HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 29, 2011, 08:28 AM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,411 Posts
I recently read of a silicon tube coupler that slipped off. I've used them with no problem, but if you want to be sure, you could tie both ends with some cotton-wrapped, polyester carpet thread. I use the "constrictor knot": by squeezing the tubing tight around the shaft, it will increase friction between tube and shaft. The knot is famous for not coming undone; you can clip off the ends of the thread quite short.

http://www.netknots.com/html/constrictor_knot.html
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2011, 05:33 PM
Be afraid!
Milano
Joined Dec 2003
458 Posts
Exellent tip!

Brooks, exellent tip indeed, it made my day!

Locking magnets installed and trim rechecked.
Trimmed to keep in the air top half of the sail, leveled and with a slight offset to the left for torque compensation.
I've got to reduce alot the throttle: this thing is a torpedo
Cuddles is offline Find More Posts by Cuddles
Old Aug 02, 2011, 12:07 PM
Be afraid!
Milano
Joined Dec 2003
458 Posts
Hello lads,

the first cruise wasn't exactly a success
I had several issues including the dreaded water in the WTC scenario
Well, firstly there was an unbalance due to a lost mammuth screw exacerbated by some air trapped in the stern cone. Two small holes at the end of the stern take care of this issue along with some weight distribution.
Way too much power! Some prop pitch reduction and expo on throttle are to do.
Finally I've found the flattened o-rings to be the culprit of water issue.
On the other hand Kokanee cruise was a success
Last edited by Cuddles; Aug 02, 2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old Aug 04, 2011, 07:04 PM
Be afraid!
Milano
Joined Dec 2003
458 Posts
Just finished!

those aux pods are made with turned hard dowel then splitted in half, hollowed to clear stern planes, glued and painted
That buoy behind sail is styrene rod turned on lathe and hand painted.

The sub is now trimmed slightly more buoyant and a little stern heavy.
Anyway I've decided that this will be strictly a pool toy, can't afford to lose it!
Old Aug 05, 2011, 02:36 AM
Philippines
Joined Jan 2005
878 Posts
Waaa! I want one of those!
redboat219 is offline Find More Posts by redboat219
Old Aug 05, 2011, 04:12 PM
Corfu Greece
Joined Mar 2010
72 Posts
Nice job!!! Really nice!!!
bassplayer1 is offline Find More Posts by bassplayer1
Old Aug 05, 2011, 06:24 PM
Be afraid!
Milano
Joined Dec 2003
458 Posts
Yannis, thank you!
Much appreciated
I can remember your superb Airbus on QEFI pages.

I'm new in this field and have lot to learn, I spent those last 20 years doing just planes but now, submarines are all I want to do
Old Aug 06, 2011, 09:36 AM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Nov 2009
168 Posts
Man that thing looks sharp. makes me want to finish my sub. Too bad bills have to come first before hobbies.

the scribing really made it pop nice job!
asd9000 is offline Find More Posts by asd9000
Old Nov 03, 2011, 10:13 PM
Be afraid!
Milano
Joined Dec 2003
458 Posts
Hello lads,
after a long hiatus I finally had a chance to test and show the "golden fish".
Such was the nickname of this class in the VMS cause of the sheer cost in manpower and resources, and mine isn't an exception!
Just for sitting there, it developed some minor cracks at the base of the fin because i forgot to shape the gangway before glassing the plug... As a result, the zone has been built up with various types of putty: Anyway the lesson has been learned

The annual Submeeting in the beautiful swimming pool of "Canottieri di Lecco" on 30/10 was a long waited event as I couldn't wait anymore to test the little critter!
http://www.nonsolovele.com/DAZAPPING...li/default.htm
And indeed at first impression was like a torque rolling torpedo ripping through the water really fast and hoping not to bang it The xcelorin ESC gives me fwd and rwd for the small Inline 220 but doesn't like to modulate power.... Using the throttle trim the critter goes along in a well mannered way but this does not like to ESC wich quits every four minutes.
It took some time to master, but was extremely fun to make some 8 circuits at tactical speed near the bottom and zip forward to engage a passing Sauro!
Here is a small video I made while a senior modeler was testing the critter...And this is the lone video because I managed to leave home the SDcard..
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...49&postcount=4
Last edited by Cuddles; Nov 03, 2011 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Added photos.