SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:02 AM
United States, IN, La Porte
Joined Apr 2008
116 Posts
Ah, I found the Slick gas thread! I asked a couple of questions over on the electric Slick thread, didnt get much of a reply. Basically, I just wanted to know how long of servo arms to get and whether or not to use 2 elevator servos or just one. I think I have my questions answered. The manual doesnt explain a whole lot, but I've assembled many 50cc planes so I can figure most of it out. I picked this Slick up at Toledo over the weekend, going to put a DLE 30 with a canister in it... Should be a blast!
Sewerdude is offline Find More Posts by Sewerdude
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:16 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,011 Posts
Sewerdude congrats on the slick. I'm in a similar boat. I found the manual to be woefully inadequate concerning a gas setup. I am only using one elevator servo with around 230 oz/in of torque. I am told there will be balance issues if you dont put servos in the tail.
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:06 AM
United States, IN, La Porte
Joined Apr 2008
116 Posts
Yes I heard or read the same thing about keeping the servos in the tail. I've got some Hitec 985's and 5645's that I'll use. Now I'm just wanting on some odds and ends to get here that I ordered.
Sewerdude is offline Find More Posts by Sewerdude
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:44 PM
United States, MD, Glen Burnie
Joined Mar 2012
331 Posts
can you use 6 channels on a 71 gas slick or do you need more channels? what im looking for is some pics of the inside of the plane how people have there receiver and batteries setup. anyone have pics like that?
VENOMiTry is offline Find More Posts by VENOMiTry
Old Apr 16, 2012, 02:02 PM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VENOMiTry View Post
can you use 6 channels on a 71 gas slick or do you need more channels? what im looking for is some pics of the inside of the plane how people have there receiver and batteries setup. anyone have pics like that?
You can get by with 6 channels......I use an AR6210 Rx but it depends on your set up. I am using a single, 2300 mah A123 into a smart switch with dual power out leads to power everything (Ignition and Rx). I am also using an Optical kill switch that goes into the gear slot. So 5 servos and an optical kill takes all 6 slots. What I did to take advantage of the smart switch dual power outs is put a Y on the throttle slot....one goes to the throttle servo and the second power lead goes into the Y for redundancy. Obviously this is easier with a 7 channel Rx but I had a 6210 laying around. I have probably close to 50 flights and it works flawlessly. I was also going for the lightest set up I could. I use an 8 Ounce tank and full of fuel I came in at 10.5 pounds. My friends slick with a cannister and dual batteries comes in at closer to 11.5 pounds.
CRFan1 is offline Find More Posts by CRFan1
Old Apr 16, 2012, 02:04 PM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Sewerdude congrats on the slick. I'm in a similar boat. I found the manual to be woefully inadequate concerning a gas setup. I am only using one elevator servo with around 230 oz/in of torque. I am told there will be balance issues if you dont put servos in the tail.
Actually, even putting the servo in the tail, you will most likely need to still install a battery tray further back by the rear of the hatch (aft of the pull pull servo slot area)
Old Apr 16, 2012, 02:44 PM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,196 Posts
I'm using the stock (1.25") arms that came with the Futaba S3051HV servos for the elevator and ailerons.... and a phenolic offset 3" double arm for the pull pull rudder.

I get 45+ degrees deflection on the elevator... plenty of authority all the way around for 3D-ability

Flyracer
flyracer is offline Find More Posts by flyracer
Old Apr 16, 2012, 02:54 PM
Joined Mar 2012
331 Posts
i wanna run seperate batteries one for ignition one for rx. what batteries would be good for that? im going with a dle30cc and the ignition can only take a 4.8 and my receiver can take up to 9 volts i think so any idea on batteries? and high voltage servos btw.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 03:04 PM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
i wanna run seperate batteries one for ignition one for rx. what batteries would be good for that? im going with a dle30cc and the ignition can only take a 4.8 and my receiver can take up to 9 volts i think so any idea on batteries? and high voltage servos btw.
Just go with a regular old NiMH 4.8 volt pack for ignition and if you are using high voltage servos I would do a 2 cell Lipo (7.4 volts) in like a 2200 mah capacity. There are plenty of options that I am sure others will chime in with.

I am curious why everyone insists on running a seperate ignition battery though My single A123 with a simple diode to the ignition (5 volts) works awesome. All the stuff can be had from Rich at Wrong Way Rc too. The beauty of the A123 is I generally do 4 flights and it takes about 7-8 minutes to fully charge...you can fly all day without issue
Old Apr 16, 2012, 03:06 PM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,196 Posts
I use a battery share module with two 1700mah 6.6v LiFe packs for the AR7000 and servos... I run a single 1450mah 4.8v NiMh pack for my ignition.

I gone five (5) 12 minute flights on one round of charging in an afternoon....
Old Apr 16, 2012, 03:09 PM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,196 Posts
I ALWAYS USE A BATTERY SHARE SETUP for my receiver and servos.....
Old Apr 16, 2012, 03:11 PM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,196 Posts
on my big 87" 3DHS Extra300SHP I use the AR9100 with the powersafe dual battery setup and two 2100mah 6.6v LiFe Packs...
Old Apr 16, 2012, 03:22 PM
Joined Mar 2012
331 Posts
dont all 2s 7.4v batteries need to be balanced when charged? i was thinking about a A123 1100mah 6.6v life battery for rx. how many flights do you think that will last before recharging? im using Hitec HS-7954SH Digital Servos. dont know if that helps to give that info.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 03:37 PM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
dont all 2s 7.4v batteries need to be balanced when charged? i was thinking about a A123 1100mah 6.6v life battery for rx. how many flights do you think that will last before recharging? im using Hitec HS-7954SH Digital Servos. dont know if that helps to give that info.
A123s are excellent and with the 1100mah not sure how many that would be because the way you fly has a big impact on that number. I have a simple charger from wrongway RC that plugs into my 12V power panel...I plug it in and in 7 minutes it's done So even if you do say 2 flights and recharge it's not a big deal because it is done charging before you are even ready to fly again, hehe.

There are many ways to do a setup and I would do what is comfortable for you.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 04:13 PM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,196 Posts
The most flights I've ever gone on either my 71" Slick/DLE30 or the 87" Extra/DLE55 is 5 flights on one round of charging... I have a small field charger I can run off a portable battery and it takes maybe 7 to 10 mins to charge the packs full again.