HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 25, 2012, 09:59 AM
United States, NC, Greensboro
Joined Dec 2006
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRacr View Post
What size batteries should I get for RX/Servos and ignition?

Value Hobby has the following size LiFe packs in stock:

http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...ries/life.html

700 mAh 5C - 1.5oz - $3.23
1100 mAh 10C - 2.3oz - $4.36
1800 mAh 30C - 4.7oz - $9.64
2500 mAh 5C - 4.9oz - $10.46

I'm leaning toward two of the 1100s or two of the 2500s as the cost/weight/capacity ratio ain't that hot for the 1800 they have in stock. Would probably buy 2 sets so I can swap and charge/fly at the same time. So if the 1100s will work fine and get me 3 or 4 flights then that seems like the hot ticket.

This thread rocks...

700 for the ignition and 2500 for the Rx would be plenty.... I like keeping the power supply for the ignition completely seperate and two packs gives you the option of moving the weight around for balancing purposes. I use less than a hundred Mah per flight on the ignition and around 200-400Mah on the reciever pack per 12 minute flight using 7954SH HV servos.... i very rarely fly more than 3 flights before charging as i prefer to keep the reserve high. the LiFe batterys do recharge pretty quick so i just use one set per plane.

After three 12 minute+ back to back to back flights the short break to recharge the batterys is not a bother at all.

Frank
racerman27410 is offline Find More Posts by racerman27410
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:51 PM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,187 Posts
Quote:
Dang that looks nice. Probably a lot better than the plastic spinner I ordered...

$25 ain't bad. By the looks of things from their website they don't come with a screw (and don't bother to tell you what size you need). They also talk about having to cut out your spinner for the prop, but most of the spinners listed are pre-cut. Is this the one you got?

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/TBMSPCF32BL.html

Edit: I guess they don't include a screw cause they have no idea what prop adapter you will be using. So one single screw through the nose holds the thing on. I guess you need a prop shaft (or adapter) that has a female thread on the end huh? So that begs the question, "Flyracer, what prop adapter thingy are you using?" =)

Sorry for the late response... its a straight allen head 10-32 2-1/4" bolt. I actually had some of these sitting around. This worked perfect on the 3" CF spinner. On the 3-1/2" CF spinner I will need to track down a 10-32 2-5/8" bolt.

Flyracer
flyracer is offline Find More Posts by flyracer
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:01 PM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
Now fly which do you like better the yak or the slick
It's a hard decision.. there's no disputing the solid performance of the 71" Slick with the DLE30... it just inspires confidence from the 1st flight forward. I've really been able to explore and expand my 3D flying with the Slick. I've let a few of the veteran pilots out at the local airfield fly my Slick and they are amazed at how easy she flies.

Now the Slipsteam Yak.... it was $250 to my door and Rich B made me a killer deal ($200) for his used DLE30. Sure it's not on par with all the carbon fiber contruction applied on the Slick. She's very scale as apposed to the Slick yet the double taper wing design gives the Yak some amazing agility in the air. She's not forgiving like the Slick and I have to be sharp when I get her close to the stall point.... yet the Yak is a blast! I get about equal attention out at the airpark when either airframe is in the air.

Flyracer
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:04 PM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,187 Posts
[QUOTE=brathanke;22250843]One of the easiest ways to fuel proof it is to use thinned epoxy. I used 30 min epoxy thinned with alcohol. Kerwin actually taught it to me [QUOTE]

Ditto... I stole my technique from Kerwin as well. I've shared that with some fellow pilots and/or used it on builds for friends

Flyracer
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:19 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,504 Posts
Lol
kerwin50 is online now Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:12 AM
When in doubt, gas it!
United States, KS, Spring Hill
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
UPS Tracking:

Scheduled Delivery:
Monday, 07/30/2012, By End of Day

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

I just got done building a 44" Telink Extra Slick from twistedhobbys.com. That thing is huge and was hard to work on with my tall workbench. I think I'll be having to pull out a folding table to build the 71.

It occurred to me yesterday that I have no clue how/where I'm going to store this thing...
KTMRacr is offline Find More Posts by KTMRacr
Old Jul 29, 2012, 09:09 AM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,925 Posts
That is a good problem to have...the storage thing...

I built mine on a fold out table. Just tape the tail wheel down so the plane does not roll off the back of the table every 11.2 seconds.
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Jul 29, 2012, 09:35 AM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,187 Posts
make yourself one of these cheap cradles.... it helps keep the airframe from slipping around on the table.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:44 AM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,925 Posts
Great idea! My issue was when installing the motor and everything else in the fuse the tail kept rolling off the back so 2" masking tape later it was rock solid.
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Jul 29, 2012, 11:51 AM
Joined Sep 2010
198 Posts
The stock fuel stopper appears to be for gas (it comes with tygon tubing). It's soft and brittle, but I need to know for sure if it is. Anyone know?
WindGap is offline Find More Posts by WindGap
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:10 PM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,187 Posts
I don't take chances with stock stopper and tubing. Use a Dubro gas stopper and buy some quality tygon tubing
Old Jul 29, 2012, 07:06 PM
Joined Sep 2010
198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyracer View Post
I don't take chances with stock stopper and tubing. Use a Dubro gas stopper and buy some quality tygon tubing
Word. Cheap insurance.
WindGap is offline Find More Posts by WindGap
Old Jul 29, 2012, 07:22 PM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,187 Posts
yea I think the Dubro Gas Stopper is $2 and a 6 foot section of yellow gas tubing is $8 to $10.

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/FTGS.html

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/TUBGASR.html
Old Jul 30, 2012, 01:25 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
United States, KS, Spring Hill
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
It's heeeeeeeeere!

No shipping damage that I can see right now. Whew!

This is going to be a whole bunch of fun to build and fly.

Looks like the motor box area already has some fuel proofing done. I'm assuming your guys' planes came the same way, and you chose to add some more?

There are a few wrinkles in the covering (as expected) which I will take care of no problems... I noticed on the white parts of the wing there is some yellowing/browning where the covering attaches to the balsa. Looks like it is burned almost. I'll have to see if it cleans up...

Was going to buy the Fortitude tank they offer and realized that I forgot to do that ()

Now where is that folding table..........
KTMRacr is offline Find More Posts by KTMRacr
Old Jul 30, 2012, 01:28 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,875 Posts
Quote:
It's heeeeeeeeere!

No shipping damage that I can see right now. Whew!

This is going to be a whole bunch of fun to build and fly.

Looks like the motor box area already has some fuel proofing done. I'm assuming your guys' planes came the same way, and you chose to add some more?

There are a few wrinkles in the covering (as expected) which I will take care of no problems... I noticed on the white parts of the wing there is some yellowing/browning where the covering attaches to the balsa. Looks like it is burned almost. I'll have to see if it cleans up...

Was going to buy the Fortitude tank they offer and realized that I forgot to do that ()

Now where is that folding table..........
It all sounds great I think you will want more than the 8 oz tank.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater