HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:17 AM
Tresure Coast Florida
Joined Feb 2004
257 Posts
Can I buddy box on my radio (cordless) connected sim?
Backyard is offline Find More Posts by Backyard
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:00 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backyard View Post
Can I buddy box on my radio (cordless) connected sim?
Two different things?. A wireless SIM can not be used with a buddy / trainer system.
Affirmative as to SIM, your question post #34:
"I have decided to get a Phoenix Simulator.
Much of what I have read says it is not compatible with my new Eclipse 7 Pro.
What do I need to make it work? What do I need to make it wireless? "

Answered in full post 35:
. "Eclipse 7 & Eclipse 7 Pro - Simulator Interface Cable & Wireless Simulator Interface"

With regard to Buddy Box, Hitec do not provide a Wireless buddy box system at this time, refer:
. Hitec Eclipse 7 & Eclipse 7 Pro FAQ - Setup and Additional Programming. extract
"Eclipse 7 Pro Trainer requirements and setup."
. Eclipse 7 Pro as Master, Buddy or Slave

Aftermarket wireless systems are available from HongKong, untested here.

See also sub Section "Trainer (Buddy box) cables - DIY " under
"Buddy Boxes, Flight Simulator & Interface." at:
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links (quick search = Ctrl+F)

Alan T.
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:06 PM
Tresure Coast Florida
Joined Feb 2004
257 Posts
Thanks A.T.

Just to clarify-- when I fly on my simulator my E7Pro is bound to a Hitec receiver which is connected to the Phoenix dongle which is in turn connected to my computer via. USB. It is therefore wireless. Since the trainer port is not being used I am wondering if I could connect my Optic 6 Sport as a buddy box to give pupils the idea of what they will experience at the field.

I think you said no but I just want to confirm.

Thanks,

Ray
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:08 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Thanks A.T. Just to clarify-- when I fly on my simulator my E7Pro is bound to a Hitec receiver which is connected
to the Phoenix dongle which is in turn connected to my computer via. USB. It is therefore wireless.
Since the trainer port is not being used I am wondering if I could connect my Optic 6 Sport as a buddy box to give pupils the idea of what they will experience at the field.
I think you said no but I just want to confirm. Thanks, Ray
Was lost in translation. If as I now understand that you wish to "Buddy box" on the Phoenix simulator,
not an actual model at the field, then go ahead and try. Can see no reason why it will not work, it should be fun..

Alan T.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:00 PM
Tresure Coast Florida
Joined Feb 2004
257 Posts
Thanks for the response A. T.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:03 AM
Tresure Coast Florida
Joined Feb 2004
257 Posts
Buddy Boxing Hitec 2.4 Transmitters

I’m trying to buddy box connect my E7Pro 2.4 to an Optic 6 Sport 2.4. There does not appear to be any straight forward description of how to do this. There is a jumble of instructions dealing with different styles and generations of transmitters none of which apply to this case or work for me.

The attached “Eclipse 7 Pro Manual – Extract Page 10” is not only NOT in my manual or on the PDF version but it is incorrect. It refers to a DIN connector when the E7Pro of course has the stereo connector.

Can anyone please help me?

Thank you.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:02 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
I’m trying to buddy box connect my E7Pro 2.4 to an Optic 6 Sport 2.4.
There does not appear to be any straight forward description of how to do this.
There is a jumble of instructions dealing with different styles and generations of transmitters none of which apply to this case or work for me.
The attached “Eclipse 7 Pro Manual – Extract Page 10” is not only NOT in my manual or on the PDF version but it is incorrect.
It refers to a DIN connector when the E7Pro of course has the stereo connector. Can anyone please help me? Thank you
Instructions can get confusing as there have been several types of transmitter and connections.
The cable used is the same cross wired stereo cable as described under
. Hitec Aurora 9 - Trainer / Buddy system Master & Slave function Set-up. - & Data Transfer A9<>A9 etc.
- Also covers Eclipse 7 Pro & other Hitec RCD transmitters.

Original picture, ex page 10, is from first .pdf Manual which clearly shows the reverse of an Eclipse 7 Pro (DIN socket/plug not mentioned).
Trainer information, page 12, from the more recent .pdf Manual V2 is attached for comparison.

The Optic 6 Sport you are using may require an upgrade if not working with the E7 Pro, refer to:
Hitec Optic 6 & Optic 6 Sport - Manuals, Tutorial, Comparison Charts, Updates & FAQ
The update dated 5th march 2012:
"- Refine Trainer function".

