Joined Aug 2010
3,571 Posts
Best plane everrrrrr!
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2011, 01:26 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,979 Posts
All, thanks for the feedback. I'll pickup one when they become available again.

For what I consider a gale force? Not sure but sometime the wind can be "pretty dang strong" on the mountain tops. Of course there are situation where I'd consider the wind just too strong to fly anything. I carried my Renegade to White Mountain Peak last year and it was a nightmare. The wind was too strong to fly (at least for my average skills), but that wasn't the worst part. I had no bag or backpack arrangement for transport. My son and I just carried the fuse and wing by hand for the 7.5 mile (one way) walk. White Mountain is easy, just a jeep road all the way to the top, but it's long and on this trip we both got headaches for part of the time, it was windy, my feet started to hurt. To top it off we had to carry the plane. When we got to the top all we wanted to do was leave. This trip was a nightmare overall. I forgot the sleeping bags and we had only a couple blankets we borrowed from other campers. Plus the air mattress went flat after 2 hours. hahaha. This happens sometimes even without a plane in hand.
DreamArcher is offline Find More Posts by DreamArcher
Old May 18, 2011, 01:41 PM
Full disclosure, not sponsored
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,159 Posts
Get a weasel as well if you want to fly in higher winds!!!!
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old May 21, 2011, 08:55 AM
Watch your 6
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Jul 2010
710 Posts
Jake - We need an Alula catch-around today. You are teacher.

I flew yesterday at POM north and I only hit myself one time. I was lucky to get within 10' of my shoes. Of course the wind had something to do with it but it was crazy fun. It was almost like sloping except there was some heinous sink at times that precipitated a 100' walk. I had some really long flights, but just when I thought I had enough speed for a down wind turn the bottom dropped out. I found that surfing the plane worked well till I got the plane back close to me then landed, but no catches.

You have your work cut out for you buddy.

Sod Farm Dude, be there!

Now I gotta go fix a few wings so I can fly today.
6Killer is offline Find More Posts by 6Killer
Old May 23, 2011, 01:58 PM
Payson, Utah
Joined Feb 2010
147 Posts
Am trying to swing a extra DX6i. If you have upgraided and have one gathering dust. Would like to put it to use not to to picky about cosmetics as long as everthing works or would be easly fixed. PM me. Thanks.
burhead27 is offline Find More Posts by burhead27
Old May 25, 2011, 09:19 PM
Watch your 6
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Jul 2010
710 Posts
JAKE you sum-ba-gun! I am on your trail!! I smashed my old record for catching the Alula today. I went over to fly with Adrian today, but the wind at POM north was too turbulent for me. So I came back over to Timberline JR High and it was just right with the wind out of the south. My old record for catching the Alula was 2 times. today I caught it 7 times and about twice that many times it hit my hand but I couldn't hang on to it. If I keep practicing, I am going to catch up with you dude.
Old May 25, 2011, 11:51 PM
Jakie fetch plane?!
Stuck in the basement, Utah
Joined Aug 2010
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Killer View Post
JAKE you sum-ba-gun! I am on your trail!! I smashed my old record for catching the Alula today. I went over to fly with Adrian today, but the wind at POM north was too turbulent for me. So I came back over to Timberline JR High and it was just right with the wind out of the south. My old record for catching the Alula was 2 times. today I caught it 7 times and about twice that many times it hit my hand but I couldn't hang on to it. If I keep practicing, I am going to catch up with you dude.
Great stuff, man! I look forward to doing a catch-off!
JetPack Ninja Jr is offline Find More Posts by JetPack Ninja Jr
Old May 27, 2011, 09:42 PM
Tight is Right
Lehi, Utah, United States
Joined Dec 2001
7,694 Posts
Since these are never in stock, what is the local DLG take on this plane from GP:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1&I=LXKAG3&P=3
Darren Hintze is online now Find More Posts by Darren Hintze
Old May 28, 2011, 02:13 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Hintze View Post
Since these are never in stock, what is the local DLG take on this plane from GP:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1&I=LXKAG3&P=3
Fun plane. Not a bad sloper. But not even in the same league as an Alula, and definitely not a performance DLG. I wouldn't recommend it.
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old May 28, 2011, 09:29 AM
Watch your 6
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Jul 2010
710 Posts
Flew my Alula in 2 sessions yesterday, once in the morning with Jake at Vineyard and once with Adrian and Coop at POM north for an evening fly. Good times with Jake with barely any wind at Vineyard and a fun fly at POM with a slight wind that steadily increase over about a half hour to the point I came down before I broke something. Good times Alula.
Old May 29, 2011, 01:15 AM
Full disclosure, not sponsored
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,159 Posts
Darren, just get a TSOL and be done with it. You wont regret it.
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old May 29, 2011, 09:02 AM
Watch your 6
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Jul 2010
710 Posts
Jon - You should have seen Darren Saturday morning about 8:30 am. He has a 2 meter with a motor pod on it. He took it up, turned off the motor, caught a thermal and specked it out. He was flying with some birds under this small cloud that came over. His neck got tired and I think he laid down in the grass and just watch that beauty go. Good times.

I flew my Alula 2 times yesterday. I started at the Sod Farm but just flew the Slow Stick, then I went Eagle Mountain and flew the Alula with my son, and then went to POM North and flew with Adrian, Coop, and Alex. Then I went home and worked on my TopSky. I got my wing done including wiring harnesses.
Old May 29, 2011, 09:09 PM
I shouldn't be flying either!!
United States, UT, Pleasant Grove
Joined Mar 2010
235 Posts
Alula's are back in stock!!!!
Scooter33 is offline Find More Posts by Scooter33
Old May 30, 2011, 12:15 PM
ɯoɔ˙sǝıqqoɥɥɔǝʇlɐıɹǝɐ ˙ʍʍʍ
United States, UT, Lehi
Joined Apr 2005
632 Posts
Current orders will ship within two weeks of purchase.

Anyone going to try and get a discount doing a group buy? I'd be interested in purchasing 2. Let me know...

Thanks,
Mike K.
smileyz is offline Find More Posts by smileyz
RCG Plus Member
Old May 30, 2011, 12:20 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,138 Posts
I might do one on a group buy. Let me know the details.
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly