Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 08, 2012, 04:19 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
Why not just add the servo to the location that has the two slots aleady cut?

I should have done that...you would not believe how wild my throttle linkage looks
The spot you circled is where I mounted my ignition. My throttle is on the other side of the motor on the PTE though.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2012, 04:24 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
United States, KS, Spring Hill
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
I thought that is where the straps for the ignition go.

If I opened that up it would actually be a little long and might not leave enough for servo screws. Although a little extra ply would solve that issue.

Also wanted to keep the servo as far back as possible for balance purposes.

I'm sure I can make something work fine, just wondering if flipping the carb was even an option. Looks like 4 bolts out, flip, 4 bolts in, but there might be more to it than that, or something else that prevents you from flipping. I suppose I can pull the carb off and look, I just saw no reason to break a factory gasket seal if someone told me you couldn't do it.
KTMRacr is offline Find More Posts by KTMRacr
Old Aug 08, 2012, 06:36 PM
United States, NC, Greensboro
Joined Dec 2006
406 Posts
You really dont want to flip the carb and lose the nice choke rod support.

i made a mounting plate and put my throttle servo here, Keeps the weight back towards the wingtube and makes for easier throttle servo maintenance should it ever be required.

Putting the servo here also makes the linkage a straight shot to the carb. I used goldenrod for the throttle linkage....it helps isolate the throttle servo from the engine vibrations much better than metal or carbon fibre.
racerman27410 is offline Find More Posts by racerman27410
Old Aug 08, 2012, 06:53 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,925 Posts
This is what I should have done and I know we discussed it but I had already fuel proofed the front of the plane and did not want to epoxy on top of the other epoxy for fear of a bad bond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerman27410 View Post
You really dont want to flip the carb and lose the nice choke rod support.

i made a mounting plate and put my throttle servo here, Keeps the weight back towards the wingtube and makes for easier throttle servo maintenance should it ever be required.

Putting the servo here also makes the linkage a straight shot to the carb. I used goldenrod for the throttle linkage....it helps isolate the throttle servo from the engine vibrations much better than metal or carbon fibre.
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Aug 08, 2012, 07:20 PM
Joined Dec 2006
406 Posts
Quote:
This is what I should have done and I know we discussed it but I had already fuel proofed the front of the plane and did not want to epoxy on top of the other epoxy for fear of a bad bond.

My servo is actually inside the plane right beside the fuel tank.. easily accessible by just removing the canopy..... when setting up for gas power you really dont want to add any more weight to the nose (motor box) of this plane than you have to.

I have my ignition mounted on the opposite side of the plane from the throttle servo... for lateral balance (and service) again easily accessible by simply removing the canopy.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 07:56 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,925 Posts
I may have to move the throttle servo but I am going to be installing the tail servos this weekend and get some gas in the tank to see what the final CG is..oh and I have a bigger battery coming which will mount behind the wing tube so that will help just a little.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 08:13 PM
Joined Dec 2006
406 Posts
Quote:
I may have to move the throttle servo but I am going to be installing the tail servos this weekend and get some gas in the tank to see what the final CG is..oh and I have a bigger battery coming which will mount behind the wing tube so that will help just a little.
you may wind up mounting that battery way back on the pull pull rudder tray (maybe even back under the turtledeck).... its real easy for this plane to come out nose heavy.... having set up three of them i'm pretty confident in saying that unless you have a very long runway you will want to get the plane as neutral as you can get it.... she will come in HOT if too nose heavy.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 08:16 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,925 Posts
I have a 1/2" x 2" balsa plate that is glued over the pull pull location and ends at the rear former at the back of the canopy. I have the ibec on the front over where the pull pull servo would go and the battery will be behind it. I have a 1100 mah A123 in there right now but I dont trust it will have enough azz so I ordered a fromeco 2300 Iron corp battery and badger yesterday.

Fromeco rocks by the way...called to change something...answered the phone and spent 10 minutes talking to me about my setup and what I needed.

Quote:
you may wind up mounting that battery way back on the pull pull rudder tray.... its real easy for this plane to come out nose heavy.... having set up three of them i'm pretty confident in saying that.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 08:30 PM
Joined Dec 2006
406 Posts
Quote:
I have a 1/2" x 2" balsa plate that is glued over the pull pull location and ends at the rear former at the back of the canopy. I have the ibec on the front over where the pull pull servo would go and the battery will be behind it. I have a 1100 mah A123 in there right now but I dont trust it will have enough azz so I ordered a fromeco 2300 Iron corp battery and badger yesterday.

Fromeco rocks by the way...called to change something...answered the phone and spent 10 minutes talking to me about my setup and what I needed.
I'm running 7954SH servos so i dont have to run a regulator but i can get 4 15minutes flights from a 2200 LiFe in the RX and still have plenty of reserve... i run a 1300 on the ignition but it really doesnt use anything.... maybe 250 Mah
per 60 minutes

i think you will be fine with the 2300 running both Rx and ign..... just do your duty and log Mah you put back in (IE one flight and charge, two flights then charge, three flights then charge... etc). the LiFe/A123 batterys drop off real fast if you discharge them too far. Personally I dont like discharging them too far past halfway. (better safe than sorry) Especially since they recharge so fast.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 08:58 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Hyperion servos are back in stock at allerc.com and I just made their stock smaller. Got some Dubro #670 heavy duty servo arms as well. Just ordered a 18x8 and 19x8 ProTek prop from AMain as well. Both orders via USPS so maybe they will get here by Saturday.

I think that completes the shopping process (I really hate shopping, even when it is for cool stuff).

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Old Aug 08, 2012, 09:07 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRacr View Post
Hyperion servos are back in stock at allerc.com and I just made their stock smaller. Got some Dubro #670 heavy duty servo arms as well. Just ordered a 18x8 and 19x8 ProTek prop from AMain as well. Both orders via USPS so maybe they will get here by Saturday.

I think that completes the shopping process (I really hate shopping, even when it is for cool stuff).

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Nice!
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Aug 08, 2012, 09:20 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,925 Posts
At first I ordered a life at 2600 mah and called back today to change to a 2300 lifeP04 because of the amp draw head room. I am going to run an ibec so it will run all off the same battery. It just seems like such an amp draw to have five big digital servos and an ibec for ignition.

Have you had any jitter issues out of the 7954's?

Quote:
I'm running 7954SH servos so i dont have to run a regulator but i can get 4 15minutes flights from a 2200 LiFe in the RX and still have plenty of reserve... i run a 1300 on the ignition but it really doesnt use anything.... maybe 250 Mah
per 60 minutes

i think you will be fine with the 2300 running both Rx and ign..... just do your duty and log Mah you put back in (IE one flight and charge, two flights then charge, three flights then charge... etc). the LiFe/A123 batterys drop off real fast if you discharge them too far. Personally I dont like discharging them too far past halfway. (better safe than sorry) Especially since they recharge so fast.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 10:19 PM
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
692 Posts
Throttle servo setup

Here is where I put my throttle servo and how I did it for the GT-33:

Still need to drill a hole in the firewall and setup the linkage. This is the best position I found that would allow me to get to the servo. I made the plate from a 1/4 inch ply then epoxied it into the airframe.
RC_Feen is offline Find More Posts by RC_Feen
Old Aug 08, 2012, 11:05 PM
Joined Dec 2006
406 Posts
[QUOTE=going4speed;22395666

Have you had any jitter issues out of the 7954's?[/QUOTE]

No.. they work perfectly .... i have them in all my planes and think they are a great bang for the buck high voltage servo.... they are super strong and not too slow on unregulated LiFe too.

I dont know why some people talking about them getting slop but i have three planes using them for over a year and they are all just as tight as new .
Old Aug 09, 2012, 03:31 AM
When in doubt, gas it!
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
This Miracle switch is cool and looks beefy... Too bad it isn't a little easier to install!

I decided I didn't want this big of a switch right up at the front of the fuse and obnoxiously visible. It is a chunk of aluminum and it does weigh something, so I wanted to move it back. Under the wing would make it less visible. But there isn't anything flat back there to mount it to. I used card stock to cut out a template for some 1/8" ply that would fit between the frame of the fuse and glued it in there. Yea, it took some time. But I'm satisfied with the results.

I wonder how hard it is going to be to get the fuel line to go back in. There isn't much clearance on the back side of the switch. Since I'm not using a canister muffler I might have to drill a hole and let the fuel fill line slide into the canister area.