HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by boingk, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 04, 2011, 06:01 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Discussion
Kits and Bits

Its been a good couple of days for flying, and now the weather is closing in. Winter is on its way. No matter, last night I roared up the fire and started on the balsa QuickOats 100 from Stevens Aero which was kindly sent by dhdrover. Thanks again mate, much appreciated.

So far the empennage and left wing are together, still waiting on assembling the fuselage and right wing half. The internals are going to be from my Parkzone UltraMicro P-51, which was my first plane. It took an absolute battering and ended up requiring a manual hold of about 30% left aileron and down elevator to fly. Trim was useless as it'd give unpredictable deathspirals at useful levels. Anyway, its organs are going to a better home so it'll live on (ironically, in something that probably would've made a much better first plane).

The L-4 has been fitted with a Hextronik 24g 1500kv motor, replacing the 3000kv version of the same motor that was in there. I'm still running on 3-cell and have fitted a GWS 8x4 direct-drive prop. It works very well, giving huge thrust and moderate airspeed. Hovering is easily possible, as is 0~5mph groundspeed into a wind. I'd estimate the thrust/weight ratio at 1.5:1, which is about double what it was with the 3000kv motor. Efficiency has soared as well - I'm now using around 70~80mAh per minute in flight, so can get 6 minute flight times from my Rhino 3s 610's and 10 minute flights from the Zippy 3s 1000's. Both times factor in only using 80% lipo capacity, too. Nice.

The speed stick I'm working on hasn't seen any more... er... work but I am waiting on some major components like the motor mount and GWS 5x3 props. I'm planning to run the Hextronik 3000kv from my L-4 in it, with Rhino 3s 610's and an 8/10A ESC. Light and (hopefully) fast setup, should be fun.

As always, stay tuned.

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
to remove ads between posts