SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 04, 2011, 10:37 AM
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Joined Sep 2003
512 Posts
Looks like the CS are still being pursued by the Kumar's on rights infringement.
At the same time, the business is still up for sale. And if the information is correct there might be some more production as recently there have been some bulk orders from UK. Also heard that engines might be either supplied as CKD kits or crank case alone and rest may be machined in UK. In both cases the bugbear of Aurora made Mills i.e. QC could well be taken care.
If some one wants to contact the manufacturers shoot me a PM and I would put you in touch
mchandrayan is offline Find More Posts by mchandrayan
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2011, 03:25 PM
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Apr 2007
1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchandrayan View Post
Looks like the CS are still being pursued by the Kumar's on rights infringement.
At the same time, the business is still up for sale. And if the information is correct there might be some more production as recently there have been some bulk orders from UK. Also heard that engines might be either supplied as CKD kits or crank case alone and rest may be machined in UK. In both cases the bugbear of Aurora made Mills i.e. QC could well be taken care.
If some one wants to contact the manufacturers shoot me a PM and I would put you in touch
Your post raises more questions than answers Firstly, I thought that the legal case was against DB, not CS, although it wouldn't surprise me as DB told me that he was allowed to clear the remaining stock but that no more should be produced.

Peter Rose used to be the only UK distributor, maybe he's ordered a new batch, but who's making them in India?

Who do you mean by 'the manufacturers' - Aurora? Why would the quaility improve? Are you saying that the business has been purchased by someone else? Sorry if I'm missing something.
DeeBee1 is offline Find More Posts by DeeBee1
Old Oct 05, 2011, 12:21 AM
Joined Sep 2003
512 Posts
DeeBee
Sorry if I was not clear
The DB case was settled and you are also right that they were allowed to clear the stocks but no new manufacture.
The Kumar's of Calcutta (Aurora Models) are also on the tails of CS as CS has not stopped manufacturing the Mills even after demise of Boddo. Name change from Mills to Miller is of no consequence as far as IP/Trademark rights go.
Except Aurora no one has the original dies so manufacturing would be done by them. I am at this moment not clear on who is ordering those engines in to UK.
The quality should improve because the quality problem was not with the crankcase casting but the metallurgy, machining and quality of fit and finish. Hence if some one were to either get the CKD kits or just the cast cases and assemble or machine the rest I am sure a better quality would be assured.

As for rights to Mills no it has not been purchased yet, but is still up for sale should some one want to from Kumar's of Aurora.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 02:45 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,136 Posts
Thanks for the clarification - that's really useful information you have provided. Let's see what happens next! The whole Mills story is quite interesting, maybe they'll make it into a film one day

I replied to your PM by the way.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 07:36 AM
Joined Sep 2003
512 Posts
Film...
Yes I think that would be good plot, but from an Indian movie perspective while we have all ingredients where is the glamour??
But I think I should seriously seed the idea into Mr.Kumar's mind
Last edited by mchandrayan; Oct 05, 2011 at 07:37 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old Oct 05, 2011, 08:04 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,136 Posts
I think Suresh Kumar originally took over Mills production and then Ravi took over from Suresh (Ravi was Suresh's son presumably). Is this correct? Who runs the business now?
Old Oct 05, 2011, 11:09 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,180 Posts
A while back I had acquired a Mills 1.3cc model diesel engine. it looks like someone had made a new intake venturi for it, as it doesn't seem to look like the correct one for the engine. Anyway it looks like the real thing and not a replica.

earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Oct 05, 2011, 11:14 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,180 Posts
this is a pic of someone else's Mills .075cc engine replica. I was helping him to get the feel for how to start and run model diesel engines.

and a video of him starting it. if you click on it, it'll take you to Photobucket and run the video.

RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2011, 02:55 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,136 Posts
Thanks for the photos. The first engine does indeed look like an original Mills 1.3 Mk I Series I. As you have noted, the original fuel bowl and needle valve assembly has been replaced, possibly to allow the use of a bigger external tank.

The 0.75cc is also very nice. I really like Mills engines, even though a .75 took a slice out of my finger this week and I had to have it glued back together by a nurse (the finger, not the engine!).

The Mills family can turn big props for their size and can be under-compressed or throttled back to run slowly if required. There were many models of all types designed around the Mills and they are arguably the best and most popular of all the British diesels!
Old Oct 05, 2011, 05:15 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,180 Posts
Thanks

here is a video of when I ran one of my Mills engines a while back. I had accidentally left the switch on 3 blades for the tachometer at the time.
Test Running a PLine Mills 0.75cc model diesel engine replica (1 min 4 sec)

In this video I got the switch correct on the tachometer though.
Mills 0.75CC Model Diesel Engine PLine replica (0 min 50 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2011, 12:04 AM
Joined Sep 2003
512 Posts
DeeBee!
Your information is indeed right. Ravi and Rishi are brothers
The business these days is run my Mr Rishi Kumar.
Old May 07, 2012, 02:02 AM
Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia
Joined Mar 2008
549 Posts
Mills .75

Lady luck does smile upon you occasionally.

I have been fortunate enough to have been given a somewhat grubby, but otherwise good, used English Mills .75. Compression, bearing and connecting rod fits are fine for further running.

The tank is not original, and is badly perished. I would like to restore this classic. Are original pattern tanks available for purchase as spares? If so, contact details would be greatly appreciated.
fiery is online now Find More Posts by fiery
Old May 07, 2012, 03:33 AM
Southampton, UK
Joined May 2007
828 Posts
peter rose in england does mills spares see http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...e#post17930019

actually earlier posting in this thread
john
John38 is offline Find More Posts by John38
Old May 07, 2012, 03:37 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,970 Posts
You've been lucky........these engines don't show up too often these days...Congrats..!!

You may find a tank & other bits

HERE

or

HERE

Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand
Old May 07, 2012, 07:23 PM
Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia
Joined Mar 2008
549 Posts
Mills .75 tank

Thanks gents. My regards to you both. It looks like I have some options.
fiery is online now Find More Posts by fiery