HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:30 PM
Tresure Coast Florida
Joined Feb 2004
261 Posts
Hi A.T.,
Sorry, I have mixed more than one issue.

First, buddy box connecting my E7P with a new Optic 6 Sport to use as a trainer while flying real model planes and secondly, once that is accomplished, I had the idea to buddy box while using my Phoenix simulator.

With your help the first issue is solved. I can use the transmitters in training mode by connecting them with the crossed-over stereo cord.

But when I tried to use the buddy connected transmitters in conjunction with my Phoenix simulator (wirelessly – see below) I have somehow disabled the wireless scheme.

Just to clarify-- when I fly on my simulator my E7Pro is bound to a Hitec Minima receiver which is connected to the Phoenix dongle which is in turn connected to my computer via. USB. It is therefore wireless. Since the trainer port is not being used for the dongle I am wondering if I could connect my Optic 6 Sport as a buddy box to give pupils the idea of what they will experience at the field.

I buddy connected the two transmitters and turned on the power to the Minima Phoenix receiver. The receiver did not link up. I re-linked the Minima without the buddy cables but now the Phoenix is unable to see the E7P wireless connected dongle.

I can connect the dongle directly to the E7P and the USB and use the simulator normally but my wireless setup no longer works.

Other data points:
I noticed that when the Phoenix dongle is wired through the trainer port the E7P shows SLV in the display. This may be why there is conflict when the E7P is MAS as a buddy and trying to connect to the Phoenix. My idea to buddy while using the simulator may not be possible.
Meanwhile, my wireless simulator setup has been somehow disabled.
Backyard is offline Find More Posts by Backyard
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:52 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backyard View Post
Hi A.T.,
First, buddy box connecting my E7P with a new Optic 6 Sport to use as a trainer while flying real model
planes and secondly, once that is accomplished, I had the idea to buddy box while using my Phoenix simulator.
With your help the first issue is solved.
I can use the transmitters in training mode by connecting them with the crossed-over stereo cord.
But when I tried to use the buddy connected transmitters in conjunction with my Phoenix simulator
(wirelessly – see below) I have somehow disabled the wireless scheme.<snip>
I can connect the dongle directly to the E7P and the USB and use the simulator normally
but my wireless setup no longer works.
Other data points:
I noticed that when the Phoenix dongle is wired through the trainer port the E7P shows SLV in the display.
This may be why there is conflict when the E7P is MAS as a buddy and trying to connect to the Phoenix.
My idea to buddy while using the simulator may not be possible.
Meanwhile, my wireless simulator setup has been somehow disabled.
1. Have repeatedly mentioned that there are three standards involved.
. 1 Normal transmission, no leads trainer or simulator.
. 2 Trainer function using a cross wired stereo cable.
(During trainer session, the Master Tx must not be turned off.
Slave Tx with a stereo plug connection must not be turned on
)

. 3 Simulator function using a mono cable, during which the transmitter is in "Slave" function.
( "SLV" shows accordingly in E7 Pro display.)

2. "Minima receiver which is connected to the Phoenix dongle which is in
turn connected to my computer via. USB. It is therefore wireless."
?
Phoenix Sim & dongle is not a wireless system.
Once again, which wireless system were you using in conjunction with the Phoenix dongle?
extract example:
"2. K). SimStick
without which you could not have had a wireless connection.

3. My idea to buddy while using the simulator may not be possible.
This should be possible if you use a SimStick with an Optima transceiver,
but as an aftermarket product, you would need to contact them direct, see below.

4. This may be why there is conflict when the E7P is MAS as a buddy and trying to connect to the Phoenix.
The E7 must show MAS when slaving the Optic via a wireless interface, it is connected to the Optic 6 only.
The simulator is driven via the receiver through the interface which is connected to the dongle.
Did you view the referred pictorial?
. How To Set up JR/Spectrum plug type SimStick with A9/Eclipse 7 Pro
AOK with Optima transceivers but was later advised to be not then working with a Minima receiver.
Inquiries relating to correction of problems with a Minima connection need to be referred
direct to the aftermarket unit supplier i.e. in this instance, Simstick.

Alan T.
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:13 PM
Tresure Coast Florida
Joined Feb 2004
261 Posts
Hi A.T.,
First, buddy box connecting my E7P with a new Optic 6 Sport to use as a trainer while flying real model planes and secondly, once that is accomplished, I had the idea to buddy box while using my Phoenix simulator.

With your help the first issue is solved. I can use the transmitters in training mode by connecting them with the crossed-over stereo cord.

But when I tried to use the buddy connected transmitters in conjunction with my Phoenix simulator (wirelessly see below) I have somehow disabled the wireless scheme.

Just to clarify-- when I fly on my simulator my E7Pro is bound to a Hitec Minima receiver which is connected to the Phoenix dongle which is in turn connected to my computer via. USB. It is therefore wireless. Since the trainer port is not being used for the dongle I am wondering if I could connect my Optic 6 Sport as a buddy box to give pupils the idea of what they will experience at the field.

I buddy connected the two transmitters and turned on the power to the Minima Phoenix receiver. The receiver did not link up. I re-linked the Minima without the buddy cables but now the Phoenix is unable to see the E7P wireless connected dongle.
I can connect the dongle directly to the E7P and the USB and use the simulator normally but my wireless setup no longer works.

Other data points:
I noticed that when the Phoenix dongle is wired through the trainer port the E7P shows SLV in the display. This may be why there is conflict when the E7P is MAS as a buddy and trying to connect to the Phoenix. My idea to buddy while using the simulator may not be possible.

Update - I have succeeded by re-linking for PPM output re-calibrating the transmitter in Phoenix.

Thanks for your help.
Backyard is offline Find More Posts by Backyard
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:25 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,347 Posts
Is the RF module removeable from the Pro? Can i put in a Spektrum DM8 module in order to fly Bnf planes?
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:13 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Is the RF module removeable from the Pro? Can i put in a Spektrum DM8 module in order to fly Bnf planes?
No Module, full specs and photos on page one this thread.

However, the Eclipse 7 Pro does support the SLT system (inbuilt into the new Aurora 9X)
and therefore models produced by Great Planes, Hitec and others which is fast overtaking Horizon BNF:
.Eclipse 7 & 7 Pro - Tactic AnyLink Setup

FAQ page =
Hitec Eclipse 7 & Eclipse 7 Pro - FAQ - Setup and Additional Programming

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:32 PM
Women Fly Too
Twentynine Palms, CA USA
Joined Jul 2004
1,061 Posts
Hitec Eclipse Pro 2.4gHz Transmitter Pack

I've a friend who recently purlchased the above. I was checking to see if Lipos would work, and apparently they are not recommended without additional equipment/modifications. So I figured I would try to find out where I could get the standard NiMH replacement pack for this model. Unfortunately, this battery pack does not seem to be available as a seperate purchase item. Maybe someone smarter than I, when it comes to internet search could lead me in the correct direction. The reason I want to get him a second pack, is that he never fails to forget something, and maybe the second pack might come in handy when he arrives at the flying field, only to find his pack below safe operating voltage. Crash
CrashCaley is offline Find More Posts by CrashCaley
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:54 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashCaley View Post
I've a friend who recently purchased the above.
I was checking to see if Lipos would work, and apparently they are not recommended without additional equipment/modifications.
So I figured I would try to find out where I could get the standard NiMH replacement pack for this model.
Unfortunately, this battery pack does not seem to be available as a seperate purchase item.
Maybe someone smarter than I, when it comes to internet search could lead me in the correct direction.
The reason I want to get him a second pack, is that he never fails to forget something, and maybe the second pack
might come in handy when he arrives at the flying field, only to find his pack below safe operating voltage. Crash
A triangular 6 cell NiMH pack, same as an Optic Sport 6:
. Hitec #54124

and as pictured under
. Hitec Eclipse 7 & Eclipse 7 Pro - FAQ - Setup and Additional Programming

. Hitec Aurora, Eclipse, Flash, Optic & Prism series TX - Lipo and Field / Fast Charging

Alan T.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:21 PM
Women Fly Too
Twentynine Palms, CA USA
Joined Jul 2004
1,061 Posts
Alan, Thanks. My jaw dropped at the price they charge for a battery pack. Pretty much the same as the cost of a lipo pack. Crash
CrashCaley is offline Find More Posts by CrashCaley
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:02 AM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashCaley View Post
Alan, Thanks. My jaw dropped at the price they charge for a battery pack. Pretty much the same as the cost of a lipo pack. Crash
Hi Crash, that was just one example, and certainly cheaper and safer than Lipo.
Shopping around will provide a range of cheaper packs, e.g.
. http://www.toysonics.com/hitec-54124...tic-sport.html - $27.15
. http://www.rcplanet.com/Hitec_Cylind...p/hrc54124.htm - $24.95
& ebay $21.95

even DIY:
. Hitec Tx Male Connector US$1.50.
using own quality AA cells with solder tabs and some shrink wrap or good vinyl tape. The retailer of those plug/leads also has on webpage:
"Contact us for special applications...we build custom packs daily. Send your pictures, specifications etc to: email: onlybatterypacks@sbcglobal.net"
No harm in obtaining quotes.

Alan T.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:16 PM
United States, TX, Floresville
Joined Feb 2012
62 Posts
Ok quick question, why dose the blue AFHSS blink when I do fast servo movements. Rx is connected to 2s LiFe. If i go full throw on any input the AFHSS will blink once. Looked thru manual cant find anything.
crashnburn69 is offline Find More Posts by crashnburn69
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:57 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburn69 View Post
Ok quick question, why dose the blue AFHSS blink when I do fast servo movements.
Rx is connected to 2s LiFe. If i go full throw on any input the AFHSS will blink once.
Looked thru manual cant find anything.
With which transceiver or receiver? SPC in use? How many servo, digital or analogue?
to many questions to provide an informed reply.
However, if dual battery setup only through servo bus, and EPA are extended fully, fast movements
of the sticks can produce very high start up currents which will trip LBW.
Any sound from the unit? Dip could be to quick to trigger sound alarm.

Cautions re EPA, especially with Digital:
. EPA, ATV, Dual & Triple Rates, Expo Differences & Caution includes ESC / BEC Set Up.

Start up currents, especially cheap HK servo:
. Servo - FAQ : Which servo to buy - Peak Servo Current Test Results.

. Servo - Burnout. Cause & Prevention

. Optima Transceiver (RX) - Low Battery Warning settings for both Aurora & Spectra 2.4Ghz module
(Module is built into the Eclipse 7 Pro).

. Hitec Eclipse 7 & Eclipse 7 Pro - FAQ - Setup and Additional Programming

Alan T.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:40 PM
Joined Feb 2012
62 Posts
using 4 Savox SC-0251 Digital and 1 hitec 225, optima 7 rx, no spc. No Binding on epa. As far as a tone I just tried it again and and yes I could manage to get a tone. so maybe the LBW. I dont see how it could go from 6.6 to 3.5 with fast movements tho.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:28 PM
Joined Feb 2012
62 Posts
ok so i may have figured it out, The rx reads 6.6 when i move the servos fast it drops to 5.9 during movement then back to 6.6 with no load. So the only way around this would be a HPP-22 and reset the LBW, Right? Another question, This would not lock out the receiver would it? Ill only be running 2 to 3 flights per pack. I know LiFe have a flat curve with a drop off point.
Old May 05, 2013, 08:59 AM
United States, TN, Signal Mountain
Joined Sep 2007
31 Posts
Blinking Screen

Hi,

Has anyone had an issue with the LCD screen blinking when the transmitter is not on? The other morning I went to workshop and the unit's backlit LCD screen was blinking on and off. It is not plugged in to charge. I turned it on and it powered up ok. I turned it off, and it kept blinking. I plugged it into the charger, but it continued t blink after being fully recharged. I even unplugged the battery and it is still blinking! Any idea why it's doing this and how to make it stop?

Thanks
ktrails is offline Find More Posts by ktrails
Old May 05, 2013, 03:26 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrails View Post
Hi,
Has anyone had an issue with the LCD screen blinking when the transmitter is not on?
The other morning I went to workshop and the unit's backlit LCD screen was blinking on and off.
It is not plugged in to charge. I turned it on and it powered up ok.
I turned it off, and it kept blinking.
I plugged it into the charger, but it continued t blink after being fully recharged.
I even unplugged the battery and it is still blinking!
Any idea why it's doing this and how to make it stop? Thanks

When you unplugged the battery, did you cycle the switch on/off to clear the residual power in caps? This is the same as any laptop etc which do have similar problems.
Try removing battery again, cycle switch on/off (with at least two seconds on) and if still faulty after battery is replaced, do not hesitate to communicate direct with your service dept:
. Hitec Warranty & Service - homepage.
Note: Hitec USA only services North/South America and Canada.
"Hitec USA customer service department is available Monday through Friday*
from 7am- 4:30 pm Pacific time. Reach us at 858.748.8440 or
service@hitecrcd.com any time you have a question"
If you are from a country that is outside North and South America, please contact the
Hitec distributor in your country for service.

Alan T.