HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2001, 07:46 PM
Joined Sep 1999
9 Posts
Floating Cube

Is anyone building the Floating Cube? I would like more information beside what is in MicroFlight.
simitar is offline Find More Posts by simitar
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2001, 10:46 PM
Razy Crandom Guy
Millville, New Jersey (excl EWR), United States
Joined Sep 2001
281 Posts
I would like to also build one of these, but I need to find plans. Does anyone know if RC Microflight has them or they ar available. My local shops and newstands don't carry the magazine.
WyndShadow is offline Find More Posts by WyndShadow
Old Oct 16, 2001, 06:46 AM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,426 Posts
The plans are available if you subscribe to RC Microflight. In the article there was no information on how to contact the author. A couple of people have questions. The specs for the motor say it's an Astro Firefly with 4:1 gearing and a 20cm Westech carbon prop. That's the prop size Astro recommends for the 16:1 geared Firefly. Is this a typo?
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Oct 16, 2001, 10:27 AM
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
7,700 Posts
Interesting...

I have the smaller cube already and a 4:1 Firefly.
Greg Covey is offline Find More Posts by Greg Covey
Old Oct 16, 2001, 11:55 AM
Houston
Joined May 2001
797 Posts
Another "powered kite" was built by Alexander Graham Bell... it was composed of groups of tetrahedral cells covered on two sides...
might be worth a look.
lymon is offline Find More Posts by lymon
Old Oct 16, 2001, 07:43 PM
Joined Sep 1999
9 Posts
Floating Cube

I have a set of plans from MicroFlight but I have a few questions.
Where do you get the corner connectors? Do you glue the fabric or do you sew it?
I tried to e-mail Daniel Prentice of Shanti Kites about the kit but got no response. If you use the equipment recommended from the MicroFlight article, it will cost $200 plus to make the Floating Cube. This seems like alot of money.
simitar is offline Find More Posts by simitar
Old Oct 16, 2001, 10:03 PM
New York, NY
Joined Dec 2000
1,297 Posts
Greg,

I'd be interested in the details of your floating cube setup with the firefly 4:1.

Jun Nolasco
nolasco is offline Find More Posts by nolasco
Old Oct 16, 2001, 10:13 PM
Razy Crandom Guy
Joined Sep 2001
281 Posts
Cube Kites

I already own two of the Cube Kites, one factory made, one handmade by a good friend. They are pretty cheap, if you want to buy them (I paid about 20 dollars). Most kite shops carry them, but if you want to check them out, try the Kite Loft in Ocean City, Maryland. There are a number of other kites of this type, like the Pop-Kan and the Prism Triad.

Building them is fairly simple, if you have a model to look off of. It is one piece of fabric with the long spars sewn in, and then pockets for the cross spars. I might be able to scoop up some of the plans for the kite only. BTW: it is a VERY fun kite to fly, as well (after some practice).

Anyway, I can't seem to find an issue of RC Microflight here, and everything else wants me to subscribe on the web. I really just want to order the plans. Is there anyway I can just order the plans from them without subscribing?
Old Oct 17, 2001, 08:45 AM
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
7,700 Posts
I have all the parts but have not started the project yet. I recently subscribed to RC microFLIGHT and downloaded the plans. There are some inconsistansies in the review article that Gordon pointed out.

Here is where I bought my cube for $22. It is called "The Cube" and is item #8922. On-line ordering makes it easy.

