Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 16, 2012, 04:26 PM
United States, MD, Glen Burnie
Joined Mar 2012
331 Posts
can you charge a battery while its hooked up to a voltage regulator?
VENOMiTry is offline Find More Posts by VENOMiTry
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2012, 04:30 PM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,187 Posts
you want your voltage regulator on the other side of your cutoff switch.. ie not between your charge port and your battery.
flyracer is offline Find More Posts by flyracer
Old Apr 16, 2012, 04:35 PM
Joined Mar 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyracer View Post
you want your voltage regulator on the other side of your cutoff switch.. ie not between your charge port and your battery.
ok so i would plug the battery to the switch like normal then the wire that runs to the ignition i would use the regulator there?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 04:37 PM
Joined Mar 2012
331 Posts
if you use that bat share are you charging both batteries at the same time?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 04:50 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,880 Posts
check out the life packs at valuehobby.com. Im using one of those for my ignition and a 2s lipo for my rx. my ignition will take a 2s life unregulated. so I wont have any regulators at all and I get to have lots of voltage for speedy servos
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Apr 16, 2012, 05:27 PM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,187 Posts
check out Smart-Fly (http://www.smart-fly.com) website.. here's a pic of the typical setup with a batery share module and cutoff/isolation switches.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:25 AM
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
692 Posts
Checking CG

I'm trying to finish up my build with still needing to setup/connect the throttle linkage, plum the fuel lines and install the fuel tank, hook up the spark switch, mount the ignition module, install the rx and ignition batteries and install the Rx. I had a question about checking the CG. I know that the ignition module and ignition battery will be mounted on the left and right side of the motor box just behind the engine. I have a good idea where I'm going mount everything else but should I be checking the CG as I'm installing the remaining components? Also when I do check the CG once everything is in it's place, does the furl tank need to be full or empty? Thanks!
RC_Feen is offline Find More Posts by RC_Feen
Old Apr 19, 2012, 01:19 PM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,187 Posts
what I learned from the guy that mentored me into the Gas Aerobatic Airframe scene... put the gas tank all the way back to the wing tube or if at all possible, centered under the wing tube. Fill the tank and then position batteries and regulators to achieve the desired balance.

With the fuel tank close to the wing tube, you'll feel less of an impact in the flight characteristics of the airframe as fuel is burned.

flyracer
Old Apr 19, 2012, 03:19 PM
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyracer View Post
what I learned from the guy that mentored me into the Gas Aerobatic Airframe scene... put the gas tank all the way back to the wing tube or if at all possible, centered under the wing tube. Fill the tank and then position batteries and regulators to achieve the desired balance.

With the fuel tank close to the wing tube, you'll feel less of an impact in the flight characteristics of the airframe as fuel is burned.

flyracer
Thanks!
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:15 PM
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
692 Posts
More Traffic/post!

We need more traffic in this 71 Slick gas thread! I've been building my 71 slick but the build manual is lacking. The key points that need to be addressed IMHO is the throttle servo setup/placement, linkage based on the motor selection. I started off using the DLE30 rear carb engine but switched to the OS GT33 based on the feedback from Joe Smith and father. Now this transitioned to the need for a different spinner adapter and what will work with the OS GT33. I've just got through this and know what will work with the OS GT33 having the right stand-offs to get the right gap with the cowl. I'll post my setup in a few days if not within the next few weeks. I check the 3DHS 71 Slick electric thread but the gas stuff is hard to sift through to find the right information you need for the questions you have on the setup for the 71" Slick gas. Lets stick to this thread for the 71" Slick Gas for information needed for the build/setup. Just my opinion. Thanks!
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:16 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Feen View Post
We need more traffic in this 71 Slick gas thread! I've been building my 71 slick but the build manual is lacking. The key points that need to be addressed IMHO is the throttle servo setup/placement, linkage based on the motor selection. I started off using the DLE30 rear carb engine but switched to the OS GT33 based on the feedback from Joe Smith and father. Now this transitioned to the need for a different spinner adapter and what will work with the OS GT33. I've just got through this and know what will work with the OS GT33 having the right stand-offs to get the right gap with the cowl. I'll post my setup in a few days if not within the next few weeks. I check the 3DHS 71 Slick electric thread but the gas stuff is hard to sift through to find the right information you need for the questions you have on the setup for the 71" Slick gas. Lets stick to this thread for the 71" Slick Gas for information needed for the build/setup. Just my opinion. Thanks!
I agree 100%. My build hasn't had much progress in the last week or so but we just got a bunch of stuff in the brown truck to finish it off. Expecting one more delivery... the TME Pro Smoke Oil Pump http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAZRJ&P=ML
Old Apr 20, 2012, 07:49 AM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Mine has been done a while so any questions, just ask guys
CRFan1 is offline Find More Posts by CRFan1
Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:26 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,504 Posts
feen I'm really interested in how that OS runs keep us posted.
Nate I can't wait for your flight report.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:44 AM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
feen I'm really interested in how that OS runs keep us posted.
Nate I can't wait for your flight report.
I will second that!
CRFan1 is offline Find More Posts by CRFan1
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:19 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,880 Posts
Ya I'm countin the days guys My maiden will be on May 4th or 5th depending on when my buddy can get down here with the plane. So... it could be two weeks from today