SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Boomer1, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 06, 2011, 12:52 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,558 Posts
Discussion
Shopping for my next plane

I am in the middle of shopping for my next plane and looking at a few different models. I am looking planes that are beginner friendly.

I like scale appearence, and tend to favor those planes that are more realistic looking. I like foam aircraft for their durability, and ease of repairing. Foamies are getting more realistic, and less toy like.

The ElectroStik is reported to be one of the more user friendly aerobatic trainners around. The Big Senorita is reported to be friendly to pilots at the beginner and novice levels.

The Cessna 350 maybe too advanced a plane for me at this point. It has flaps and those can be tricky to use. It is a very good looking plane and maybe to pretty to crash. I am in the midst of reading reviews on these and some others.

Any suggestions are welcomed.
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2011, 04:27 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,571 Posts
Hey Boomer,
This guy is very similar to one of the choices. We have several guys in our club that are using this plane. Most of them low hours newbies. It's durable. We have one that we have been using as a target plane. It's been crashed countless times, has been flown by a bunch of beginners and take full on contact hits all the time. Looks like it may be what you are after
http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy893...rf-silver.html
-Peace
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Apr 06, 2011, 05:26 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,571 Posts
RC Combat -- TARGET SKY TRAINER! (4 min 23 sec)

Video of the "Target Plane" in action
Old Apr 06, 2011, 07:01 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Hi mate, seems there are a lot of people looking for planes this time of year!

If I were to go for another trainer type plane I would get another of the HobbyKing 'J3 Green' (really the military version, an L-4) that I've built up from their kit. Very inexpensive, tough as hell, flies nicely and doesn't look too bad - especially if you're into warbirds or just want something a bit different.

HobbyKing J3 Aerobatics (5 min 27 sec)

Check out my blog for further info including what I equipped it with. I would not recommend buying the pre-equipped version as I've found most stock servos at this level to be pretty average and you can build yours up with quality components for almost the same price, sometimes less.

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Apr 06, 2011, 07:49 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,558 Posts
Hey
Thank you very much for your suggestion. I really enjoyed your video, and curious about how who shot what appears to be in the air footage?

I visist Nitro's web site, read what info they post on this plane. My concerns about this company began once I read me their so called warranty. It must have been written written by a grade school drop out!

A major concern is they won't take back any thing if the box has been opened. How would anyone know if they received a defective product
without opening the box. I called them held for 20 mins gave up then tried their "live chat" on line help line. No luck there. I read the reviews posted on their site - all we positive on the flying characteristics, but not impressed with the motor, front wheel set up, on the overall attention to detail from the factory. It comes in a silver painted foam which is a turn off. I wanted to see if they offered in white but-they never responded to any attempts to contact them.

I guess, for $90 bucks you can't expect much. I will keep in on the list
Thank you!
Boomer
Old Apr 06, 2011, 07:51 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,558 Posts
G'day Mate
Thanks for the suggestion on the HK plane. I have a Super Cub, so the 'J3 Green' is some what similar. Like to get something more exciting.
Such do appreciate your suggestion.
Boomer
Old Apr 06, 2011, 08:03 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,571 Posts
Boomer,
I haven't really dealt with the company enough to vouch for it. What little experience I have had with them has been fine. The only way to tell is to see how they deal when there IS a problem. I have had good experience with Horizon Hobby from a customer service standpoint. Anyhow, there are lots of good planes out there. Happy hunting
Cheers
Old Apr 06, 2011, 08:24 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,558 Posts
Really appreciate your comments. I purchased a Sky Surfure from Banana Hobbies, which appears to be a similar company, glad to report the deal went flawlessly and the plane is super. 100% problem free, so who knows.

I really perfer the white version were I do move forward on ordering one.

Time will tell
Boomer
Old Apr 06, 2011, 09:19 PM
Dues Ex Machina
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Nov 2009
268 Posts
Hangar 9 Stick (any one) you wont be sorry. I have done more with my stick than I could imagine doing with any other plane.
TheMadBombster is offline Find More Posts by TheMadBombster
Old Apr 06, 2011, 11:46 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
No worries Boomer, and good to hear you got the Surfer - the video sure shows it can take a beating! I was confused at first until i realised they were using it as a target plane for prctise. I'm sitting there thinking 'Come on, snap roll. Snap roll! AHHH!'

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers - boingk
Old Apr 07, 2011, 11:52 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadBombster View Post
Hangar 9 Stick (any one) you wont be sorry. I have done more with my stick than I could imagine doing with any other plane.
I checked this plane out, and really like it, but have small two issues with it. One it is larger that my storage space permits, and most important, it is pretty expensive.

My plan is to keep my planes in a price range that permits me to continue to learn within my budget. The fellows in our club have convinced me that
"it is not wether I will crash, it is when". So, having accepted this as a reality of this hobby, I feel buying expensive airplanes would be more or less "nuts" and masochistic on my part.

So far, I have been fortunate, and my aircrafts have been forgiving enough that I have been able to avoid damages. I stress the words, "so far".

I work at this, and practice on my GP simulator daily to develop pilot and flying instincts. I have worked up to flying at the highest level settings on the simulator, and have set it up for random flame outs, cross winds, and any other things the software can through at me.

I look forward to improving and learning how to do some of the maneuvers my pals are able to pull off. These guys make it look so simple. I can see it takes years to get to that level, and know too, that it takes crashing some nice hardware to get to that point.

I asked our club's best pilot what it took to get to his level? Pete smiled, and in his Scottish brogue said "about seven airplanes".

Boomer
Old Apr 07, 2011, 08:22 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Quote:
My plan is to keep my planes in a price range that permits me to continue to learn within my budget.
Wise decision. I'm doing the same thing, and have capped a budget of about $100 (to flight ready) per plane, although in practise I haven't come close to it yet with my last several. Another thing that will help you is trying to standardise electronics and batteries. so you can switch between planes.

What kind of maneuvers are you trying to do?

Cheers - boingk
Old Apr 07, 2011, 10:23 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boingk View Post
Wise decision. I'm doing the same thing, and have capped a budget of about $100 (to flight ready) per plane, although in practise I haven't come close to it yet with my last several. Another thing that will help you is trying to standardise electronics and batteries. so you can switch between planes.

What kind of maneuvers are you trying to do?

Cheers - boingk

boingk
Regarding maneuvers -First would be landing, beyond that I can do simple rolls and loops,figure 8 loops, just starting inverted loops and flight. I'd like to figure out how to fly a plane on it's side. The Sky Surfer is deceptively aerobatic with the upgrade to a brushless motor, so it has some juice to do the maneuvers. I am very careful when doing this stuff and practice each outing, so I can develop more confidence and ability.
I am using an Airtronics RDS 8000 7 channel 2.4 GHz radio and receivers on all of my rc sailboats and planes, so what ever plane I buy I won't need those items. I have a bunch of batteries, so I am good there too.

I was looking on line again today and have come up with a revised list of planes. Unfortunately, I like all of them. The Switch has my attention, but so far I can only find it as RTR, which puts it beyond my target pricing.

Hobbico FlyZone Cessna 350 Corvalis Rx-R 57 $179.97
Hobbico FlyZone Cessna 182 Skylane Select Scale EP Rx-R $159.99
Hobbico Flyzone Switch EP 2.4GHz RTF 45" $329.97
LXXFY6 Great Planes Super Sportster Brushless ARF 48" $84.98 (needs 3 micro or mini servos, brushless motor, 45A ESC, prop,)
SIG BIG SENIORITA EP - 63" Radio Remote Control RC Trainer Plane ARF $79.00 (needs brushless motor, ESC, 4 Standard Servos, Prop.)
Great Planes ElectroStik EP ARF 52.5" $ 114.99 (needs 4 SERVOS, 6" MOTOR, ESC)
Value Hobby 49in Electric Yak-54 Aerobatic Plane ARF (needs 4 SERVOS, 6" MOTOR, ESC, prop)

I am sure there will be more planes to consider. I have an extra motor, ESC and a bunch of servos, so if I can match them up to one the planes needing these items, that would be a no brainer.

No hurry, and looking is fun and educational. I think the two Cessna's are very good values and appear to be nice planes.

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Apr 11, 2011 at 12:06 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 12:10 AM
Fixed wing fanatic
United States, OR, Hermiston
Joined Apr 2011
183 Posts
I have both an Electrostik and a Super Sportster EP. I have been flying for about 2 years now - mostly foamies, a sailplane, and simulator time. Here are my thoughts - the Sportster flies awesome! Roll rate is super slow and it glides fast (and forever!). It moves pretty fast too, and I do not think it would make a great beginner plane, but probably a good first low-wing plane, as it was for me.

The electrostik is super easy to fly if you use a basic 3 cell lipo setup. It is light and floaty and not fast. Landing is easy as pie. It was actually quite a bit easier to fly that my first (short lived) trainer - a PT 60. It can do some aerobatics, but I found myself fighting to keep it in the air at 60% throttle. With a 4 cell, this plane is a BLAST. I LOVE IT. I actually even like it better than the Super Sportster.
neddis is offline Find More Posts by neddis
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:41 PM
Champaign, Il
Joined Apr 2007
278 Posts
The Switch is a good option if you are looking to progress quickly as the low wing version flies well. The Electrostick is a good all around plane.
Avoid the Yak especially if you are starting out as it's just to reactive and the setup can get you in trouble quick. It's easy to miss a warped aileron (I know from experience) or set-up the TX incorrectly. It's not hard, but can be tricky - especially when you start doing some mixing.
The Flyzone Cessna 350 Corvalis is actually good choice. Flies easy, and is made of EPO so it can really take a beating. It goes together quick and takes out many of the build issues or mistakes you could make at the field. Plus it is fun to fly. Given that you have some help available and experience on the sim I would not hesitate to suggest the Electrostick or the Corvalis. Both will do you very well, but the Corvalis is a little more damage proof. You'll find that either plane will help push your flying skills further as well. That's why I'd probably not choose the Cessna 182 or the SIG. You may find them too tame. Fun, but they are more for a relaxed flying experience. Something you will come to appreciate in time.
My_design is offline Find More Posts by My_design