HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Jim T. Graham, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 06:26 AM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,491 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
Its funny that I found this thread. I sold something to someone the other day. I still have only spoke to him through text. He asked me if he could pay part with a credit card and I saif yes, But I did not want to be stuck with the 3% so add that. He said he would send as gift. I had never used this option before and am in NO way trying to deceive paypal.

Im glad I read this thread. In my case, who is more at risk ?
Dale 813 is offline Find More Posts by Dale 813
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2011, 07:18 AM
Let slip the dogs of war!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,723 Posts
Trader Rating: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale 813 View Post
Im glad I read this thread. In my case, who is more at risk ?
The buyer is at more risk, because there is no recourse for him if he does not receive his item or it is significantly not as described. You're also at risk for violating PayPal's terms of service. Though I doubt it will happen, PP could terminate your account.
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Last edited by Park_Flyer; Nov 07, 2011 at 02:09 PM. Reason: buyer not seller
Old Nov 22, 2011, 01:48 AM
gracef
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Highly Offensive Content (Immediate suspension). It is temporarily hidden while gracef edits it.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 12:49 AM
United States, OR
Joined Feb 2011
393 Posts
Trader Rating: 4
Rules bent but not broken...

I bought a tx, for parts only, and paid an RCGroups seller PayPal funds as a "gift". The seller didn't make any money from the transaction, because he only charged me S&H.
So I don't fret if PayPal didn't make any money on the transaction, either! Also, the package was sent via USPS, which has been insolvent for years!

Meanwhile, I'm currently disputing an eBay transaction, with an international seller, and recently escalated the "dispute" to a "claim".
So, yes...time is money, and PayPal's buyer/seller "protection" is sometimes more trouble than it's worth.
ssautter is offline Find More Posts by ssautter
Old Dec 19, 2011, 09:15 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Feb 2007
340 Posts
Trader Rating: 9
Can someone come up with a link that shows "all web" transactions as buyer protected? To date, that certainly hasn't been the case, although there is a chargeback option for those funded with CC and willing to risk a PP account..
dcg9381 is offline Find More Posts by dcg9381
Old Dec 24, 2011, 04:54 PM
United States, CO, Dacono
Joined Nov 2010
695 Posts
Trader Rating: 67
To rell you the truth guys, payal has been skimming my profits on Ebay for years, I have no problem if someone pays with the "gift" option. Ebay charges me %10 which is highway robbery since they do absolutely nothing for it, and Paypal is just as bad. I know it can be bad for buyers but that happens in face to face transactions also. I worked for over 10 years to get my 100% feedback on Ebay and I treat any buyer here fair as well without having to get Paypal involved over a dipute. I look at every transaction as a verbal handshake deal and it's to be honored. The gift option is good with me. I wonder if this thread was instigated by or influenced by Paypal?
cherokeenut is offline Find More Posts by cherokeenut
Old Dec 24, 2011, 06:57 PM
Killin'em with a beat up pike!
Airplane Heaven
Joined Nov 2005
26 Posts
Trader Rating: 7
I personally hate paypal and think it and It's owner eBay both suck. I sold a twin saito to a guy in Germany and did all his send as gift and do all this for me crap. To only get it sent back to me in not the same condition and they give him money back and over drafted my bank account before saying anything to me. EBay gets 10% which is total B S and then paypal gets into the pile to total crap. So don't think that they don't give people back money or whatever. Cause they do and sometimes not to the right person. It's up to whoever at eBay which is more than likley some bugger picking nerd that doesn't know crap about anything. I am done with them both and hope eBay flops with paypal.
Crash landing B is online now Find More Posts by Crash landing B
Old Dec 24, 2011, 07:49 PM
Joined Nov 2010
695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash landing B View Post
I personally hate paypal and think it and It's owner eBay both suck. I sold a twin saito to a guy in Germany and did all his send as gift and do all this for me crap. To only get it sent back to me in not the same condition and they give him money back and over drafted my bank account before saying anything to me. EBay gets 10% which is total B S and then paypal gets into the pile to total crap. So don't think that they don't give people back money or whatever. Cause they do and sometimes not to the right person. It's up to whoever at eBay which is more than likley some bugger picking nerd that doesn't know crap about anything. I am done with them both and hope eBay flops with paypal.
My feelings exactly.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 08:33 PM
UP ELEVATOR!!!! OOPS
Houston Tx.
Joined Jan 2006
92 Posts
Trader Rating: 119
Paypal

I have dealt with paypal since 1996 both with Ebay and others that
use paypal. I have never had a problem with them, and, they do give
both parties some security (except with the gift option).
I have never known them to charge more than 3-3.5 percent.
the seller should always include that in their asking price.
That's a small price to pay for security.

Smitty
dhsmith1 is offline Find More Posts by dhsmith1
Old Dec 24, 2011, 08:54 PM
Joined Nov 2010
695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhsmith1 View Post
I have dealt with paypal since 1996 both with Ebay and others that
use paypal. I have never had a problem with them, and, they do give
both parties some security (except with the gift option).
I have never known them to charge more than 3-3.5 percent.
the seller should always include that in their asking price.
That's a small price to pay for security.

Smitty
That's easy for you to say, then when the auction closes I get slammed with less than 5 stars for "inflating shipping fee's". It's been a loosing deal for sellers since about 2 years ago. I'd much rather sell here or on Craigslist, much better folks on both anyway usually.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:25 PM
United States, OR
Joined Feb 2011
393 Posts
Trader Rating: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssautter View Post
I bought a tx, for parts only, and paid an RCGroups seller PayPal funds as a "gift". The seller didn't make any money from the transaction, because he only charged me S&H.
So I don't fret if PayPal didn't make any money on the transaction, either! Also, the package was sent via USPS, which has been insolvent for years!

Meanwhile, I'm currently disputing an eBay transaction, with an international seller, and recently escalated the "dispute" to a "claim".
So, yes...time is money, and PayPal's buyer/seller "protection" is sometimes more trouble than it's worth.
Just an update....PayPal decided the filed dispute, in my favor, for a refund of 4USD.

....after a week of heckling with the seller over damaged merchandise.
ssautter is offline Find More Posts by ssautter
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:44 PM
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Sep 2009
108 Posts
Trader Rating: 70
I have been dealing with paypal and ebay sense 1991 and i have 100%feedback with over 572k in sales and over 400 + pos. feedback, If you lie you will get whats coming so just tell the truth and talk to the person your selling or buying from and everything will go smooth, if not you did not ask enough questions. I have sold high dollar items on ebay some show cars worth 70/80k and never once had a problem, I ask for a 500.00 deposit with paypal they take there fees I get my money the part comes picks up the car and gives me the remainder in cash or we go to the back and transfer funs.
My mother always told me YOU LIE AND YOU WILL EAT YOUR WORDS.
its just not worth it, mark your items up the 3.5% and then you don't have to tell your potential buyer he has to pay, to me I think you cheap basta>< and I won't buy from them just put it in your price leave off the penny's, it has been working for me for years.
DON'T LIE to save a couple of bucks because it will bite you in the ass.
2.4ghz is offline Find More Posts by 2.4ghz
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:55 PM
10,000th Post!!!
Joined Oct 2007
169 Posts
Trader Rating: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.4ghz View Post
I have been dealing with paypal and ebay sense 1991
That's remarkable,considering it wasn't until Sept of 1995,that ebay was founded.And Paypal didn't exist for 4 or 5 more years.
Lucky Guy is offline Find More Posts by Lucky Guy
Old Jan 25, 2012, 08:03 AM
United States, MD, Frostburg
Joined Aug 2008
1,435 Posts
Trader Rating: 36

Good research!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky guy View Post
that's remarkable,considering it wasn't until sept of 1995,that ebay was founded.and paypal didn't exist for 4 or 5 more years.
4075aaron is offline Find More Posts by 4075aaron
Old Jan 25, 2012, 08:51 AM
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Sep 2009
108 Posts
Trader Rating: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Guy View Post
That's remarkable,considering it wasn't until Sept of 1995,that ebay was founded.And Paypal didn't exist for 4 or 5 more years.
opps wrong stroke of the keys
1999 sorry and I have been with paypal sense 2000
wow you thought it was a lie
2.4ghz is offline Find More Posts by 2.4ghz
Last edited by 2.4ghz; Jan 25, 2012 at 09:00 AM.