HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:38 AM
Hit Me! Please!
Provo, UT
Joined Jan 2005
3,989 Posts
You guys are all like my corner drug dealer. Only difference is you don't give away the first sample of crack for free.
jwjohnson is offline Find More Posts by jwjohnson
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:39 AM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,095 Posts
Yeah, but we show you how to use it properly!!!!!
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:49 AM
A different attitude to RC
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
2,735 Posts
If you want your free sample, I can help you put it together!
extremewing is online now Find More Posts by extremewing
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:09 AM
Joined May 2002
17,095 Posts
^
|
|
|
|

Not just a dealer, but a distributer....
Old Dec 13, 2011, 08:14 PM
Jakie fetch plane?!
Stuck in the basement, Utah
Joined Aug 2010
329 Posts
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." -Hunter S. Thompson.

DLG-er's frame of mind!
JetPack Ninja Jr is offline Find More Posts by JetPack Ninja Jr
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:26 AM
United States, UT, Riverton
Joined Sep 2011
6 Posts
I followed Extremewings building guides. I'm very excited to fly my Alula but have also seen a few additional mods I'm hoping you guys will comment on. Should I use extreme tape or other to reinforce leading edge. I have installed the wing removal kit and have seen a thread that indicates to move the servos to the center of the wing to better control the elevons. Is this something you would recommend.
kpjkl4 is offline Find More Posts by kpjkl4
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:38 AM
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
2,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpjkl4 View Post
I followed Extremewings building guides. I'm very excited to fly my Alula but have also seen a few additional mods I'm hoping you guys will comment on. Should I use extreme tape or other to reinforce leading edge. I have installed the wing removal kit and have seen a thread that indicates to move the servos to the center of the wing to better control the elevons. Is this something you would recommend.
I can suggest that putting tape on the leading edge is not a good idea - it will not stop it getting damages and just add weight. (Just my personal opinion )

I would not move the servo's either! You want them to be near the center of the fuse so as much weight as possible is close to the center line... We have never had a problem as they are.

There are also those that put the push rods on top of the wing. I have done it both ways and found no benefit to the push rods on top... Simpler and easier to do it as designed!

The wings can be removed without the wing removal kit. Just cut (rather than removing) the tape where they join and pull off! Then, use some normal narrow clear tape to re-attach. This is assuming you followed the instructions on the first post

Also, one more thing that is really worth doing, is to cover the extreme tape with colored "zagi" tape. This is well worth it to prevent the sun from damaging the extreme tape over time...
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:28 PM
Cottonwood Heights
Joined Jul 2005
168 Posts
I'm a little late to the party..... What's the servo of choice you guys are running? And where's the least expensive place to pick up
A set.

I just ordered my first Alula.
thecirque is offline Find More Posts by thecirque
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:09 PM
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
2,735 Posts
The best servo's for the Alula (IMHO) are HS-45HB. They have carbonite gears and will slip instead of stripping, therefore lasting a long time.

You do not need the digital version (analog version can be $10 or less). The digital version (if you had more money than sense or just like high end!) is an HS-5045HB and can be $20 or more.

Get them from the local hobby store or online.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:53 PM
Addicted to lift
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2010
513 Posts
HXT500's have served me well, fit like a glove in the slot, and if they strip (which I have not done yet after probably 1000 launches on my first Alula EVO), who cares, they're super cheap.
eosglider is offline Find More Posts by eosglider
Old Mar 16, 2012, 01:19 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,110 Posts
Pick a servo that has good centering and resolution. Super cheap ones don't! You won't notice the difference on most planes. But accurate pitch control is critical for the Alula elevons, and it will be a major battle to get a good consistent repeatable hands off glide without it. I would go with nothing less than the analog HS-45HB, with digitals being even better.
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Mar 16, 2012, 03:22 PM
Cottonwood Heights
Joined Jul 2005
168 Posts
Perfect, thx for the responses.

Can I ask about the Battery thing too?

I saw the soldered up 4 cell recommended In the 1st post build log ( awesome, by the way, thanks!!) Why don't I want to just use the same Lipo's I'm flying in my B2? Seems easier to just keep the same chemistry rather than a "step back" to old tech. Is it just a balance/weight thing?

Thx
Mike
thecirque is offline Find More Posts by thecirque
Old Mar 16, 2012, 03:34 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,571 Posts
balance/weight - expense thing

It is a happy coincidence that the 4 aaa cells balance the Alula almost perfectly so you no longer add weight to the nose.

The 4 little aaa nimh batteries give lonnnnng times between charges.
Easy to charge too. I use the same 4 button charger that I use to charge up all of my lipos (and my transmitter)
jetpackninja is online now Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Mar 16, 2012, 03:35 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,571 Posts
Nice to see some action on this thread!
It's been silent for a long time
jetpackninja is online now Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Mar 16, 2012, 04:54 PM
Joined May 2002
17,095 Posts
Yep the 4 cell pack is not only perfect size and weight, its also cheap in tough!