HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by boingk, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 06, 2011, 10:24 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Discussion
P-40 Aerobatics & Balsa Projects

As the title might suggest, this installment primarily consists of my progress flying the FMS Mini P-40 and building of some balsa projects.

First up, here the P-40. Its all sorted out now and flies very well. I found the biggest difference to be the removal of the landing gear. It flies much better without them and bellies in fine for landings... provided you've got some grass cover. It cuts through the wind well, too, as you'll see in the video.

FMS Mini P 40 Aerobatics (2 min 55 sec)

The balsa projects include the aforementioned Stevens Aero 'QuickOats 100' and my version of the StevensAero 'Adrenaline Rush', both reported to be fun planes to fly and not too challenging to build. The last balsa model I built was about 15 years ago as a kid, and these models are just fine for somone like me who is good with their hands but not too experienced in kit building.

Progress on the QuickOats is good, I've just got to finish the tail assembly and wait for my ordering of covering film to show up. It'll most likely be blue all over unless I order some more colours. I'd like a mix of clear, white and blue covering but I'll see what happens.

Progress on the Rush is alright, but I'm held up by the lack of motor mount... I ordered a while ago and its still not here. Whats gives, HK? Whatever, its not a big deal, just means I can't get it airworthy for a while yet. Heres the progress:

The equipment there is what I'll be running it with and consists of:

OrangeRx 2.4ghz DSM2-comptible Rx (caseless)
Hextronik 24g 3000kv motor w/4x2.5 prop
HobbyKing Super Simple 8/10A ESC
Rhino 3s 20c 610mAh lipoly
HXT900 servos

Should work out alright with a projected AUW of <160g, and I've got some 5x3 and 4.75x4.75 props hanging around if it needs more thrust/speed. I doubt it will for some reason. The QuickOats will just be using the insides from my old PZ UM '51.

Thats about it for this update, apart from the useful tip that No. 16 rubber bands work particularly well as prop-saver rubbers if you double them over a few times.

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Last edited by boingk; Apr 06, 2011 at 10:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2011, 09:55 AM
3D All Day Every Day - 112cc!!
Australia, WA, Wembley
Joined Feb 2010
122 Posts
Hotliner/Glider/Warmliner... It's nice!!!

Did you finish this? Is it quick?? Very Minimal and sleek, love your design's mate, true craftsmen and I bey your not bad on the sticks!!

Cheers,

J
EMBER BENDER is offline Find More Posts by EMBER BENDER