SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 09, 2011, 06:58 AM
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Joined Sep 2003
521 Posts
Having had an oppurtunity to meet the owners of K Mills recently, I was informed that they still retain the rights for the engines and so on all the toolings. Ditto for the Taplin engines as well.
The Pline ones are also made by Aurora (or K for many of us here) of Calcutta.
Another piece of news is that the last batch of the mills would be made this month and no more. The owners are actively looking for buyers who would be interested in picking up the rights and tooling for Mills and Taplin.
Guess after the production stops even the curry Mills would be difficult to get once the current stock is bought up by collectors/flyers
mchandrayan is offline Find More Posts by mchandrayan
Last edited by mchandrayan; Jun 09, 2011 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Gramatical error correction
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2011, 07:00 AM
Joined Sep 2003
521 Posts
In true sense the Curry Mills can not be called replica as the current owners bought the rights and equipments off Mills in UK and continued production in India (though quality has been varying, my two examples never had any issues)
Last edited by mchandrayan; Jun 09, 2011 at 10:15 AM. Reason: correction
Old Jun 09, 2011, 09:01 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,367 Posts
Interesting news. Yeah they might have trouble selling off the assets. One would need to ascertain if the tooling, dies and molds are still good and not worn out. Plus they have to compete with the Chinese CS model engines as well.

I would love to get a Taplin Twin myself. I regretted selling the one I had years ago. That one ran great at the time. It was an Aurora made version but they got it put together correctly.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Jun 09, 2011, 10:19 AM
Joined Sep 2003
521 Posts
Couple of days back saw a Taplin (original British made and NIB) listed on the bay for some 400 odd pound sterling. I think it did not sell. Anway it was way beyond my reach. I am working on a lead locally instead
Old Jun 09, 2011, 11:01 AM
QLD, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
1,553 Posts
Genuine Mills .75's regularly turn up on #bay, some still unrun, and if you dont have to have "that one" and are patient not expensive,I won my NIB .75 for A$76.
And as allready stated the MPJet .040ci (.6cc)is a good alternative and equal if not more powerfull than an original Mills, they are good quality and spares are available.
clipclop is offline Find More Posts by clipclop
Old Jun 09, 2011, 11:49 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchandrayan View Post
Couple of days back saw a Taplin (original British made and NIB) listed on the bay for some 400 odd pound sterling. I think it did not sell. Anway it was way beyond my reach. I am working on a lead locally instead
yeah I saw that one too. It went for a lot more than I wanted to spend on one too.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Jun 09, 2011, 04:26 PM
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Apr 2007
1,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchandrayan View Post
Having Another piece of news is that the last batch of the mills would be made this month and no more. The owners are actively looking for buyers who would be interested in picking up the rights and tooling for Mills and Taplin.
Guess after the production stops even the curry Mills would be difficult to get once the current stock is bought up by collectors/flyers
I was told that Mr Kumar died two or three months ago and it was decided that production would stop. The Mills rights and tooling are indeed up for sale (there was an advert for the business in the most recent BMFA news). I had some email conversations with Mr Kumar last year about producing a 0.5cc Mills and said he was going to prototype one. Not sure if he ever managed to though.

CS now make a .375cc Mills replica - where will it end !!!
DeeBee1 is offline Find More Posts by DeeBee1
Last edited by DeeBee1; Jun 10, 2011 at 04:03 AM.
Old Jun 09, 2011, 10:38 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
I have owned a couple of Aurora Mills, and neither one ran worth spit: they were thirsty, poor runners, nowhere near the originals I owned.

Then I got a Doonside. It was a better engine than the original, LOTS of power, and miserly on fuel. Nearly lost it on a Whitehead-design Bristol Scout when I filled the tank! Find one if you can, you won't be disappointed.
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Aug 17, 2011, 05:12 PM
United States, FL, Titusville
Joined Jan 2001
500 Posts
I have a Mills 1.3 made in Calcutta,,,,willing to part with..Send me a PM
Mark
Marked is offline Find More Posts by Marked
Old Aug 17, 2011, 05:35 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,236 Posts
Any developments after Mr. Kumar's death about restarting Mills diesels production?
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Aug 17, 2011, 09:32 PM
Joined Sep 2003
521 Posts
DeeBee,
You are right about Mr Kumar's (passing away). And no there has been no production of Mills after June 2011. He was trully the man who brought aeromodelling to India.
The reason is, the guy who used to work for Kumar's has finally retired.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 08:12 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,138 Posts
As I mentioned, the whole Mills business, including the rights, was up for sale earlier this year. I haven't heard of anyone buying it yet. I would think that production would need to be modernised to be successful (CNC cutting etc. like CS engines do). Either that or a 'garden shed' manufacturer might buy the tooling and Mills rights. Ideally someone like Ripmax (Irvine) will buy the rights and make Mills engines again.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 12:08 PM
Southern Spain
Joined Nov 2003
235 Posts
Looks like CS engines are no longer in buisness. I have been unable to access their Website and they were recently offering the 1.3 on sale.
Will they be the last of the Mills replicas?
John
John Moore is offline Find More Posts by John Moore
Old Aug 18, 2011, 03:20 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,138 Posts
You're right John, their website isn't working. I hope they haven't closed as they made nice engines (not just the Mills replicas).
Old Aug 18, 2011, 06:41 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,705 Posts
CS diesels

Let's hope that things are still all and well.

Pictures of the little diesel
Post #324
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...054975&page=22

An email from Gao in 2009. Very nice person to deal with.
email csmodels@citiz.net

mailing address given:

Gao Guo Jun
Room 503,N0.13
368 Lane
Guang Zhong Rd
Shanghai 200083
China
JohnAV8R is online now Find More Posts by JohnAV8R