HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:36 AM
United States, MD, Glen Burnie
Joined Mar 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
Just use Stihl HP Ultra oil at 32:1 from the day you start it till the day it dies
32:1 would be 1 gallon of gas with 4 oz of oil right?
VENOMiTry is offline Find More Posts by VENOMiTry
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:52 AM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VENOMiTry View Post
32:1 would be 1 gallon of gas with 4 oz of oil right?
Yep!
CRFan1 is offline Find More Posts by CRFan1
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:34 PM
United States, NC, Greensboro
Joined Dec 2006
406 Posts
Quote:
Venom, the DLE is a fine engine. I have at least 50 flights and she runs perfect and makes a lot of power. It really is a great match for the 71" SLick
not to argue but.......

dirt bike engines are not usually made in small sweat shops in china and while i agree that there is absolutely nothing wrong with a plated cylinder.... i will add that quality control during the manufacturing/plating process plays a HUGE part in that durability. Also run those dirt bikes lean one time (carb joint leak) and see what happens to that plating.... BTDT with my yamaha 450..... but i digress.

My DLE ran great right out of the box..... as long as i was flying upright.
flip inverted and it would die.... no amount of tinkering/needle tweaking/metering lever height adjustments could correct the problem. After rebuilding the carb with genuine walbro components (specifically the metering lever spring) it was finally reliable enough for me to fly without constant fear of a flameout every time i rolled inverted.

I now have well over 300 flights on that engine and it still runs good.....unfortunately the first 50 flights with it left an extremely bad taste in my mouth for DLE quality control and several broken carbon fibre AJ slick landing gear.

Im not saying the plating will peel off the cylinder of a DLE but i can guarrantee you it wont EVER happen with the steel sleeved OS.

My DLE does run good now ..BUT......it is not nor ever will be as strong, quiet ,smooth running and responsive to throttle inputs as the OS.

I hope you have a long service life from your engine and no deadsticks but until you have flown these engines back to back you really dont know how much performance difference there is between them. If you ever get to NC i would be happy to let you have a pull on all three (DLE,PTE and OS) to see for yourself.
racerman27410 is offline Find More Posts by racerman27410
Last edited by racerman27410; Apr 25, 2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:53 PM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerman27410 View Post
not to argue but.......

i wouldnt say 50 flights on an engine qualifies you to say the DLE engine is as good as the OS.....or that the DLE will be long lasting for everyone.

dirt bike engines are not usually made in small sweat shops in china and while i agree that there is absolutely nothing wrong with a plated cylinder.... i will add that quality control during the manufacturing/plating process plays a HUGE part in that durability.

My DLE ran great right out of the box..... as long as i was flying upright.
flip inverted and it would die.... no amount of tinkering/needle tweaking could correct the problem. After rebuilding the carb with genuine walbro components (specifically the metering lever spring) it was finally reliable enough for me to fly without constant fear of a flameout every time i rolled inverted.

I now have well over 300 flights on that engine and it still runs good.....unfortunately the first 50 flights with it left an extremely bad taste in my mouth for DLE quality control. Im not saying the plating will peel off but i can guarrantee you it wont EVER happen with the steel sleeved OS.

My DLE runs good now ..BUT......it is not nor ever will be as strong, quiet and responsive to throttle inputs as the OS.... i have over 200 flights on the OS and it has NEVER left me with a deadstick. (nor has the PTE for that matter)

I hope you have a long service life from your engine and no deadsticks
I am not disagreeing with you in any way and I don't think I said it was as good as the OS.....I just said the DLE is a fine motor . I have no doubt the OS is a great motor (I am a big OS fan) and I may get one if/when my DLE does crap out on me And yes, the QC of the chinese stuff is spotty at best but I will say DLE has been among the best in that regard. perfect? No....but they seem to make a decent effort and places like valley view RC really have great support for the DLE motors. There are quite a few in my club and other than tuning them (which they are sensitive to) they all run great. I have not had a single deadstick with mine (knock on wood) and honestly I haven't touched the needles since I tuned it when it was new. Only issue I had was a broken pitts muffler, hehe. It's all good.....and man I would love to try all three!....
Old Apr 25, 2012, 04:47 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
was your dle the side draft one?
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Apr 25, 2012, 04:59 PM
Joined Dec 2006
406 Posts
Quote:
It's all good.....and man I would love to try all three!....
you are more than welcome anytime!

I'm honestly glad you got a good engine..... I could have sent mine back and got another engine but i am kind of a pitbull about working on things and figuring them out ..... i learned a great deal about these engines in the process for sure... and now i have a trustworthy DLE ( and 4 broken slick landing gear) to show for it. Let me tell you hunting down that metering lever spring was tough.....

honestly though.... if i hadnt had problems with the DLE then i wouldnt have had all the extra engines i needed to buy airframes for! (can you ever have too many airplanes?)
Last edited by racerman27410; Apr 25, 2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 05:24 PM
Joined Dec 2006
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
was your dle the side draft one?
if you are addressing me then no i have a rear carb version..... the whole entire problem with my DLE was a weak metering lever spring.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 05:37 PM
Joined Mar 2012
331 Posts
i had a friend drill the holes in my prop for me cause i dont have the tools and he had the guide and drill press but i dont know what happen. 2 of the holes are perfect but the other 2 are not straight so when i put the bolts in i can only get 3 in and the forth one is a tiny bit off to the side. is there anything i can do to fix it?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:44 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,144 Posts
venomitry I dont have a ton of experience with this but Id probably try expanding the 4th hole with a larger bit. My next concern would be to make sure the prop is centered properly on the motor shaft. otherwise it is going to add a ton of vibration.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:46 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,144 Posts
hopefully someone more experienced who maybe has had that issue before will pipe in.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:42 PM
Joined Dec 2006
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
hopefully someone more experienced who maybe has had that issue before will pipe in.
i wonder if he only drilled the holes from the front side..... he should have turned the prop over and (using the jig) drilled the holes from the back side also.

this makes sure all the holes are square from front to back. Dont worry too much... as long as the center hole is square its all good..... the 4 bolts just supply clamping force.... the center shaft provides the lateral support.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:44 PM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
you are more than welcome anytime!

I'm honestly glad you got a good engine..... I could have sent mine back and got another engine but i am kind of a pitbull about working on things and figuring them out ..... i learned a great deal about these engines in the process for sure... and now i have a trustworthy DLE ( and 4 broken slick landing gear) to show for it. Let me tell you hunting down that metering lever spring was tough.....

honestly though.... if i hadnt had problems with the DLE then i wouldnt have had all the extra engines i needed to buy airframes for! (can you ever have too many airplanes?)
Yeah that would have drove me nuts too and kudos to you for figuring that out!!
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:25 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
be sure to torque those bolts 40 to 45 inch lbs and check them often.
This also goes for the PTE as well. 4 bolt props will break if not kept properly torqued.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:55 PM
Joined Mar 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
i wonder if he only drilled the holes from the front side..... he should have turned the prop over and (using the jig) drilled the holes from the back side also.

this makes sure all the holes are square from front to back. Dont worry too much... as long as the center hole is square its all good..... the 4 bolts just supply clamping force.... the center shaft provides the lateral support.
he told me he drilled front and back when i picked it up but i got it on just had to use some force
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:58 PM
Joined Mar 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
be sure to torque those bolts 40 to 45 inch lbs and check them often.
This also goes for the PTE as well. 4 bolt props will break if not kept properly torqued.
what do you use to do that?