Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:00 PM
United States, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Apr 2006
149 Posts
Absolutely !!.I also feel that 3mm is too much to cut off.My disc fell off during a run.I just moved the servo mnt holes 1mm further inward hoping that will keep the disc in place,but my main problem is that the discs get squeezed together outside of the disc diameter which makes them seperate in the front because the pressure point from the servo arm is outside the disc dia.I hope i explained it right,you know what i mean ??.
gurumods is offline Find More Posts by gurumods
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2012, 07:08 PM
gravity tester
LaPine,OR Quarztsite AZ
Joined Nov 2008
706 Posts
....i recently recieved one of these bikes because although our roads are dirt, both here in Oregon and in Arizona, our Quartzsite, AZ neighborhood has recently had the streets paved, so the DXR 500 seems to be an easy and fun bike to run up and down the street around some track discs....i'll also be tuning in to pick up all the tips i can to make the most of my new yellow bike!
MRFASTPHIL is online now Find More Posts by MRFASTPHIL
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:40 PM
gravity tester
LaPine,OR Quarztsite AZ
Joined Nov 2008
706 Posts
....the DXR 500 looks pretty good, and most drivers seem to agree they handle well. As we live in kinda remote areas, i will enjoy countless hours of running the bike striving for my personal best!...i do have a question or two that i hope you could help me with, such as....How does the ESC know if you are using a lipo or NiMh battery, and how does it handle LVC?
Old Jul 31, 2012, 06:46 AM
Joined Apr 2006
149 Posts
I feel safe to say that the lvc is 3.2 per cell and rest is auto detect.If you have a good area to run at,take that gyro off(get some alum wheels) and it comes alive.Yeah it aint no sb5,but it is a fast fun ride.

On another note = i use these sullivan s517 Golden rods,just the yellow peices,

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...2&I=LXFV12&P=K

for my stabilizers and they work perfect.They have just the right amount of flex to them,but the balls on the ends are wearing out and duratrax makes you purchase the entire stabilizer kit at $14 just to get the balls.Anyone have any ideas for what to use on the ends.
Last edited by gurumods; Jul 31, 2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:31 PM
gravity tester
LaPine,OR Quarztsite AZ
Joined Nov 2008
706 Posts
Thanks for the good tips Guru!....i had a chance to give the new 500 it's first test run, i squeezed a 2cell 5000mah pack in (leaving the bottom cover off) and took off...and was i surprised about how easy the 500 was to drive!....i guess with that big gyro you were talking about, offering all that stability, the bike could slow down to almost a stop, then accelerate quickly out of the turns , go thru some chicanes and hairpins, and hit the straightaway like an arrow!....this bike is easier to drive than i thought, and will fill the bill perfectly for a fun runner and parking lot racer.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 06:12 PM
Joined Apr 2006
149 Posts
Also Phil,if you want a little more speed/accel you can get the aluminum gyro/flywheel which could save you about 4oz or so.It can be tuned with weights if you need more/less stability.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAVVG&P=7
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:38 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,737 Posts
Start with removing weights in stock gyro first.
JohnnyMc is online now Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Aug 01, 2012, 04:41 AM
Joined Apr 2006
149 Posts
I would have mentioned that,but it does not come with weights in it.I know mine was empty
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:12 AM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,737 Posts
lol, oops. I assumed it had them already. Thats what I get for ass-uming.
JohnnyMc is online now Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Aug 01, 2012, 08:35 PM
gravity tester
LaPine,OR Quarztsite AZ
Joined Nov 2008
706 Posts
Thanks guys, i appreciate all the tips!...i had another chance to run the bike today down at the parking lot of our local RC track, Cooper's Raceway....there were about half a dozen guys there and they gathered around to see the new bike...i was feeling pretty confident so i opened her up on the straightaways and on any little bumps, she'd wheelie, i put her thru big fast and slow sharp turns, and everybody was amazed at how the bike slid thru the gravel and water and never went down!...i really like the DXR 500 and it is perfect for having fun.....i think the Sullivan rods would be good, and have you experimented a little on their length Guru? ....and Mac, yes i am thinking about the future and maybe a little more speed, and i am considering leaving the heavy gyro for stability but adding the hot motor.....also, i'm not having any luck getting the lower cover on with my 2cell 5000mah lipo, any trim tips or a better/smaller hardcase size that's working for you?....have fun with your DXR 500, i am!
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:13 PM
gravity tester
LaPine,OR Quarztsite AZ
Joined Nov 2008
706 Posts
...finally stuck some decals on the 500
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:10 AM
Joined Apr 2006
149 Posts
Hey Phil.I have my golden rods 1 3/8" long.One end is threaded into the stock metal stub that has threads on one end and knurled on the other,that end goes into the bike and the other end i use a 6-32 x 3/4" long bolt to hold the ball on.Just keep that bolt a little loose so it can spin freely.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 07:52 PM
Joined Apr 2006
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidoracer View Post
Guru: try using Shoe-Goo or Goop. It's what I've been using for years to mount bike tires to aluminum wheels.
Well i gooped my rear tire 3 times.First time i didnt use enough goop and second time i use too much,but i nailed it on the third try .It is holding up real well with 3 packs thru it and no sign of bead break at all.Last try i gooped a small 3mm bead in each wheel bead and then pulled tire on without smearing it across the insert.I use goop for everything and i know how messy it can be,but just the right amount and it stays put til tire is mounted.Thanks Guido
Old Aug 08, 2012, 03:09 AM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,153 Posts
guru: Sorry I never got back to you about the Shoe Goo (or other RTV) on aluminum rims method. It may be a bit too late, but here it is anyway:

