SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:29 AM
RC Keeps Me Sane
United States, NJ, Carlstadt
Joined Sep 2005
1,488 Posts
On the rear axle..... the one way bearing causes wear from locking and unlocking and sometimes a slight groove in the axle. Any wear on the axle will shorten the life of a new bearing. Those outside washer/spacers are special and have a step. Should you accidently lose a bolt while running the washer will fall out and you can't run the bike. But keeping everything locktited helps prevent it but it does happen. I also keep the metal planetary gear on hand because trying to get the bearing out of the stock plastic one breaks it. On my DX450 I found hairline cracks in the gear so on the first replacement I went to the metal gear.
The lighter gyro beats on the one way bearing much less so I'm curious as to how much extra life I get from it, time will tell. But I was beating that bike (DX450) to death on 3S and the OWB didn't last long.
Head shake coming out of a turn is caused by the front tire slipping a little. Use some throttle and steer the bike to stand up quicker or come out of the lean a little slower with steering. Also on full throttle runs gradually increase the throttle instead of pulling the trigger hard because rear tire slip will shake the bike and induce some head shake.
Glad to hear you're getting some nice runs now. The NiMh batteries keeps the motor and ESC very happy. My Lipos still keeps everything cool. I think the motor got in the mid 130*'s
& ESC stays around 120* and that was running it hard. Going to try and cycle my new lipos again today
DanBo3D is offline Find More Posts by DanBo3D
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:30 AM
Joined Sep 2012
36 Posts
did you add any weights to the gyro?

i ordered the slicks that comes with inserts, not the soft slick i think they are medium, will get them in 2 weeks and will advise if they have more grip than the stock tires. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAVXD

bought the dx450 sproket because it is metal and also front brakes
hnm738 is offline Find More Posts by hnm738
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:33 AM
Joined Sep 2012
36 Posts
with the washer, are you refering to this? the one that is attach to the side of the bearing?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAVXD
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:38 AM
Joined Sep 2012
36 Posts
found this website, too bad its in korean but has a nice looking anderson m5 bike
http://cafe.naver.com/rcbikes
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:49 AM
RC Keeps Me Sane
Joined Sep 2005
1,488 Posts
Washers
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...2+++&search=Go
All the slicks are soft/softer than stock.
No weights added to the lightened gyro, for 2 reasons.
I have no weights and the stock or mod gyro do not come with the retainer rings or screws. But I consider the empty alum gyro to be perfect, just enough to run on not so clean areas and not too much to keep the bike from driving like a real racer so I would never even consider adding weights regardless. Non gyro bikes crash very easily hitting small stones or when you hit the brakes and lock up the rear wheel.
I also have the metal rear sproket coming, for some reason I thought it was metal like the DX 450, have the front brakes not installed yet.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:58 AM
RC Keeps Me Sane
Joined Sep 2005
1,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnm738 View Post
found this website, too bad its in korean but has a nice looking anderson m5 bike
http://cafe.naver.com/rcbikes
Seems to be the DXR500/M5 Race with all the Pro parts.
Again for serious racing it's great but for us parking lot bashers it's just expensive bling.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:13 PM
Joined Sep 2012
36 Posts
Got my 2s lipo, bike does have more power and the gyro spools up faster.

I have been in contact with duratrax and they are replacibg the broken stress tech parts which is good.

The only issue I have now is the tires dont have enough grip in my carpark and hoing the sliks will rectify this.

I think the weakest part if the bike is the body mounting holes which is not covered by warranty

Overall very happy with the bike

Still getting minor headshake with the lipo
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:50 AM
RC Keeps Me Sane
Joined Sep 2005
1,488 Posts
Lipo headshake..... as the speed increases the headshake can/usually get worse.
I'm now useing my damper filled up with 3000 diff-lock silicone oil Ofna p/n 10232.
The springs would relax after stretching but the heavier oil takes care of it now.
Changed the radio to a hacked FlySky GT3B, it's so nice to have expo, end points, sub trim, travel adjust, dual rates, 63 model memory and a big LCD display and the ABS (brake) setting really works nice too. The radio really helps to get the bike dialed in.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:39 AM
Joined Sep 2012
36 Posts
receive some parts i purchase today.
the Hard slick comes with insert and has more grip than stock tires. and is about the same price

i installed the front brakes, i highly recommend it, it made driving in my narrow car park much easier and i could do full throttle and braking is more predictable and stops half the distance.. where as previously i press brake and the bike just slowly slows down.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:05 AM
RC Keeps Me Sane
Joined Sep 2005
1,488 Posts
I still haven't installed my front brakes yet, where did you put the Y connector?
Any pics?
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:09 AM
Joined Sep 2012
36 Posts
was just testing driving last night, so just left it dangling above the esc. i got a new battery case and frame so will rebuild the bike this weekend and will find a proper place for the connector.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:20 PM
Occasional useful idiot...
Joined Nov 2009
1,406 Posts
Just a quick question. What are the rear tyre inserts made of? Are they compliant and have a bit of give? Also whilst perusing the manual online, it looks like the rear tyre is beadlocked on to the wheel by two rings, is this true? Might try a rear wheel for the MX.
Jonathan Bradbury is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Bradbury
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:56 PM
RC Keeps Me Sane
Joined Sep 2005
1,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Bradbury View Post
Just a quick question. What are the rear tyre inserts made of? Are they compliant and have a bit of give? Also whilst perusing the manual online, it looks like the rear tyre is beadlocked on to the wheel by two rings, is this true? Might try a rear wheel for the MX.
The rear insert is four strips of foam glued to the wheel and on the very soft side, the tire doesn't need much . But the soft foam does help the tire keep its shape.
Yes the rear tire is somewhat of a bead lock ring, the tire needs to be reseated occasionally.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:43 AM
Joined Sep 2012
36 Posts
HI, sorry, just came back from holiday,

I cant recommend front brakes enough. i feel the need to have more speed now with the bike as braking is more predictable and easier to handle

this is where i plan to put the connector, right below the servo, there is a hole seems to fit the connector perfectly and then just screw it down

Though with the connector located here, the brake servo cable will be too short, so will need to extend that cable

Last edited by hnm738; Nov 07, 2012 at 06:56 AM. Reason: extra info
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:00 AM
Joined Sep 2012
36 Posts
Another location that i can think of that is easy, is screw it together with one of the servo screws, underneath the servo, this way you dont need to extend the cable.