HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 06, 2011, 11:59 AM
Canada, ON, North Bay
Joined Mar 2011
133 Posts
Discussion
Flying without traditional radio?

I am a noob when it comes to R/C stuff and I have been looking to get into FPV flying with a computer Joystick.

I see alot of projects that convert the Joystick's outputs to PPM to be transmitted by that radio after connecting it to the trainer port.

Would I even need to buy a radio controller or could I just wire the signal directly to a UHF LRS module, or any other module intended for the trainer port?
Haggerty00 is offline Find More Posts by Haggerty00
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2011, 02:30 PM
Sao Paulo, Brasil
Joined Aug 2004
600 Posts
You could do that, but even the worst RC radio is most reliable than a PC (no blue screen of death, no freezings, no delays when it decides to run antivirus on sunday afternoon, and so on...)
alexcmag is offline Find More Posts by alexcmag
Old Apr 06, 2011, 03:00 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggerty00 View Post
I am a noob when it comes to R/C stuff and I have been looking to get into FPV flying with a computer Joystick.

I see a lot of projects that convert the Joystick's outputs to PPM to be transmitted by that radio after connecting it to the trainer port.

Would I even need to buy a radio controller or could I just wire the signal directly to a UHF LRS module, or any other module intended for the trainer port?
Don't even think about it. You need the most direct and reliable connection to the model you can manage. Introducing a computer into the loop simply complicates things.

Before you can learn to fly FPV you need to learn to fly the conventional way, using a transmitter with sticks and your own direct vision.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Apr 06, 2011, 04:08 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggerty00 View Post
I see alot of projects that convert the Joystick's outputs to PPM to be transmitted by that radio after connecting it to the trainer port.
As per posts 2 & 3, but you can adapt a good transmitter to use in similar manner to a joystick -
Adapting a TX for an enthusiastic paraplegic pilot
Flying Chair
more under
Sub section "Disabled, handicapped? - how to overcome disabilities to use RC" at
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links may provide ideas/assistance.

Alan T.

(quick search = Ctrl+F)
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.