I finally placed an FPV order!

This is what I ordered from readymaderc.com

Custom FPV Starter Package: 900MHz
Video Format - PAL
Camera - GoPro HD Hero Naked
Video Transmitter - 900MHz 500mW TX
RX Antenna - 8dBi 900MHz Patch
Batteries - 460-500mA Batteries for TX and RX

I spent all morning reading about video format. I decided to go with PAL.

From what I've heard, this kit is plug and play. That's what I needed being that I'm fairly lost.

Anyway, so now I just need to get some used goggles. Time to do more reading!

I'm hoping towards the end of the week I'll have my first FPV flight with my Slow Stick.

I do have one question. Right now I have an AR500. I'm was planning on using an AR6200 in the Slow Stick because I have one laying around. But I've also heard that won't do it.

My TX is a Dx6i. I'm not planning on going for a huge distance. If I could get even 1/2 mile, that'd be more than I need.

What do you think the range of my Dx6i with an AR6200 will be?

Is it necessary to go with an AR7000?

Thanks guys! Looking forward to giving this a try.
Steve
Steve91t is offline Find More Posts by Steve91t
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2011, 09:37 AM
Why is the Rum gone?
USA, GA, Savannah
Joined Mar 2008
1,668 Posts
Pal doesn't play on NTSC American TVs. You can use a regular american VCR and record the Pal signal. As long as you are aware its ok.

PAL = European format
NTSC = North American format
sim_io is offline Find More Posts by sim_io
Old Apr 04, 2011, 09:39 AM
United States, NC, Huntersville
Joined Feb 2009
520 Posts
That's what I've read. Does it matter since I'm recording with the GoPro?

The video goggles is the only thing I'm going to have to worry about, right?

Thanks,
Steve
Old Apr 04, 2011, 09:59 AM
Toronto Canada
Joined Jan 2008
656 Posts
YOu need ntsc. Better call Tim and change it
lilphil26 is offline Find More Posts by lilphil26
Old Apr 04, 2011, 10:04 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,060 Posts
Why are people using the GoPro as and FPV camera? It's big, heavy and the BLC is not as good as many others out there. Is the resolution that much better? I can't tell the difference between 420TVL and 600TVL.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 04, 2011, 10:22 AM
KragerÝ, Norway
Joined Jun 2010
671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sim_io View Post
Pal doesn't play on NTSC American TVs. You can use a regular american VCR and record the Pal signal. As long as you are aware its ok.

PAL = European format
NTSC = North American format
I live in Norway, and tried my NTSC fpv camera on my Samsung 55` and that worked.

IB Crazy:

I dont understand why people dont use it as a FPV cam.:P It has autofocus, it has a great FOV and it record the flight in pure HD. Hehe. What is the disadvatage of this?
Voguna is offline Find More Posts by Voguna
Old Apr 04, 2011, 10:23 AM
Joined Feb 2009
520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilphil26 View Post
YOu need ntsc. Better call Tim and change it
Thank you, I sent Tim an email.
Old Apr 04, 2011, 10:23 AM
CEL abuser
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Dec 2010
392 Posts
I've got a buddy that swears by it. I just put a wide angle lens on my SN555 and it looks just as good through the goggles to me.

Maybe most just want an onboard HD camera and flight camera all in one? I think the gopro is a brick man. My contour HD is much lighter, no real time video out but I don't care.
pr0ject42 is offline Find More Posts by pr0ject42
Old Apr 04, 2011, 10:25 AM
Joined Feb 2009
520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
Why are people using the GoPro as and FPV camera? It's big, heavy and the BLC is not as good as many others out there. Is the resolution that much better? I can't tell the difference between 420TVL and 600TVL.

-Alex
I'm brand new and honestly, I don't know what BLC is along with TVL. All I know is the transmitted video won't be HD from the GoPro, but it'll record in HD.

I also wanted the GoPro because it records, and because I can use it for all of my other hobbies. Motorcycles, racing cars, boats, flying (all real stuff, not RC).

I know it's heavy, but my SlowStick will handle the weight.

Thank you,
Steve
Old Apr 04, 2011, 10:29 AM
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post

-Alex
For me the trade off is mainly the HD footage. It's true it's heavy, not aerodynamic and pretty expensive.

But it's also very tough. I crashed from 100' onto the nose and it was still recording. Also very versatile and gets more use other than FPV for me. The best FPV cams out there are only appealing to me for FPV alone.
CaliDave is offline Find More Posts by CaliDave
Old Apr 04, 2011, 10:34 AM
Joined Feb 2009
520 Posts
I once strapped my older Cannon point and shoot to the top of my SlowStick. It flew, but I'll admit not well. WOT and it was just barely hanging in there. I'm hoping the GoPro will be OK being that it's nearly half the weight.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSho.../ref=de_a_smtd

The GoPro weighs 3.3 oz.

My Cannon weighs 5.5 oz.
Old Apr 04, 2011, 12:01 PM
Portland, OR
Joined Feb 2007
1,332 Posts
Is the video really any better than flying with a 520 ccd camera? I know it records in HD, which I like, but I heard there is a delay when flying by camera with it.
WBFlyer is offline Find More Posts by WBFlyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 04, 2011, 12:04 PM
Joined Feb 2009
520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBFlyer View Post
Is the video really any better than flying with a 520 ccd camera? I know it records in HD, which I like, but I heard there is a delay when flying by camera with it.
Are you asking me? Because I have no clue....just ordered the thing.
Old Apr 04, 2011, 12:04 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voguna View Post
I live in Norway, and tried my NTSC fpv camera on my Samsung 55` and that worked.

IB Crazy:

I dont understand why people dont use it as a FPV cam.:P It has autofocus, it has a great FOV and it record the flight in pure HD. Hehe. What is the disadvatage of this?
I didn't know it could record and send video back as well. That would explain it.

I guess I'm one of those strange ones who doesn't care to add the weight of an additional camera just to post the video. I'd rather add a few more ounces of battery.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 04, 2011, 12:08 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve91t View Post
I'm brand new and honestly, I don't know what BLC is along with TVL. All I know is the transmitted video won't be HD from the GoPro, but it'll record in HD.
TVL = TV lines

Basically this is the resolution of the camera

BLC - Back light compensation

This is how well the camera adjust for different lighting conditions. BLC is huge in FPV.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member