HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Apr 06, 2011, 06:37 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,420 Posts
Cool
Hey Chuck! MiG-15 UTI RT Models Second chance.

My good friend in S. Fla, sent me another kit from his archive. His generosity with his "never-to-build" kits, is very much apprieciated. Thank you Chuck! Someday I'll return to PBC, and we'll have a good time!

My first try, with the RT MiG, was a successful maiden, only to have the harsh, hard March grass, rip off the port wing. That was the full built-up version, and can be seen here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=rt+mig+15

This is the foam wing, flying stab and vertical, version. I also downsized the fan to 66mm 505 Wemo, ARC 28-37-2, 4s 2200. Good for 300+W over the first minifan, HET 2W, 3700 3s version. First version was supplied by Mark Turner himself, along with the HET 2W, for me making a set of intake molds.

I wanted this version to be lighter. Through airframe weight and power system, weight. Since the first "15", I have progressed much further in my understanding of EDF power systems. In the "old day's", we were forced, more or less, to use high Kv motors and 8-12 round cells. Motors like the HET 2W and Mega /2 were good for 8-10 cells in the minifan. But the packs were heavy. And duration was short.

The advent of usable "C" rating LiPo's improved. And 20c 3s packs in the 3000-3700Mah size were a good replacement, for the round cells. And some weight savings showed good future promise. Still high amp/low volt system, tho...Then I switched to smaller 4s and HET 3W and Mega /3. Same power, half the weight. And cells improved to 25-30c and up.

So now I can go even smaller on the fan dia and still get the same thrust/weight ratio(or higher), but with a much higher efflux speed, lighter system weight, for a much improved flight at lower thrtl settings.

I started this last friday nite. Fuselage is glassed, all other surfaces are silkspan and lacquer. Not so much a build thread, as just showing an approach to an old kit, that I know are hanging around out there. The original flew on a 75mm KY fan, AP motor and 7cell, for 300W as in the old T-33/F-16.

Fuzz
St. Martin is online now Find More Posts by St. Martin
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2011, 07:30 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,420 Posts
And, finally, for tonite. Wings are attached using Gorrila PU glue in the spar slots. Incidence lines were drawn. And alignment blocks tacked to wing underside. Later epoxy/talc fillet will be added to vertical and wing joint.

Starting to look MiG like.

Fuzz
Old Apr 09, 2011, 08:46 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,420 Posts
Working on the stabilators, now. Paint is Krylon Aluminum and Banner Red. Stars are Mono-Kote trim sheet. 16 oz with just the ail servos.

Fuzz
Old Apr 10, 2011, 02:34 AM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,420 Posts
I've noticed a trend in the last few yrs, with the interest in "built" jets from the old conventional materials, diminish sharply. Seeing as it's a kit, scratch built jets forum is out. I was hoping to see others that may have input to share. And possibly help to incite others to show, or build the many kits that are out there.

Oh..well..sign of the times. This forum has much more interest in the high pre-fab market. Seeing as I only build scale type jets, I'll take the lead of a few others, and post in the scale forum. About a 99% following in the old school of building materials there.

I think they should have called the scratch-built forum, the built-up forum. This type of jet seems so out of place here.

Fuzz
Closed Thread