HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2003, 08:34 AM
Clintwood, Virginia
Joined Jul 2003
1,146 Posts
Good drop-in replacement for 380?

I'm ready to replace the motor in my electric sailplane. The current motor is arcing quite a bit inside, and I would like something that will last a little longer next time.
The plane is a direct drive with a (unknown) chinese folding prop. The motor shaft is splined where the prop pushes on. I'm willing to try different/better props if I can't get a splined motor shaft.
Are there any suggestions for a good replacement motor for my 380 that I can wire in and go?

Thanks for any help!
Wayne
Newberry is offline Find More Posts by Newberry
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2003, 09:30 AM
Plane hugging cat
Mackay Queensland Australia
Joined Sep 2001
1,355 Posts
380's are Speed 400's but I've never seen one with a splined shaft.

"Arcing quite a bit" sounds like something is wrong. Overloaded, binding or incorrectly timed perhaps?

Unless overloaded speed 400 motors usually last for ages.

Can you give information on your cell count/type so we may recommend motor/prop type?
Vonbaron is offline Find More Posts by Vonbaron
Old Aug 13, 2003, 09:57 AM
Clintwood, Virginia
Joined Jul 2003
1,146 Posts
Thanks for the help Vonbaron.
I'm running the plane stock right now. I did change the 3channel radio out for a standard hitec receiver that is just a tad heavier than the little AM receiver. I'm using my Prizm 7x for control. The plane is sold online at several different places, www.raidentech.com and www.cvtrading.com (accipiter badius, and slope diver- same thing)
I don't know what type of info is useful for determining motor needs, but I'm running an 7cell 600mah nimh pack (aaa cells) in it with the stock speed control (which seems to work well). I don't know the rating of the ESC.
I don't know how accurate they are, but the sites give these specs:

Wing Area: 14dm2

1. Wingspan: 42 inches 1100mm

2. Length: 32 inches 820mm

3. Weight: 15.87 ounces
500g

4. Power Supply (flight pack): 8.4V 600mAh NiMh

5. Motor: 380

6. Distance of Control: 1580 feet 500m

7. Rising velocity: 16 feet per second 5 meters per second

9. Flight time: 12 or more minutes on each charged flight pack (depending upon if you glide more).

You can see the motor here: http://www.cvtrading.com/SD380Motor.htm

And by arcing, I notice one brush constantly arcs around the brush. I'm going to spray it out with motor cleaner and see if it improves.
Thanksk again,
Wayne
Old Aug 13, 2003, 10:21 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
For that pack and type of plane, I'd go for a geared 400 - say 3.5:1 and a prop something like an 11x7 folder.

If it would fit in.

She looks sweet. I'd like to have something like that. Used to but smashed it trying to do a barrel roll at 10 ft altitude. I think I got bored with it, but I miss it now.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Aug 13, 2003, 10:52 AM
Clintwood, Virginia
Joined Jul 2003
1,146 Posts
Thanks Vintage1,
Its a cheap plane ($80 delivered w/everything) but its held up well to my bad flying. Extra parts are also cheap Wings-$7 Tail sets ($4) and Batteries ($10).

I have never used a geared motor (this is my first plane!). You would think that adding gears would waste energy (I know otherwise by all the geared planes I keep reading about!).

How much length would the gear setup add to my motor?
Old Aug 13, 2003, 04:08 PM
oakdale, ny, usa
Joined Aug 2000
3,985 Posts
Newberry:

The objective with a powered glider is usually to get up to altitude. Geared motors with larger props are the way to go

True they are a bit more complicated and You would have to fit the gearbox motor combo to your plane.

You may try a torquier motor that may be able to spin a larger prop without a gear box if you can findo someone who has some experince with this.
poobs is offline Find More Posts by poobs
Old Aug 14, 2003, 05:46 AM
Plane hugging cat
Mackay Queensland Australia
Joined Sep 2001
1,355 Posts
AAA cells are a little weak for a direct speed 400 also. I imagine there would be quite a voltage drop. KAN 650's might perform a little better but are more expensive.
Vonbaron is offline Find More Posts by Vonbaron
Old Sep 11, 2004, 12:43 PM
T-rex 450 killer
Chandler, AZ
Joined Sep 2004
294 Posts
Hey Newberry, where did you get those wings? Never seen ones with double dehidral like that. They look like flying dragon wings, but they clearly say Accipiter Badius on them. How are the turn in characteristics?

Thanks
spence46 is offline Find More Posts by spence46
Old Sep 11, 2004, 02:59 PM
Clintwood, Virginia
Joined Jul 2003
1,146 Posts
I got mine from www.raidentech.com Much better turning wing and the center is connected when you receive the wing, you just have to unfold the dehidral and put in the braces. Around $7 last time I bought one. Much better than the straight wing IMHO!
Old Sep 11, 2004, 04:59 PM
T-rex 450 killer
Chandler, AZ
Joined Sep 2004
294 Posts
Cool, yeah I looked on raidentech but didn't see any but the straight ones. Any suggestion where to look? Also did you ever get a stronger motor? I have a stryker and it has a 480 motor that is the same diameter as the one in the badius only longer and much stronger. Parkzone sells replacement ones for $10.

Thanks
spence46 is offline Find More Posts by spence46
Old Sep 11, 2004, 05:09 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
Long can 480 on 6x3 folder really rocks. Especially on 3s LIPO. Just get some cooling air into it tho.

If you take a plane that flies on 7x600AE and replace with long can 480 and 3s 2100 LIPO, the weight is the same, but the power is about three times greater.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Sep 11, 2004, 08:42 PM
Clintwood, Virginia
Joined Jul 2003
1,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence46
Cool, yeah I looked on raidentech but didn't see any but the straight ones. Any suggestion where to look? Also did you ever get a stronger motor? I have a stryker and it has a 480 motor that is the same diameter as the one in the badius only longer and much stronger. Parkzone sells replacement ones for $10.

Thanks
You may have to give them a call or email to check. It used to be listed on their replacement parts page, but I don't see it right off.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 09:10 AM
Just "PLANE" crazy
Chennai, India
Joined Dec 2003
1,214 Posts
I think this is the wing you are looking for...
http://www.raidentech.com/acbamapa331.html
There is an option for straight or polyhedral
Any way even I have the same plane and am thinking of a motor upgrade...
-Ashwin
Spy king is offline Find More Posts by Spy king