Hill
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyracer View Post
Personally I like these smaller switches... the airframe already has cut outs that match these perfectly.... I use two for the two LiFe Receiver packs and one for the ignition pack... keeps the airframe looking clean
Yea, mine had cutouts on opposite sides, not the same side like that.

So where did you get that switch? I crossed that option off my list when I figured it would take me forever to find a switch that fit the opening.

That does look pretty nice.
KTMRacr is offline Find More Posts by KTMRacr
Old Aug 09, 2012, 04:32 PM
The Twisted Elf
USA, NJ, Trenton
Joined Nov 2010
453 Posts
ktm i like where you put the switch,on my 72"extra i was trying to find a spot and i might copy yours or mount mine inside the fuse,not sure yet
lugnutz is offline Find More Posts by lugnutz
Old Aug 09, 2012, 06:50 PM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,191 Posts
go to www.servocity.com and look under the WEB SPECIALS tab... I think I paid $6 each.... you are right, the airframe has one cutout on either side... I had to add the second one.

Flyracer
Old Aug 09, 2012, 07:44 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Quote:
go to www.servocity.com and look under the WEB SPECIALS tab... I think I paid $6 each.... you are right, the airframe has one cutout on either side... I had to add the second one.

Flyracer
Hehe, who knew. A "standard" switch is the one you want.

Futaba doesn't even have dimensions of the switch on their own site.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 07:46 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,927 Posts
Not sure I trust the amp draw across those switched on a big bird like a 71 YMMV
Old Aug 09, 2012, 07:46 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnutz View Post
ktm i like where you put the switch,on my 72"extra i was trying to find a spot and i might copy yours or mount mine inside the fuse,not sure yet
I think its going to work pretty good. It was a pain to cut out a piece of ply to fit in there. Even more difficult was getting CA down in there! I definitely used all combinations of micro tips on my CA bottles!

If you are using a canister muffler, you might want to find a location a little higher up so there is room for the fuel fill line. I'll report back once I get some plumbing done on how it works out.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 07:48 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
Not sure I trust the amp draw across those switched on a big bird like a 71 YMMV
Another reason why I didn't get one... No amperage rating that I could find anywhere... Evidently they work OK, but when you aren't sure, you go conservative...
Old Aug 09, 2012, 08:21 PM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,191 Posts
i'm using two 2S LiFe 1100mah 10c packs to support the Futaba s3051HV servos on my Slick.... those switches are plenty for that level of AMP draw.

On my 87" Extra I use two 2S LiFe 2100mah 30c packs with the AR1200 power safe receiver.... to support the HS7955TG servos... now that setup has some serious AMP draw!
Old Aug 09, 2012, 08:34 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,927 Posts
I am going to run 4 HS-7955TG's and the HS-5665TH with an IBEC from an Iron corp Fromeco 2300. That should suck some juice through the switch.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 08:38 PM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,191 Posts
yea... in the case of the HS7955TGs, you'll pull AMPs that will require a beefier switch.

Beauty of using the HS7955TGs is you're set to move to a 30% sized airframe later on.... the Futaba s3051HVs are only good for 24% to 26% sized airframe (IMHO)
Old Aug 09, 2012, 08:44 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,927 Posts
I thought the 71 was classed as a 30%?

Quote:
yea... in the case of the HS7955TGs, you'll pull AMPs that will require a beefier switch.

Beauty of using the HS7955TGs is you're set to move to a 30% sized airframe later on.... the Futaba s3051HVs are only good for 24% to 26% sized airframe (IMHO)
Old Aug 09, 2012, 08:54 PM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,191 Posts
I don't know the dimensions of the real Slick540... I'm going off the wing sizing of my other 24%, 26% and 30% planes.... seems 69" to 71" is 24%/25% and 72" to 74" is 25%/26% depending on which airframe you're crashing... err I mean flying.

Like I mentioned I like using those little switches on my 69" to 74" airframes.. where I can get away with 150oz to 175oz torque servos... when you start getting into the 30c rated battery packs to support high torque servos, you want a switch that can handle that level of AMP draw.