Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by deadbird, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 04, 2011, 03:33 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Build Log
Ultra Micro Sopwith F.1 Camel

I recently and with much regret, decided to put my first attempt of a micro Bf109 in moulded depron onto the shelf for the time being as I was having a hard time keeping it in the air. More down to my lack of flight experience with this type of bird than the plane itself I may add but I thought I should take a step back in one sense and try something a little more docile (I know - a camel isnt exactly the best choice with it's ultra short nose) while tackling a more complex build and pushing my depron manipulation skills further in the process.

Using the plaster mould method I used for the 109 I set about creating the moulds. This time however I had got hold of some 3mm Depron Aero - a lighter weight Depron if their could be such a thing & I wanted to test it out to see how it performed and see if more weight could be saved with little or no degredation of quality.

The other thing I was banking on was the expansion properties of Depron as the wings were 4.5mm at their thickest point so the depron would need to 'grow' between the male & female mould to produce a scale aerofoil.

I used a very hard plaster this time (Crystacast) with a liquid polymer added for extra strength. On advice gained in the forum chats I also washed the moulds in diluted epoxy resin before using them - UREEKA - I still have all of them and each is still in one piece. This made me a very happy man

It took a while to strike the right temperatures for the moulds and plenty of wax release agent between presses too but I got what I wanted - the upper & lower wings, port & starb'd fuselage halves and the tail feathers too. Not perfect by an means but acceptable and worthy of a build.

So currently in the few moments I do get, I am slowly piecing together the Camel, just completed the U/C and am currently working on the struts.

This will be a slow build from here as I have a number of commitment to fulfill but I thought I would take the opportunity to get down the progress so far.

All the components unassembled on the scale including the brick, motor & battery come to 13g, so with control rods, paint, rigging and other scale details this will climb a little more no doubt!
deadbird is offline Find More Posts by deadbird
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2012, 07:20 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,932 Posts
DB,

Man that camel looks great. What motor gearbox are you using? Also sorry if I missed other posts you may have done but what scale model did you use to make your molds from.

Where did you get the mold making material from, again sorry to but you on this.
I'll go back and read your Bf-109 posts and also see what I can find.

Excellent stuff.

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:12 AM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Hi Pete, its a Plantraco GB03. Might not be up to the job tho but I estimate AUW of the camel to be under 20g so it may work. Its 12g at the momnt with motor & Rx brick. May have to upgrade to the GB04 or GB07 if it dissapoints.

I think I put down its a 1/32 kit - my mistake - its 1/28th scale Revell. They also do a DR1, Spad & Fokker D VII. Should be a few on Ebay.

Mould making material is the plaster stuff like I describe in the other threads. I think if you can afford to, it might be worth using something a little stronger eventually thou - like Harpye & Heliman 420 do. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1323494
deadbird is offline Find More Posts by deadbird