HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:41 AM
United States, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Apr 2006
149 Posts
Hey Dan,good luck with your DXR.There are several alloy parts for it,along with ZH alum. racing wheels (NO GYRO) and racing tires.I got all of it and it really makes the bike look cool and handle pretty good.Without the heavy gyro i think i am getting at least 40 mph out of it.I do have the 5900kv mtr with 11t pinion.
What are you using for skids?. I use short peices of Sullivan high stress push rods.I reattached the balls on end with a post on the other.A little shorter than stock also.
gurumods is offline Find More Posts by gurumods
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2012, 01:56 PM
RC keeps me sane
United States, NJ, Carlstadt
Joined Sep 2005
1,396 Posts
Thanks guru, I'm not so into alum unless I have no choice. I did the alum on the 450 with mixed results. Before I go gyroless I have to see how the light alum gyro works on this bike first. But this ride is in a whole new class compared to the offroad version.
The pics show my conventional type skids, they are less than 2" out. As they wear you can flip them over (flipped in the pic) and also cut a small piece off at a time which will also change the contact point in the arc where they hit the ground. 90+% of the time I can lay the bike down and not touch the skids but they are just long enough so you can right the bike should it go down.
The hole in the fairing is very deep, the rods actually enter the frame and it's just a slip fit, the depth & tension with the stock collet works perfect. The label shows where and what it is.
The only other thing I did was simply lift and turn the ESC to expose the fins for better cooling and get the wires tucked in out of the way. All the wires are on the left side and the battery wire is even easier to work with now.
I'm in the process of installing a new pinion, it came loose and I overtightened it and it cracked. Hope to get some run time in before dark....
microDan is offline Find More Posts by microDan
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:55 PM
RC keeps me sane
Joined Sep 2005
1,396 Posts
Heres some pics of the clean wiring and the ESC doesn't sit up against the motor like it did before I moved it,
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:29 PM
Joined Apr 2006
149 Posts
Yeah it looks good.I moved the esc forward also when i installed the esc fan.Here's a shot of mine with the new scratch bars,shorter than stock.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:03 PM
RC keeps me sane
Joined Sep 2005
1,396 Posts
EXCELLENT! That is really nice! It's really race equipped.
How do you like the slipper clutch? I do have one coming for mine. I can see you have the smaller pinion for the hot motor. Again, really nice setup.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:37 AM
Joined Apr 2006
149 Posts
Slipper is pretty much a MUST have to allow traction control.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:53 PM
www.racerhobby.com
Joined May 2012
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microDan View Post
The pics show my conventional type skids, they are less than 2" out. As they wear you can flip them over (flipped in the pic) and also cut a small piece off at a time which will also change the contact point in the arc where they hit the ground. 90+% of the time I can lay the bike down and not touch the skids but they are just long enough so you can right the bike should it go down.
The hole in the fairing is very deep, the rods actually enter the frame and it's just a slip fit, the depth & tension with the stock collet works perfect. The label shows where and what it is.
HI MicroDan,

How long can the nylon skid last??
jumpsa is offline Find More Posts by jumpsa
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:15 AM
RC keeps me sane
Joined Sep 2005
1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpsa View Post
HI MicroDan,

How long can the nylon skid last??
Hi jumpsa ! Well they actually hold up real well because I really try not to lay the bike down that far.
I've run this first set for over 2 hours and the scrapes are minimal.
They are short enough to be functional but not long enough where they hit constantly, so wear is very slight if I don't get carried away with laying the bike down to far. In fact if I hear them hit I feel I failed to drive it thru the turn correctly.
I think they are only out 1 7/8" so if they hit the front sides of the battery cover gets scraped. The battery cover is scraped no doubt...Having a blast!!!
Old Sep 15, 2012, 01:22 PM
Occasional useful idiot...
Joined Nov 2009
1,402 Posts
Quote:
How do you like the slipper clutch? I do have one coming for mine.
Let us know if it looks like the slipper can fit your dx450 if you can. I'm toying with the idea of getting one for my M5MX
Jonathan Bradbury is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Bradbury
Old Sep 15, 2012, 06:21 PM
RC keeps me sane
Joined Sep 2005
1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Bradbury View Post
Let us know if it looks like the slipper can fit your dx450 if you can. I'm toying with the idea of getting one for my M5MX
Don't know if it will fit the DX450 or not, I no longer have the 450. I only run on road with the DXR500.
If you check the original part numbers and and compare the pictures of the parts you might be able to determine if the spur and slipper section might work with maybe little to no mods. Or you might be able to post your question in the DX450 thread(s)
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:53 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,763 Posts
Quote:
Don't know if it will fit the DX450 or not, I no longer have the 450.
I read all the dx450 discussion when I first joined. I always wondered why you and others like Timmah left, I guess that explains it for you. Too bad you seemed into the dirt scene. None the less, nice to see you come around.
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Sep 16, 2012, 08:18 AM
Joined Apr 2006
149 Posts
Several weeks ago i showed a friend my VMX and he instanlty went and bought TWO new mm450's.Yesterday i showed him my DXR500 and guess what,yup,he just ordered a DXR and ALL the hopups that are available for it,including the ZH racing wheels and tires.I am thinking he may have hit the lotto or something.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 08:20 AM
RC keeps me sane
Joined Sep 2005
1,396 Posts
JohnnyMc,
I was actually running the 450 on road and just having fun doing speed runs when I had the 450 years ago. Remember it was a new and innovative design and it was a blast.
I got heavy into 3D planes and lately back into helis.
I still have a brand new Thunder Tiger GP8 Ducati sitting on display for many years.
I decided to finally get the true road bike DXR500 because it has Anderson Racing written all over it. I'm lovin' this bike it performs and handles well and gives me the true on road super bike feel I thought I get from the 450 if I modded it right. The 450 lost it's appeal because I wanted it to do things it wasn't meant to do. So when I not flying in the sky because it's too windy, I can fly on the ground without wings......DXR500 comes out to play.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:48 PM
Joined Sep 2012
36 Posts
Hi, i just bought a new DXR500. First time owning a bike so i thought a gyro would help.

Test drove my bike last night and the wheel wobbles / shakes alot at faster speed. How do i fix this?

Also would like to know of other tips and tricks to make the bike a better drive?

the bike seem to turn very slowly?
hnm738 is offline Find More Posts by hnm738
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:01 PM
Joined Apr 2006
149 Posts
738, 2 pen springs inside the steering damper along with a thicker shock oil i.e. 60wt will make it a little more responsive.A 5900kv motor will make it fly,ZH aluminum racing wheels & tires will make it quicker,faster,more responsive because you will not be using a gyro and that right there removes about 8oz of weight.Take a look at my bike,i have several pics in this thread.
Last edited by gurumods; Sep 25, 2012 at 09:22 PM.