SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by Sandancer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 07, 2011, 01:28 AM
"Auntie Samantha"
Sandancer's Avatar
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Build Log
Starmax 63" P-51 "Gunfighter": The Wings.



I wasn't comfortable with the way the ailerons were extended to the wing tips, so I decided to make mine accurate and scale.

My thoughts that this would increase the chance of a tip stall was confirmed by Tom H, and he agreed. To quote Tom: "You have to stop an aileron a good full tip chord from the end of the wing to keep the down aileron from inducing a tip stall."

So I went to work to correct this. First I filled the tip grooves with several layers of epoxy. To help reinforce & strengthen the wing tips, I shoved a .098 X 3.5" CF rod in just shy of the nav light. I then started the process of filling and sanding, and once that was all done, I cut the control surfaces out of the wings. I re-hinged using the Super hinges from HK and medium CA. Once everything looked good to me, I repainted the wings with Krylon Metallic Bright Silver.

I had planned on adding new invasion strips because the stock stripes were to wide for the Gunfighter and overlapped the gas cap indention's. I'll use Oracal 651 Intermediate vinyl for my striping.

UP-DATE 5/18/2011: Because of the various mods, eg: Ailerons, re-hinging, LG brackets, & Bomb pylons, I wanted get these done independently before I assembled the 2 wing halves into a 1-Piece wing. To do so, I cut two .394 spars 7" long, and used them to anchor both wings together fore and aft. Once everything was test fitted, I applied GG, set the wings, and waited for the glue to cure out. I'm going to use a couple of 4mm x 80mm Hex head cap screws to anchor the wings to the fuse, as I have had some difficulty with the Phillips head screws in the past that come from these manufactures.

Once the Krylon Bright Silver was applied I proceeded to apply all my striping using Oracal 651 vinyl. I used the Black for the invasion strips, and the White for the gray footing strips along the fuse line. Because the Oracal vinyl is paintable I could cut my own strips and paint them to match. I cut a couple of strips 1/2" wide, painted them with the Krylon silver and used the to cover the Nav light channels, and to cover that seam between the two wing halves. I added my own more scale gas caps to the wings, and then applied the red trim to the flap corners. The original Gunfighter doesn't have the red striping on the starboard wing, but I added my own embellishing and applied them there as well. Also, if you noitice, the red strips that run down the side of the fuse are supposed to meet with the red strip on the flaps, but Starmax missed that one. I hope to correct that if I ever do a re-paint. I also added a couple of No Step decals as well.

To make the 1-Piece wing as functional as I could get it, I would need to re-do the wiring harness. So once again I used a 14-Pin multiplex header to make the task of un-plugging the wings more pleasurable.
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Sandancer; Aug 21, 2012 at 06:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2011, 12:35 PM
Registered User
flmlm's Avatar
Holly Hill, Fl.
Joined Mar 2005
710 Posts
Multiplex Connector looks like a real good idea. I've been wanting to do something myself to make assemble and electronic hook up easier at the field. Can't transport mine in one piece thats for sure.

Regards
Mike
flmlm is offline Find More Posts by flmlm
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools