HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old May 07, 2011, 10:04 AM
Registered User
pryor808's Avatar
United States, NY, Medford
Joined Oct 2008
386 Posts
Guy's!! The 71" Slick is a dream to fly. Some flyers did mention that it flies like a 30% airframe, not quite (my opinion) but, great flyer. Knife Edge pulls a little towards the belly (gear). My Dle 30/Cannister exhaust with a 19A Vess is a great combo! Hovers at 1/4 throtle. I have not weighed the plane yet but, I am pretty sure is weighing close to 11lbs.
pryor808 is offline Find More Posts by pryor808
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2011, 04:26 PM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
flyracer's Avatar
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,195 Posts
I got the box open this weekend, laying out the parts and started the assembly.... wow the hardware provided is extensive... not even sure what all the different covers are for yet. The kit comes with canister mounts and a deflection gage as well!

Ailerons are hinged already. I followed the directions for greasing the robart hinges (with vasoline) prior to using gorilla glue for the elevator and rudder assembly. Piece of cake.

I like the nose cowling as it comes with a slotted internal ring.... makes mounting the cowling super easy. In fact the kit really comes together quickly... it should be labeled Quick Build.

My only gripe is the wheel hubs were drilled crooked or they are warped. One wheel is bad enough that it rubs/sticks on the wheel skirt.

Flyracer
flyracer is offline Find More Posts by flyracer
Reply With Quote
Old May 09, 2011, 08:41 AM
Registered User
pryor808's Avatar
United States, NY, Medford
Joined Oct 2008
386 Posts
Flyracer,

I agree with you with the 3" wheels that come with the kit. Yes! they are light but, they do not meet my standards. I went ahead and, ordered a set of the 3" aluminum hub wheels from Aztech RC. The weight difference was insignificant and, they are nicer wheels.
pryor808 is offline Find More Posts by pryor808
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 02, 2011, 12:17 AM
Registered User
RC_Feen's Avatar
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
695 Posts
71" Slick Gas question

Does anyone have a video of the 71" Slick running a DLE30cc engine? All the guys at the local club run nitro or gas and I'm looking to get a 71" Slick running a DLE30cc engine. This will be my first gas plane but I have no experience running a gas motor in plane only in R/C heli's. Looking into what is needed to setup a 71" Slick running a gas engine rather than going with a 71" Slick electric. Thanks!
RC_Feen is offline Find More Posts by RC_Feen
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2011, 07:06 PM
Registered User
Indgroove's Avatar
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Feb 2007
109 Posts
71 AJ Slick with DLE 30

I maiden my 71 Slick last Friday and flew it today. This plane flys great. Smooth and steady. It has no bad habits. The DLE 30 has plenty of power. It practically lands itself. I highly recommend this plane.
I like to thank the people at 3D Hobby Shop for making a great plane . It was easy to build and affordable. This was my 1st gas plane so I got help on the engine setup.
I like to thank Mike Bivens for helping me with the engine and advice on the build. A lot of people at my field have ordered 3D Hobby planes because of Mike Bivens. Mike, you should get sponsered by them.

Indgroove
Indgroove is offline Find More Posts by Indgroove
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Indgroove; Jul 08, 2012 at 11:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2011, 08:00 PM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
flyracer's Avatar
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,195 Posts
Indgrove

Congrats on getting your Slick into the air....

Flyracer
flyracer is offline Find More Posts by flyracer
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2011, 08:08 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
losifanatic's Avatar
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,445 Posts
This plane is tied right now for the best plane I have ever flown. I love my 71 slick.
Congrats on the sucsessfull maiden!!!
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2011, 08:41 AM
Registered User
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
I am about 85% done with mine. Putting a DLE 30 in it. Should hopefully maiden by next week I went with the rudder servo in the tail (that was advice given by 3DHS if using the DLE 30) and will probably end up with the battery in the pull/pull servo area. SO far so good...Pretty easy build! Only mod so far was I had decided to mount my smart switch inside the cabin on a balsa plate. I am also using a single 2300 A123 battery set up to power everything with an optical kill and a voltage reducer going to the ignition.

Here are some pics:















CRFan1 is offline Find More Posts by CRFan1
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2011, 09:10 AM
Let the hating begin
evalith8's Avatar
HAMPTON VA
Joined Dec 2009
868 Posts
I'm still waiting on mine,ordered it last Sunday but 3DHS has some computer issues so shipping has been delayed.I had a Blue 70 with a 30/canister that I flew the **** out of,just sold it to a friend.The only changes I'm making on this one are a new v2 30,new flex header cause they all break after 2-3 months,hitec 985's & Mejzlik instead of Xoar laminated.I put a Xoar carbon fiber on my DLE55 Sbach & the throttle response is unreal,carbon is the way to go.I can't seem to find a carbon Xoar in 20x6 so it'll have to be a Mejzlik.
evalith8 is offline Find More Posts by evalith8
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2011, 09:13 AM
Let the hating begin
evalith8's Avatar
HAMPTON VA
Joined Dec 2009
868 Posts
Are you guys using the stock DLE 30 standoffs?I saw a pic in the prior thread with them on?On my 70 they were to long.
evalith8 is offline Find More Posts by evalith8
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2011, 09:41 AM
Registered User
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evalith8 View Post
Are you guys using the stock DLE 30 standoffs?I saw a pic in the prior thread with them on?On my 70 they were to long.

