|Apr 04, 2011, 12:18 AM|
Starmax 63" P-51 "Gunfighter": Cowl & Engine Compartment.
I opened up the cowling and engine compartment to allow more air flow into the ESC/Battery bay for added ventilation for the electronics. I also added magnets to the cowl for ease of removal. Because I opened vent holes to the exhaust stacks I wanted to make sure I still got adequate air into the fuse, so I enlarged the hole leading into the battery bay. Along with the ramp, that shouldn't be a problem.
There seemed to be an issue concerning the firewall coming loose from the foam, so to safe guard that from becoming an issue on mine, I decided to reinforce the firewall.
First I wanted to grind a groove between the firewall and the surrounding foam to give additional material for the epoxy to adhere to. I used a Dremel stone like the one pictured below. Once I had the groove cut, I mixed up some 2-ton epoxy, added a little heat to make it more of a runny consistency, pored it in to the engine compartment along the edges where the grooves were cut, and then tilted the nose around so the epoxy would flow all the around the firewall. Once the epoxy dried, I went back in with the same stone and ground away any epoxy that would interfere with the motor mount.
The firewall is now securely in place!
ImagesView all Images in thread