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

[Right click RCG attachments and select "open in new window".
Button bottom right of IE screen (or _+icons Firefox Toolbar) enables viewing size increase upto 400% for easier reading.]
Last edited by A.T.; Jan 31, 2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:28 AM
Tresure Coast Florida
Joined Feb 2004
257 Posts
Thanks A. T.
The attachment still refers to a din plug. No matter.
I don't yet have an HPP-22 to upgrade the firmware. Will the upgrade change my situation?
Many have said that a standard male to male stereo cable will work regardless of the tip shape. Is that true?
Does "cross wiring" mean ground to ground and tip to ring?
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:43 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Thanks A. T.
The attachment still refers to a din plug. No matter.
I don't yet have an HPP-22 to upgrade the firmware. Will the upgrade change my situation?
Many have said that a standard male to male stereo cable will work regardless of the tip shape. Is that true?
1. "The attachment still refers to a din plug."
Pictures show a mono/stereo type socket, not a DIN socket, am still unable to read "DIN plug" anywhere.

2. "Many have said that a standard male to male stereo cable will work regardless of the tip shape. Is that true?"
Have not seen that reported previously.
A standard stereo cable simply cannot work as a trainer lead as shown in photos attached. schematics post #3 and other posts under:
Hitec Aurora 9 - Trainer / Buddy system Master & Slave function Set-up. - & Data Transfer A9<>A9 etc.
- Also covers Eclipse 7 Pro & other Hitec RCD transmitters.

3. "I don't yet have an HPP-22 to upgrade the firmware. Will the upgrade change my situation?"
Without an HPP-22 user can not upgrade or utilise the full potential of an Eclipse 7 Pro, nor many Hitec Telemetry features.
Am unable to confirm that particular upgrade will definitely fix your problems, but it has fixed all other known
compatibility issues, where the update had not been previously installed.
An HPP-22 will also provide further flexibility with access to many other features as shown under 29Dec10, 25Mar12 & 26Sep12 under:
Hitec Optic 6 & Optic 6 Sport - Manuals, Tutorial, Comparison Charts, Updates & FAQ

Alan T.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:19 PM
Tresure Coast Florida
Joined Feb 2004
257 Posts
Thanks A.T.

"Turn the connector until the notches line up and it fits without being forced" refers to a DIN.

I have an HPP-22 on order.

Thanks for your patience.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:24 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Thanks A.T.
"Turn the connector until the notches line up and it fits without being forced" refers to a DIN.
I have an HPP-22 on order.
Thanks for your patience.
"Turn the connector until the notches line up and it fits without being forced" refers to a DIN."
There is no mention of a DIN anywhere in the article, nor in the picture which clearly shows a Stereo/mono socket.
Doubt few readers would read other than ensure stereo plug is inserted fully, perhaps next edition will be clarified.

Yes, as worded in the photos and depicted in the schematics referred to previously.
Copy of the first photo attached here

Alan T.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:17 PM
Tresure Coast Florida
Joined Feb 2004
257 Posts
Hi A.T.,
I built a converter that crosses over the stereo cables and was sucessful connecting the E7Pro with the Optic Sport as buddies. You might want to note that if I plug the cable into the E7P without turning it on it becmes a slave. In order to have the E7P become master I have to turn the unit on first then plug in the cable. I can then turn the unit off and the buddies work as expected.

I then wanted to try to use them in buddy mode while flying my Phoenix simulator (it is set up wireless as described in my post above). I set the buddies up and turned on the power to the receiver. The receiver did not link up. I re-linked it and removed the buddy cables althgether but the Phoenix was unable to see the E7P wireless connected dongle even with repeated trys. I was able to connect the dongle directly to the E7P and the USB and use the simulator normally. I noticed that when wired through the trainer port the E7P shows SLV in the display. This may be why there is conflict when the E7P is master as a buddy and trying to connect to the Phoenix.

I would like to get everything back the way it was so I can use the Phoenix wirelesly without any buddy but the Phoenix can't see the E7P like it did previously.

Do you think there are specific model settings that got messed up? Is it the receiver? Or the E7P? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:51 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
deleted
Last edited by A.T.; Feb 02, 2013 at 08:21 PM. Reason: see following post
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:15 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Hi A.T.,
I built a converter that crosses over the stereo cables and was successful connecting the E7Pro with the Optic Sport as buddies.
You might want to note that if I plug the cable into the E7P without turning it on it becomes a slave.
In order to have the E7P become master I have to turn the unit on first then plug in the cable.
I can then turn the unit off and the buddies work as expected.
I then wanted to try to use them in buddy mode while flying my Phoenix simulator (it is set up wireless as described in my post above).
I set the buddies up and turned on the power to the receiver.
The receiver did not link up.
I re-linked it and removed the buddy cables althgether but the Phoenix was unable to see the E7P wireless connected dongle even with repeated trys.
I was able to connect the dongle directly to the E7P and the USB and use the simulator normally.
I noticed that when wired through the trainer port the E7P shows SLV in the display.
This may be why there is conflict when the E7P is master as a buddy and trying to connect to the Phoenix.
I would like to get everything back the way it was so I can use the Phoenix wirelesly without any buddy but
the Phoenix can't see the E7P like it did previously.
Do you think there are specific model settings that got messed up?
Is it the receiver? Or the E7P? Any thoughts would be appreciated.Thanks.
1. "I built a converter that crosses over the stereo cables and was successful connecting the E7Pro with the Optic Sport as buddies".
This with an optima, battery & servos on a bench or in a model, being quite separate to simulator system?

2. You might want to note that if I plug the cable into the E7P without turning it on it becomes a slave.
In order to have the E7P become master I have to turn the unit on first then plug in the cable.

Standard procedure, however cable is typically plugged into the master before it is turned on.

3. "I can then turn the unit off and the buddies work as expected. "
Which unit? Trainer system should not work with master turned off.

4. I was able to connect the dongle directly to the E7P and the USB and use the simulator normally.
This should be no problem with the Phoenix dongle, a well proven combination.
However, that is not a wireless dongle so user can not possibly use a trainer function via
an optima receiver without a separate interface, e.g. Simstick

5. "I noticed that when wired through the trainer port the E7P shows SLV in the display.
This may be why there is conflict when the E7P is master as a buddy and trying to connect to the Phoenix."

This is correct because the Eclipse is then in simulator mode as a slave not trainer function.

6. This may be why there is conflict when the E7P is master as a buddy and trying to connect to the Phoenix.
The Eclipse 7 can only be in master function when connected wirelessly to a simulator via an optima transceiver or minima receiver.

7. Which wireless system are you using in conjunction with the Phoenix simulator?
If a true wireless system, then reset the ID between E7Pro and Receiver, check AOK with servo and battery,
then unplug servo and plug receiver into the wireless adapter which connects to your simulator's dongle.
E7 Pr0 then transmits to receiver as normal being neither master nor slave, receiver instructs adapter which in
turn provides signals to the Phoenix dongle.

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Last edited by A.T.; Feb 02, 2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:27 PM
Tresure Coast Florida
Joined Feb 2004
257 Posts
1. "I built a converter that crosses over the stereo cables and was successful connecting the E7Pro with the Optic Sport as buddies".
This with an optima, battery & servos on a bench or model with quite separate to simulator system?

Minima equipped model. No simulator.

2. You might want to note that if I plug the cable into the E7P without turning it on it becomes a slave.
Standard procedure, however cable is typically plugged into the master before it is turned on.

With the E7P switch off when I plug in the stereo cable the E7P comes to life and SLV appears in the display. If I then switch the E7P on, it remains SLV. However, if I switch the E7P on and then plug the cable in MAS appears in the display. It then functions perfectly with my Optic 6 as buddies even if I switch the E7P to off.

3. "I can then turn the unit off and the buddies work as expected. "
Which unit? Trainer system should not work with master turned off.

But it does.

4. I was able to connect the dongle directly to the E7P and the USB and use the simulator normally.
This should be no problem with the Phoenix dongle, a well proven combination.
However, that is not a wireless dongle so user can not possibly use a trainer function via an optima receiver'

5. "I noticed that when wired through the trainer port the E7P shows SLV in the display.
This may be why there is conflict when the E7P is master as a buddy and trying to connect to the Phoenix."
This is correct because the Eclipse is then in simulator mode as a slave not trainer function.

6. This may be why there is conflict when the E7P is master as a buddy and trying to connect to the Phoenix.
The Eclipse 7 can only be in master function when connected wirelessly to a simulator via an optima transceiver or minima receiver.

7. Which wireless system are you using in conjunction with the Phoenix simulator?