Yes, stock standoff's work perfect. I am using the Xoar 20x6 on mine and I intially went with HS985MG's but had all sorts of problems with them chttering and fluttering....think I seriously had a bad batch. We tried everything from different switches to receivers to batteries. Even sent a vid to Hitec.

So to make a long story short, I exchanged them for some HS5645MG digitals for now. I am just learning 3D and am more of an IMAC style flier so they should be ok (I know they are a bit slower but they have a lot of torque and are very smooth).

One question on checking CG.....do you guys check it with the plane upright?? I was just going to hang it from a string around the wing tube and shoot for a slight nose down attitude to start.
CRFan1 is offline Find More Posts by CRFan1
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2011, 02:26 PM
Let the hating begin
evalith8's Avatar
HAMPTON VA
Joined Dec 2009
868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
Yes, stock standoff's work perfect. I am using the Xoar 20x6 on mine and I intially went with HS985MG's but had all sorts of problems with them chttering and fluttering....think I seriously had a bad batch. We tried everything from different switches to receivers to batteries. Even sent a vid to Hitec.

So to make a long story short, I exchanged them for some HS5645MG digitals for now. I am just learning 3D and am more of an IMAC style flier so they should be ok (I know they are a bit slower but they have a lot of torque and are very smooth).

One question on checking CG.....do you guys check it with the plane upright?? I was just going to hang it from a string around the wing tube and shoot for a slight nose down attitude to start.
5645 were to slow on my 70.I set the battery behind the pull pull tray,fly inverted & go from there,I ended up building a small tray & putting the battery
about 2 inches behind the hatch switch,for proper 3d it should fly level with no stick input when inverted.I always set the final cg at the field.
evalith8 is offline Find More Posts by evalith8
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2011, 03:14 PM
Registered User
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evalith8 View Post
5645 were to slow on my 70.I set the battery behind the pull pull tray,fly inverted & go from there,I ended up building a small tray & putting the battery
about 2 inches behind the hatch switch,for proper 3d it should fly level with no stick input when inverted.I always set the final cg at the field.
Yeah, I have heard that is the knock on the 5645's......but I am not a good 3D pilot...yet, so I am sure they will suit me well for now with the IMAC stuff I do. What was the effect when you were flying with them?

Thanks for the tip on the CG. I am only using the one battery to power the whole plane so I am hoping I can get the CG right with it on the rudder servo tray. No big deal to build a tray if need be though! You have a pic of yours?
CRFan1 is offline Find More Posts by CRFan1
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2011, 06:38 PM
Registered User
kerwin50's Avatar
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,524 Posts
CR your plane looks really good.
I'm sure your going to be very happy with it.
keep us posted
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 05:47 AM
Let the hating begin
evalith8's Avatar
HAMPTON VA
Joined Dec 2009
868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
Yeah, I have heard that is the knock on the 5645's......but I am not a good 3D pilot...yet, so I am sure they will suit me well for now with the IMAC stuff I do. What was the effect when you were flying with them?

Thanks for the tip on the CG. I am only using the one battery to power the whole plane so I am hoping I can get the CG right with it on the rudder servo tray. No big deal to build a tray if need be though! You have a pic of yours?
Only pics I have are in flight,just sold it to a friend.Cg is something you gott amess with a t the field to get it perfect.As far as the servos,4 & 8 point rolls were not precise enough for me,snaps were a little slow to.I run 7955's on my Sbach & the rolls are crisp & precise,hopefully the 985's are the same.
evalith8 is offline Find More Posts by evalith8
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion 71" AJ Slick Gas - First time with gas Hewey19 Fuel Plane Talk 7 Sep 06, 2011 03:53 PM
Sold 3dhs 71" aj slick - nib 6L6Amp Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 4 Apr 05, 2011 11:09 AM
Discussion I'm torn, 71 slick or 72 sc? KillerCut 3D Flying 9 Mar 25, 2011 06:20 PM
Discussion 3DHS 42"Slick Side Force Generators bigtexas 3D Flying 3 Mar 03, 2011 12:42 PM
Wanted 3DHS 70" Slick Gas parts!!! helifryer Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Feb 20, 2011 07:47 AM