- Clean the tire bead and the rim with your favorite residue-free solvent (I use 91% isopropyl alcohol).

- Mount up the tire and insert to the wheel and wrap the side you are going to glue twice around with vinyl electrical tape, stretching it as you wrap to make it nice and tight.

- Pull back a bit of the tire away from the rim and squeeze Shoe Goo (using the extension tip with just the very end cut off) into bead area. Work your way around the tire until every bit of the bead has Shoe Goo in it. The electrical tape wrap helps ensure the tire seats back into the bead area snugly.

- Squeeze the excess Shoe Goo out from the tire and wipe it off. It usually takes a few wipes. I then like to let it sit for a couple of minutes then rub off the rest of the excess Shoe Goo (it rubs off like a gum eraser).

- Next, run a bead of Shoe Goo around the area where the rim meets the sidewall of the tire, and flatten it with a wet finger (wetting your finger prevents the Shoe Goo from sticking to it).

Let it cure overnight and do the other side the next morning and let the whole thing cure another day.

A couple of notes: I usually do a front and a rear at the same time to maximize my time. To clean the white Shoe Goo tips, get as much Goo out of it as possible, then let whatever is left in there dry for a couple of days. Then you can use a pair of pliers to pull the dried stuff out in once piece, leaving a perfectly clean tip. I have a couple of Shoe Goo tips laying around so while one is drying to clean it, I still have another one I can use. The bead of Goo where the sidewall meets the rim is key. If it does start to break up, you can carefully peel that outer bead off and reapply a Goo bead. Tires glued up this way are re-mountable 95% of the time, though it does take a bit of elbow grease and some patience to peel all the Goo of. I've only had one tire in a couple dozen that I couldn't get all the Goo off to remount onto another rim.
Guidoracer is offline Find More Posts by Guidoracer
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:09 PM
RC keeps me sane
United States, NJ, Carlstadt
Joined Sep 2005
1,310 Posts
I just wanted to chime in on the DXR500. Finally got a chance to drive mine, needless to say it was an impressive change over the off road 450. The gyro has no weights in it stock.
The bike handled rather well out of the box. 2s 4000mah lipo hit a speed of 30mph on GPS.
Maybe a bit faster when I have more room to give it a go. Overall it's a well built strong bike.
A few mods and it'll be a quicker faster handling bike. I made my own shorter side skids to really lean the bike over without hitting them. I needed a bike to hit the parking lots when I'm not flying my planes or helis and this bike is just plain fun. I'm real happy and will be even happier to get it setup and dialed in a bit better to my liking. A great bang for the buck when you get it on "sale".
A great easy to drive entry bike that really has tons of potential to go all out.
microDan is offline Find More Posts by microDan