HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2011, 07:43 AM
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Apr 2007
1,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery View Post
If anyone has bought a CS Mills (Miller? ) engine in the past few months, please let us know what you think of it!
I own three (2 x 0.75cc and 1 x 1.3cc). Mine all start well after running in and seem to be of a good quality. I've never measured the RPM or anything like that, but they get models into the air and keep them there until the fuel runs out I also have a couple of Auroras and an original Mills, and the CS engines seem to run just as well.
DeeBee1 is offline Find More Posts by DeeBee1
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2011, 01:47 PM
Balsadustus Producerus
Escondido, CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,019 Posts
I bought a CS Mills .75 from Ed Carlson about two months ago, and it runs rather well. Initial break-in runs were only on prime fuel but later efforts resulted in running out the tank repeatedly, once I notched the fuel pickup tube slightly (it was too long and closed itself off on the tank bottom). It has about 30 tanks run through it now and I've gone to running it just because I like to, as the intended airplane, a Tomboy, is not yet built. The only thing I've run into is sometimes I can't back off the compression--I unscrew the adjustment but the contrapiston does not move up to reduce compression. I called Ed about that and he suggested refitting the contrapiston carefully, but I'll have to manufacture some kind of clamp-wrench to remove the headfins without damaging them. Just haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

On standard Aerodyne fuel, with a black square-tip Cox 7x3 1/2 nylon prop I tach it around 74-7600 rpm, density altitude around 2400 msl and near 76 degree day.
Balsabird is offline Find More Posts by Balsabird
Old Aug 27, 2011, 05:28 PM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsabird View Post
I unscrew the adjustment but the contrapiston does not move up to reduce compression.
Less likely, but it might be worth checking so that the contra piston isn't made of alu alloy, which has a higher heat expansion than steel/iron, obviously making the cp lock to the liner when hot.... (I hope this isn't the case...)
To mention an example, this was the case on an early version of the Hungarian 1 cc "VT-8" diesel...needless to say, they soon had to change this poor choice of material...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsabird View Post
I'll have to manufacture some kind of clamp-wrench to remove the headfins without damaging them.
You won't need any special tool......just use a heat gun (or even a cigarette lighter with a little patience...), and when hot, grip the headfins with a piece of medium thick leather, and turn...

Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand
Last edited by Gluehand; Aug 27, 2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 12:16 PM
Southern Spain
Joined Nov 2003
232 Posts
Quote:
If anyone has bought a CS Mills (Miller? ) engine in the past few months, please let us know what you think of it!
Christmas has come early this year. I couldn't resist the 20% discount offer by CS last month and am now the proud posessor of a 'Miller' 0.5cc.
First impressions are very good, all fits seem excellent and the standard of workmanship is first class. Upon opening the crankase there was a nice diesel smell showing that the engine had been factory run.
Interestingly this engine is not a small Mills 0.75 but a reduced 1.3, making it slightly more robust IMO.
This engine is destined to pull a KK President around-lets hope it performs as well as it looks
John Moore is offline Find More Posts by John Moore
Old Sep 12, 2011, 09:37 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,102 Posts
Looks pretty good.

It is interesting to note that CS does not sell directly to anyone in the USA.
USA is not listed in their registration process.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Sep 13, 2011, 02:50 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Moore View Post
Christmas has come early this year. I couldn't resist the 20% discount offer by CS last month and am now the proud posessor of a 'Miller' 0.5cc.
First impressions are very good, all fits seem excellent and the standard of workmanship is first class. Upon opening the crankase there was a nice diesel smell showing that the engine had been factory run.
Interestingly this engine is not a small Mills 0.75 but a reduced 1.3, making it slightly more robust IMO.
This engine is destined to pull a KK President around-lets hope it performs as well as it looks
Hi John. Nice little motor. I was intrigued by your reference to a "KK President". I know the President was designed by prominent KK designer Albert E Hatfull, but thought it was published as a magazine plan. I'd be interested to know if KK ever actually did do a kit for it.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2011, 06:50 AM
Southern Spain
Joined Nov 2003
232 Posts
Hi George,
Your quite correct, it was not a Keil Kraft kit, but knowing the Hatfull- Keil connection I typed KK without thinking.
I first saw the plan in Sam 35 year book No9, that had an article on Albert's life.
That plan did not have the rib and former drawings. I subsequently discovered that Nexus had added the completed plan to their catalogue, which was where I got my copy.
The President plan has an Amco 0.87cc as it's prime mover, as it is quite a petite model, I'm hoping the 'Miller'0.5 will be sufficient.
As we were talking about Albert Hatfull, his last model design was the Worcraft ' Scarab ' any thoughts on that one?.
John
John Moore is offline Find More Posts by John Moore
Old Sep 13, 2011, 07:49 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,767 Posts
Hi John. Yes I know the Scarab, that's the one with the faired-in monowheel undercarriage. Wing shape and everything looks typical Hatfull, I do like his models. My Bantam (aka Anzac) http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1457843 is an absolute delight and gets flown a great deal.

I should think your Miller 0.5 would be fine for the President, as you say it is quite a "slight" model
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2011, 08:26 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Moore View Post
A small tip for all diesel engine lovers. Those that have tried to unscrew those rear treaded crankcase covers on old diesels in the past will know that due to those superfine treads, it is at sometimes very difficult to do, in some cases it is impossible. Do not want to make pub for Loctite but I have started using this stuff for some time now. It funtions like a glue stick, it is some sort of aluminum coloured paste. By the way, has anyone of you in the past made a repro cover for some old British diesel and found out the tread size. And made it on a Myford or other small lathe. I'll be interested.
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Sep 13, 2011, 03:03 PM
Tiny diesels.... I love 'em
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Aug 2011
224 Posts
not really a mills but a small diesel sideport of mine
Clan 0.24cc (0.015 cu in) diesel model engine tiny (5 min 54 sec)
nitroairplane is offline Find More Posts by nitroairplane
Old Sep 14, 2011, 02:09 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroairplane View Post
not really a mills but a small diesel sideport of mine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlWo6zNaRRI
I did have 2 Clan's and both were leaking badly on the intake tube, was made of some sort of plastic I remember, gave the engines to someone.
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Sep 14, 2011, 02:21 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
I did have 2 Clan's and both were leaking badly on the intake tube, was made of some sort of plastic I remember, gave the engines to someone.
I had a Clan 0.48 that refused to start after hours of trying. I got it replaced and the second one just locked-up and couldn't be flipped over. They looked pretty, but never again!

I haven't heard if anyone has bought the Mills rights and tooling from Aurora yet. They went on sale early in the year. Anyone have any news?
Old Sep 14, 2011, 02:44 AM
Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia
Joined Mar 2008
543 Posts
DeeBee

I am restoring (well, reworking) a couple of big Aurora diesels to running condition. I am curious to know if they will ever be manufactured again. Basic design is sound, let down by poor QC. Just like the K-Mills. Many to most of them were paperweights out of the box. I will post a pic of re-worked example once finished and bench tested.
fiery is offline Find More Posts by fiery
Last edited by fiery; Oct 05, 2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 05:10 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,134 Posts
Quote:
DeeBee

I am restoring (well, reworking) a couple of big Aurora diesels to running condition. I am curious to know if they will ever be manufactured again. Basic design is sound, let down by poor QC. Just liek the K-Mills. Many to most of them were paperweights out of the box. I will post a pic of re-worked example once finished and bench tested.
Hi Fiery,

The story so far is mostly contained in earlier posts in this thread. Following Mr Kumar's passing away, there was an advert in the BMFA newsletter earlier this year inviting offers for ownership of the Mills brand and the tooling etc. required to produce the engines. I would be surprised if no one at least bought the rights to the brand.

Good luck with the restoration
Old Sep 14, 2011, 08:52 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeBee1 View Post
Hi Fiery,

The story so far is mostly contained in earlier posts in this thread. Following Mr Kumar's passing away, there was an advert in the BMFA newsletter earlier this year inviting offers for ownership of the Mills brand and the tooling etc. required to produce the engines. I would be surprised if no one at least bought the rights to the brand.
I thought that too, but it seems everything to produce new engines is well worn.
gossie is online now Find More Posts by gossie