HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 04, 2011, 08:40 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,363 Posts
Discussion
Mills .75cc model diesel engine

I was playing with one of my little Mills .75cc model diesel engine replicas. This example is a PLine branded version made in India.
what I like about a good running Mills diesel is their distinctive sound, easy starting, and that they can lug down and turn some big props in the process.
I was running a Master Airscrew 8x3 prop in the video.

PLine Mills .75cc engine

Mills 0.75CC Model Diesel Engine PLine replica (0 min 50 sec)
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2011, 09:32 AM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,236 Posts
Hello, where can I purchase Mills diesels? Replicas, of course, but I haven't seen them lately and I would love to have them. Thanks!!
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Apr 04, 2011, 12:23 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,363 Posts
Hard to say where one can be acquired. My examples came from various sources over the years. One came from Carlson Imports. I got one from Ebay. Another I bought years ago from Hobby Lobby when they still handled internal combustion engines. And so on. Carlson Engine Imports might get some in fro time to time. I remember someone making some in Australia, and of course I think MP Jet might have made some engines like them too.

Here is some history on the Mills engines: http://modelenginenews.org/cardfile/hardinge.html

Here is a review of the Mills .75cc engine: http://modelenginenews.org/cardfile/m75.html

Here is a pic of my K-Mills engine also made in India by the Aurora factory. I haven't tried running this engine yet.

I bought this Mills .75 engine from Hobby Lobby back circa 1977 when they were selling them at the time. I was unable to get it to work. it turned out they drilled the connecting rod poorly and it was too loose, plus I am not sure about the ports that were drilled in the cylinder sleeve either. Another Mills engine I got, didn't even have holes drilled in the cylinder sleeve. I guess at the time they didn't expect anyone to try and run the engines.

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Apr 06, 2011 at 08:30 AM. Reason: add more info
Old Apr 04, 2011, 01:59 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,363 Posts
One of my favorite videos is one that GlueHand provided a link to of a guy in Sweden who used a Mills .75cc engine to power a model train car.

Hobbymässan 2008: Thomas Leijon kör diesel-lok (2 min 17 sec)

Another neat video is the twin Mills Diesel from Derek Giles:

DerekGilesMillsTwin (3 min 10 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Apr 04, 2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old Apr 05, 2011, 09:04 AM
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Joined Sep 2003
521 Posts
Wow never knew that Aurora had offloaded thier Mills right to Pline?
Need to talk to Aurora guys to find out, if the Pline guys are officialy doing it or is it just ripoff.
If you are looking for a curry Mills (that is made in India Mills, by Aurora) PM me and I would pass on contact details of owners so that you could interact with them directly over phone, email
mchandrayan is offline Find More Posts by mchandrayan
Old Apr 05, 2011, 09:18 AM
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Apr 2007
1,138 Posts
The only place that I know of that are currently producing Mills 0.75cc and 1.3cc engines are CS Engine Imports in China. I have purchsed from them in the past few months without any problems, and they have just had a new batch of Mills engines produced. Their web address is http://www.csmodelengine.com/.

I was recently informed that the Indian manufacturer for many years (Aurora) has stopped production due to family circumstances, and at the moment there doesn't seem to be anyone taking over the business, although that could change of course. A few Aurora engines may still be available from their dealers until stocks run out.

Bampro in the UK sell used engines and are a reliable supplier http://www.bamopro.co.uk/about/front.asp.

Other than that try eBay, especially in the UK and Australia. There are six 0.75s and four 1.3ccs for sale on the UK site right now.
DeeBee1 is offline Find More Posts by DeeBee1
Old Apr 05, 2011, 03:00 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,363 Posts
The last time I visited the P-Line website they weren't listing Mills .75cc engines anymore, so maybe they ran out of stock. They might of had a batch of engines that were made up by Aurora or some other company there.

Now last summer, someone from India was advertising some various model diesel engines for sale to dealers. But I don't think any of us knew who he was associated with. so there may have been a new business that started up making engines.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Apr 05, 2011, 03:32 PM
Southampton, UK
Joined May 2007
848 Posts
Before his untimely death in 2010 David ( Boddo ) Boddington was importing into the UK a range of Mills made in Czechoslovakia . I believe that this production finished with his death.

I am not aware of any other production availability- maybe someone knows better?

My one and only original 0.75 Mills is currently flying free flight in a scaled down Quaker

john
John38 is online now Find More Posts by John38
Old Apr 06, 2011, 03:22 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,138 Posts
The engines that David was importing were the ones produced by CS Engine in China. They are sometimes referred to as 'CS Boddo Mills'.

There is a lovely 0.6cc Czechoslovakian engine produced by MP Jet that is sometimes used as a Mills substitute and which is still in production (see picture).
Last edited by DeeBee1; Apr 06, 2011 at 03:34 AM.
Old Apr 06, 2011, 08:11 AM
*jj
United Kingdom, Birmingham
Joined Jul 2008
322 Posts
I have just bought one from Pline, via Ebay.
*jj is offline Find More Posts by *jj
Old Apr 07, 2011, 07:06 AM
*jj
United Kingdom, Birmingham
Joined Jul 2008
322 Posts
It's now arrived!
*jj is offline Find More Posts by *jj
Old Apr 09, 2011, 03:55 PM
Southampton, UK
Joined May 2007
848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edubarca View Post
Hello, where can I purchase Mills diesels? Replicas, of course, but I haven't seen them lately and I would love to have them. Thanks!!
Chap in England gets Mills made for him in India. He runs them briefly before selling to ensure they are OK

Also understand he is getting some 1.3 mills as well.

Name is
P.J.Rose
15 Lynchets Road
Amesbury
Wiltshire
United Kingdom
SP4 7HZ

mobile phone no is 07900 841550 - I think you drop the lead "0" and dial 44 first to get the UK. Remember the time difference if you do phone him.

John
John38 is online now Find More Posts by John38
Old Apr 09, 2011, 07:41 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,236 Posts
Hi John, Thank you very, very much for your information. I will contact him by phone which is easier these days. And yes, we have a 5 hour difference from GMT to Colombian time. Sorry he doesn't have an email, or perhaps he does? I will ask him.

Good Save The Queen and long live The Beatles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 10, 2011, 07:58 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,138 Posts
Peter Rose does indeed have an email address which is g4yqv@tiscali.co.uk

Peter gets (got) his Mills engines direct from Aurora and recently told me that he only has a single 1.3cc engine left. He did have some 0.75cc engines still in stock and possibly some spares, but unless someone else buys Aurora, that will be the last of these Indian engines.

They are probably the exact same engines that you can get in the States from Carlson Engine Imports if they have any left in stock. They are known as K-Mills.

http://carlsonengineimports.net/products/oldtimer.shtml
Last edited by DeeBee1; Apr 10, 2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 09:36 AM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,236 Posts
Thank you very much. I will contact Peter at once.