HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:52 PM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VENOMiTry View Post
but on there site it says 4.8v-6.0v for the ignition
I run mine at 5.5V with no issues. I believe 6V is the limit and you definitely do not want to go over. It seems with the higher voltages, people have also experienced more mid-range "gurgling" out of these motors, plus it can be harder on the ignition itself. I use an inline diode from Wrong Way RC to reduce voltage and have around 50 flights on mine without issue.
CRFan1 is offline Find More Posts by CRFan1
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2012, 01:31 PM
United States, MD, Glen Burnie
Joined Mar 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
I run mine at 5.5V with no issues. I believe 6V is the limit and you definitely do not want to go over. It seems with the higher voltages, people have also experienced more mid-range "gurgling" out of these motors, plus it can be harder on the ignition itself. I use an inline diode from Wrong Way RC to reduce voltage and have around 50 flights on mine without issue.
ok so what i got now will work? but might cause problems later on? i think the easiest fix would be to get a 4.8v nimh
VENOMiTry is offline Find More Posts by VENOMiTry
Old Apr 24, 2012, 02:24 PM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
ok so what i got now will work? but might cause problems later on? i think the easiest fix would be to get a 4.8v nimh
That would work just fine......or just get the voltage reducer and use what you got
Old Apr 24, 2012, 03:00 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
Nate, here is a pic of how I did my choke...simple and effective. This is how a lot of guys do it...

I also put my smart switch inside the plane cause there is very little wood to mount it to, lol:

I unfortunately do not have any pics of the battery tray but it's easy enough.
Thanks Tom that is exactly what I was looking for. So it's pretty easy to reach that through the cowl?
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Apr 24, 2012, 03:14 PM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Super easy actually and no cutting required
Old Apr 24, 2012, 03:16 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,060 Posts
I like your creative use of zip ties as well
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Apr 24, 2012, 03:33 PM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
I like your creative use of zip ties as well
Hehehe...I cannot take credit...that came out of the Slick thread I think. Low tech but it works I have also seen people just put a simple aluminum plate under the motor mount screw and run the tube through it if you want to get fancy
Old Apr 24, 2012, 04:39 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,540 Posts
Quote:
but on there site it says 4.8v-6.0v for the ignition
Which site? There is a great planes/hobbico site that is NOT the official DLE-30 website and it is also full of errors.
SnowDog1974 is offline Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Apr 24, 2012, 04:42 PM
Joined Mar 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974 View Post
Which site? There is a great planes/hobbico site that is NOT the official DLE-30 website and it is also full of errors.
http://www.dle-engines.com/dleg0031.html
Old Apr 24, 2012, 04:47 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,540 Posts
Quote:
LOL...that is the hobbico web page (look at the footer)...it is full of errors...there is a DLE-30 thread on RCU that JediJody contributed to and he is *the* expert on that engine.
SnowDog1974 is offline Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Apr 24, 2012, 04:51 PM
Joined Mar 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974 View Post
LOL...that is the hobbico web page (look at the footer)...it is full of errors...there is a DLE-30 thread on RCU that JediJody contributed to and he is *the* expert on that engine.
ok ill check it out
Old Apr 24, 2012, 06:44 PM
United States, NC, Greensboro
Joined Dec 2006
406 Posts
Followup on my OS GT33

Now that i've had a few months with the OS GT33 engine i can honestly say it is "THE" ticket for my 71" slick.

I had some issues initially with it starting backwards but figured out if i just barely bumped the throttle stick it will start correctly every time.

Power is amazing! It has so much more compression than both my DLE30 and PTE36 (which is also a nice powerhouse but LOUD!) the OS will spin a 20x6 prop (or 20A Vess) with authority and superior throttle response that rivals my electric powered planes.

The OS muffler is also very quiet..... quieter than even my DLE 30 with the SDS cannister.

no need to buy another muffler for the OS as its easily the quietest 30+cc gasser i've ever heard.

Tuning is much easier than the DLE and the OS comes with a great tuning guide in the manual to help get it setup perfectly. Now that i have a few gallons of fuel thru it all i have to do is just slightly tweak the low speed needle depending on ambient temps at the field.... no flame outs, no changing tune in mid air..... just a super sweet running ,powerful and dependable engine.

my brother loves the OS so much he did not hesitate to order one for his new gas slick... he has flown both the PTE36 and the DLE and said it was really a no brainer to purchase the OS engine.

it may cost more than the other engines but with tower's super saver discount it only comes out to be about 90 bucks more than the DLE (including the 32 dollar OS 5x44.5mm standoffs that you have to have)

which i figure to get a real muffler or cannister for the DLE you are going to be spending that much extra money(if not more)

for bonus points the OS is completely rebuildable (it has a steel sleeve in the cylinder) should you ever need to.

Fuel economy is also outstanding.... i use a 330ml fiji bottle tank and can easily fly 15 minutes and still have better than 1/4 tank left.

in conclusion I give the OS GT33 and great big thumbs up! worth every penny and then some. ..... I just recieved my 2nd 71" slick in red and im going to put another OS in it also. (the only thing better than one slick is many slicks )

My 25% hanger .... the SBACH has a PTE36, the yak54 is running my old DLE30 w/cannister setup and SLick with the OSGT33

my 2 main go to planes..... 38" EPP slick and 71" Slick

racerman27410 is offline Find More Posts by racerman27410
Last edited by racerman27410; Apr 24, 2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 06:53 PM
Joined Mar 2012
331 Posts
when balancing my 71 gas slick how should i do it with the gas tank empty, half, or full?
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:18 PM
United States, NC, Greensboro
Joined Dec 2006
406 Posts
Quote:
when balancing my 71 gas slick how should i do it with the gas tank empty, half, or full?
I balance mine empty
racerman27410 is offline Find More Posts by racerman27410
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:28 PM
Joined Mar 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerman27410 View Post
I balance mine empty
do you balance it when it sits level or nose down, tail down?