Closed Thread
Old Apr 05, 2011, 03:14 PM
tom
USA, LA, Natchitoches
Joined Apr 2004
1,599 Posts
Rant
i dont know anymore i can do.

when i finally saved enough money to order my SU-34 from hobbylobby i was happy as a puppy with two peters.

i stripped out all the servos i could and replaced them, did not activate the thrust vectoring, and installed electric retracts.

after 3 flights the stock battery just died(the green one), so my hobbyshop guy contacted them and a replacement battery was sent, the same kind and mah as the first.

yesterday i put the plane up for the second time on the new battery, after 2 minutes according to my timer,, at 100 ft. the plane took a nosedive and hit the ground hard, total loss, all my hard earned social security money gone in an istant.

the battery, like all the batteries i fly with was charged before the flight, a blinky balancer was used while charging, after, the battery was checked with a cell checker and all looked good.

back to the crash, when i got to the plane, 1/3 of the battery was pointing at an upward angle, all cells and chemical exposed, no fire, no smoke, no heat, nothing.

i cut the deans plug off and touched the neg. wire to the pos. wire and nothing, not even a spark.

we took it to a nearby tree, set it on the ground and put a 9mm luger round right through the middle of it, nothing, not fire, smoke, nothing, not even warm.

all servos were ok, the esc is still working, elec. retracts work as well, just no power got to the servos.

so, im out a new battery, a plane i loved dearly, and a lot of money, for me anyway.

im not asking for anything here, just ranting about losing a great flying plane because of a cheap, junk battery.
tomme21 is offline Find More Posts by tomme21
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2011, 09:39 AM
RCG Staff Member
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2003
5,622 Posts
Awe man, what a bummer. Sorry to hear about that. No way to tell that it was the battery though after a crash like that, and the fact that it didn't catch fire is a good thing. That doesn't mean the battery was bad. Good batteries are actually less prone to catching fire when damaged, but it can still happen. A number of things could have caused that crash, the most common being a brown out on the receiver. Servo loads causing the ESC BEC to drop voltage and kicks the radio out. Not saying that's what happened, but would be a good thing to check. Those batteries are actually really nice packs and not the usual cheapo cells. Again sorry to hear about the loss.

Jason
Jason Cole is online now Find More Posts by Jason Cole
Administrator
Old Apr 06, 2011, 10:50 AM
tom
USA, LA, Natchitoches
Joined Apr 2004
1,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboone View Post
Awe man, what a bummer. Sorry to hear about that. No way to tell that it was the battery though after a crash like that, and the fact that it didn't catch fire is a good thing. That doesn't mean the battery was bad. Good batteries are actually less prone to catching fire when damaged, but it can still happen. A number of things could have caused that crash, the most common being a brown out on the receiver. Servo loads causing the ESC BEC to drop voltage and kicks the radio out. Not saying that's what happened, but would be a good thing to check. Those batteries are actually really nice packs and not the usual cheapo cells. Again sorry to hear about the loss.

Jason
how good can those "good" batteries be? that was my second bad one.
tomme21 is offline Find More Posts by tomme21
Old Apr 06, 2011, 05:51 PM
skunkworks
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2008
1,536 Posts
tomme sorry for the loss.the SU 34 is a beauty for sure
Dark Angel is offline Find More Posts by Dark Angel
Closed Thread