Into The Wind
Old Oct 17, 2001, 11:36 AM
North Richland Hills, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2000
1,859 Posts
Gentlemen, recently I have been flying a 13 inch cube using a GWS-A and a 9/7 inch prop from an old Litetik. Radio is standard GWS with 2 amp controller. Batteries are just about anything I have laying around. Six/120mah cells work great indoors but eight of the same will rock in roll inside or out. The reason for this configuration is I built one the original size shown on the RC Microflight plans (September) and used a 1524 coreless with 30 dollar carbon prop and highspeed controller and it was quite a cost if I had to buy all components new. Flew nicely though. I had all the parts laying around from a Litestik and simply blew things up to 13 inch panels. Great flyer and inexpensive. Sail took about an hour to do and expense was quite lite. About ten bucks to construct. Anyway, think outside the box when you see plans, make them work for you. Have fun. ed
Ed Couch is offline Find More Posts by Ed Couch
Old Oct 17, 2001, 08:26 PM
Addicted Member
Shrewsbury, MA
Joined May 2001
161 Posts
Hi Ed. I flew with you a few times at the Boys Ranch. What did you use for the "covering"? Do you think something "out of the Reynolds box" could cover this?

I don't think I have seen any of your projects covered in Reynolds wrap.

BTW. Do you have a web site where you show your planes? I see your name and various projects mentioned from time-to-time. Very impressive. I think my favorite is your <A HREF="http://www.nyblimp.com/litestick/flapper.htm">FlapperStick</A>.
miker is offline Find More Posts by miker
Old Oct 18, 2001, 12:23 AM
Razy Crandom Guy
Joined Sep 2001
281 Posts
Covering A Cube

I have seen so many variations on the kite form of this "plane" made out of so many different materials, I was wondering if anyone would try Reynolds. The proper material is a ripstop nylon or polyester laminate, sometimes sold under the brand name "Icarex," but I have seen them made out of Tyvek, Wrapping Paper, Mylar, and newspaper. A good source for kite fabric is "The Kite Studio," but offhand I don't have their web site. Also "Hang 'Em High Fabrics," if they are still around.

I'm going to have to track down an issue of RC Microflight to get this article, because it intrigues me so much. A few years ago, this kite made a big splash in the kite world when it was introduced, because it was such a different idea. I've seen them as small as a half inch to a side, to as large as 4 feet to a side. It was not uncommon to see whole fleets of these little guys flying at festivals.
Old Oct 18, 2001, 06:17 AM
North Richland Hills, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2000
1,859 Posts
Mike, the covering is the lightweight sailcloth mentioned earlier. As for as Reynolds Wrap, its great for covering sandwiches and glass bowls. There is no frame around the leading or trailing edges as there is no need, the kite is held in shape by compression and expansion and I don't think Reynolds wrap will do much good. Also, all kidding aside the dang thing is about bullet proof except for the prop and that is not much problem if you move the motor/servo assembly inside the body of the kite. I've bounced out of trees, off the side of houses and just went on flying, hit the road square on the nose and damaged nothing but my pride. Into the Wind sells a little 12 inch model that should be perfect for modification for twenty two bucks. It and an old Stik motor/gear and you can be in business. There is a site outside and I can't find it now that has a back door into RC Microflight on this article, I had it the other day and thought I had marked it but alais I did not. On the question of site for my toys, nope I don't, never thought much about it, but drop me a line offline and I'll send you some pictures of the aforementioned cube and my new butterfly. ed.e.couch@lmco.com. Also folks, where do I go about putting pictures on this thing and I'll add some to the discussion, you know what they say about a picture and words. ed
Ed Couch is offline Find More Posts by Ed Couch
Old Oct 18, 2001, 08:00 AM
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
7,700 Posts
WyndShadow,

The "Floating Cube" article is in the September 2001 issue of RC microFLIGHT.

Ed,

The 12" Cube is the one I bought for $22. I posted the link previously. It sounds like this thing isn't too bad to fly. I was concerned that it would be "twitchy".

You can post pictures easily by using the new "Attach File" feature found at the bottom of the screen when adding a new post.

Regards.
Old Oct 18, 2001, 09:39 AM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,426 Posts
Ed and others. Thanks for the info. I wanted to build one of these, but I have no access to a sewing maching. I had no idea that you could buy these kites premade and simply install our gear in it. The GWS solution is a good one. I don't know if I want one of these bad enough to put all my expensive gear in. On the other hand, I have no problem putting GWS gear I have laying around in it. The great thing about GWS stuff is it is inexpensive and so versatile it just begs for experimentation!

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson