Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,763 Posts
Discussion
A Gar Wood you didn't know...

Shiny mahogany?

NOT!

Gar Wood had a machine shop... I think he did pumps and such? He supplied winches to Uncle Sam for the DUKWs in WW2.
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2011, 08:51 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,730 Posts
Garwood invented the mechanism that raises and lowers the bed on a dump truck. Revolutionized the dumptruck industry. No doubt he came up with a lot more stuff that the military found very usefull. It was the income from the dumping invention that financed his Garwood boat plant and his racing hobby.The boats themselves provided very little income in comparison.
Tony Mollica has written a great book on the Garwood boats and Mr. Wood that is a very interesting read. He also lists all the boats that the company ever made and how many were made. Even the dates where they are known. You will still see dump bodies on dumptrucks with the Garwood name plate on the tailgate. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
Old Apr 06, 2011, 10:52 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
24,008 Posts
lol...
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Apr 06, 2011, 12:04 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,763 Posts
Hey I'd be happy, if the income let me play with fast boats all day!
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Apr 06, 2011, 12:21 PM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined May 2007
1,546 Posts
The owner of Gar Wood had a 53' commuter yacht named Gar Sr that went about 50 MPH. I haven't seen any mention about it on the net but it is featured in the book "Yachts in a Hurry". I have to get a picture of it to post for the Gar Wood fans. It was pretty sweet.

-Rich.
RICH404 is offline Find More Posts by RICH404
Last edited by RICH404; Apr 07, 2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old Apr 06, 2011, 07:59 PM
Joined Feb 2009
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH404 View Post
The owner of Gar Wood had a 53' commuter yacht named Gar Sr that went about 50 MPH. I haven't seen any mention about it on the net but it is featured in the book "Yachts in a Hurry". I have to get a picture of it to post for the Gar Wood fans. It was pretty sweet.

-Rich.
Is that the one with the twin libertys?
Nederlander is offline Find More Posts by Nederlander
Old Apr 07, 2011, 12:07 PM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined May 2007
1,546 Posts
Here is yet another side of Gar Wood.

The first two yachts were actually the same vessel but the enclosed bridge was added later on. The original name of this yacht was Cigarette and was later renamed Gar Sr. This yacht had 5 pounding Liberty’s under the hood. She was 70’ long. (I goofed on the footage on the above post) It must have been amazing to see that thing opened up at full throttle!

The second Gar Wood is the 50’Corisande which originally had 2 Liberties and later re-powered by Wright Typhoon V-12’s. Even with the two engines you can see that she flew!

Gar Wood really pushed the envelope on speed, even their large boats flew!

These are a little different from the small Gar's we all know.

Now I wonder how fast that dump truck went..LOL

-Rich.
RICH404 is offline Find More Posts by RICH404
Last edited by RICH404; Apr 07, 2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old Apr 07, 2011, 12:13 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,730 Posts
Check the hard chine flare on the boat in the third picture. No wonder it flew with a runabout planing hull. Nice looking boat I think. Pete
Old Apr 07, 2011, 10:20 PM
United States, NJ, Waldwick
Joined Jan 2009
154 Posts
But I did know about these, several years ago we had one show up at the Finger Lakes Chapter Antique Boat Show. It was neat to see it.
MKC Syd is offline Find More Posts by MKC Syd
Old Apr 09, 2011, 08:28 PM
Great Lakes Guy
United States, MI, Farmington Hills
Joined Feb 2005
124 Posts
Interesting Pat!
Jeff_Churill is offline Find More Posts by Jeff_Churill
Old Apr 11, 2011, 03:24 PM
Tinkerer in Training
Guelph, ON
Joined Sep 2004
1,846 Posts
Is it just me or do the fast yachts bear more than a passing a resemblance to Turbinia?
RGinCanada is offline Find More Posts by RGinCanada
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 11, 2011, 04:53 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,730 Posts
It's just you.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 06:25 PM
Joined Feb 2009
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGinCanada View Post
Is it just me or do the fast yachts bear more than a passing a resemblance to Turbinia?
Maybe some REALLY EARLY fast yachts as in Fred and Barney powered. Pull up a picture of Aphrodite 1, 2 or 3 on google images and compare them to Turbinia.

Cheers,
Old Apr 11, 2011, 07:53 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,844 Posts
NEDERLANDER- The only similerity between the Turbinia and the Cigarette is that they both have a length beam ratio of 4 to 1 or more.

The Turbinia was a full displacement, round bottom hull meant to Peirce the waves rather than lift and plane the hull over the surface of the water.

The Cigarette was in all actuality a large version of the modified V planning hull Gar Wood and a lot of others used for their speed boat productions.

Most designers of the day all used length beam ratios of 4 to 1 or more all the way up to the 1950s, when the thinking started to turn the length beam ratios to 3 to 1 or less, with the idea that a wider planning surface would lift the hull of lager displacement easier, with a greater turn of speed. Another advantage is that for a given length of hull more interior space was made available for living quarters.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Apr 11, 2011, 11:50 PM
Joined Feb 2009
822 Posts
Frank I never said there was a comparison between the two; RG did. Turbinia was remarkable for her speed at that time in history. But as far as comparing her design to that of faster yachts (commuters) it simply doesn't wash. At least not in my humble opine. Maybe with some very early boats such as Arrow but that design quickly faded as did the very high ratios of 5:1, 6:1, and even 7:1. Round chines gave way to hard chines. Stepped hulls gave way to non stepped hulls and displacement hulls gave way to semi displacement hulls with flatter runs aft. Lower ratios did in fact contribute to more spacious living arrangements but the trend had already found a place in houseboat design and it was just a matter of time before the desire for comfort overcame the need for speed and the end of the toothpick boats.