HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: How well did you enjoy this thread?
Was it easy to understand and follow? 6 100.00%
How can I improve my build logs? 1 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 03, 2011, 09:53 PM
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,778 Posts
Build Log
Kawanishi H8K2 "Emily" Flying Boat

The Emily is a very large WWII Japanese amphibious aircraft. I have been lucky to have aquired the plans from a very good builder and flier. The RC builder, John Hawkins of Nova Scotia, Canada designed his plans in CAD and went the whole extra miles to get his plane in the air.. There is a very good build site that John has put up with some history of the plane and his personal build log with very good pictures. I would recommend a visit here to see his build log and the nicely finished plane. He shows an engine runup before his maiden flight. The videos are here with the maiden and subsequent flights also. Very nice. Stop by and kick your feet up and have a view.
Thanks John.
http://rcalbum.machawk.net/

With his generous offering I am now going to build one in a large size to also enjoy flying this classic hopefully later this year at best. If not, for sure in 2012. I am not making it as complex and crafty as Mr Hawkins has done with his scratch build Emily. I still will very much have a worthy flier though. I have come up with 6 foot long fuselage and an 8 foot wingspan. Not as large as John's plane but big enough. It will fit in my pickup truck bed and I can close the tailgate. The wings will plug in outside the 4 motors.

I have already started the plane and it is skinned with foam over the plywood formers. Pictures with explanations coming as I build. There will be slow times when I am out flying or other tasks with Spring weather coming. But I will get some building in.
**Neons** Bob

** Update! Addendum** Video Added on Page #7 - 6-8-2011 Motors and Controls Runnup
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=104
July 4, 2011 The plane is 99.7% done and just about any day now ready for pre-flight water taxi and any bug removal.

Final Update! August 12, 2011 The Emily Maiden Flight is Done. Page #12
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=170

October 22,2011 3rd Annual Nicolaci FloatFly Event. Emily was built for this meet.
10-22-2011 Best of Emily - Nicolaci EloatFly.mp4 (4 min 2 sec)

I think you may enjoy this one.

Here are all the pictures in this Build Log.
http://s1190.photobucket.com/albums/...20Build%20Log/

**Neons** Bob
**neons** is online now Find More Posts by **neons**
Last edited by **neons**; Jul 07, 2012 at 10:01 PM. Reason: *****Flight at the 2011 Nicolaci Floatfly Event***** Video Added
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2011, 10:25 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,778 Posts
Well first I had to get some supplies to get started. I made a trp to Home Depot and Lowes builders supply stores to find some foam for the hull skin. I was really dissapointed in the new 5/16 inch pink foam in Home Depot as it was changed over to a different formula than the original stuff I bought in the past 5 years. I bought the 24 sheets Z-Fold bundle back then and it was straight and smooth. The new foam is more flexible and very rough finished. The Blu-Cor at Lowes may have worked but is just to thin at 1/4 inches.

Last winter a storm left a piece of blue foam probably from a dock on the beach nearby. I salvaged it with all the barnacles and rounded over shape from beach wear. As you see I also found a smaller block and I squared them off and hot wired some foam planks and 3/8 inch sheathing for the Emily hull. The grade is acceptable for the hull skin as it will be glassed after it is put together and should be strong.
**Neons** Bob
Old Apr 03, 2011, 10:53 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,778 Posts
The Plans in High Resolution Are Here

John Hawkins CAD drawing is the first one. It can also be seen at his web pages above link. I will leave the plans as shown. Mr. John Hawkins has approved the uploading of his CAD Emily plans here in PDF format in my build thread with his graciousness and generosity to share. I hope you will realize they are available for personal use only. Do not commercialize them. Please respect his wishes.
**Neons** Bob
Last edited by **neons**; Apr 07, 2011 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Adding High Resolution Plans
Old Apr 03, 2011, 10:59 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,778 Posts
Actually Started Here April Fools Day

After 2 days of jig sawing and sanding I started the standing of the hull formers in place on March 29 and 30th. The pine plank is 9.5 inches by 6 feet long. CA'd them in place. One note here is that each former almost near the "V" there has to be notches to let water pass through the ribs so it is not trapped. These are known as "limber holes".
**Neons** Bob
Last edited by **neons**; Apr 03, 2011 at 11:18 PM.
Old Apr 03, 2011, 11:07 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,778 Posts
Here is April Fools day's work. The skin is glued in place with hot glue gun. Regular CA will attack most foam. It came out pretty firm. I think with some block sanding the epoxy and glass outer skin will be strong. Starting to get big. Very cavernous inside the hull. I made a cradle to hold her while I continue the work on the top sections.
**Neons** Bob
Old Apr 03, 2011, 11:15 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,778 Posts
The upper station formers are just tacked on top. It gives me a view to study. I think I will add a battery floor in the nose just forward of the cockpit before I set up the top deck sections. I have to cut a long strongback for the top of the formers. They will be jig sawed and fit before gluing in place. All my pushrods have to go in also before the skin. Wing plugin former has to be strengthened also. . I put in a long 1/8th inch brass tube with ply frames to keep it in place. This is for a rudder just past the second hull step below. Next pictures as I progress along.
**Neons** Bob
Last edited by **neons**; Apr 03, 2011 at 11:31 PM.
Old Apr 04, 2011, 07:23 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,900 Posts
Nice looking project, I scratch built the Short Sunderland at 90" span, (7' 6"), using Depron, the 'Emily' does look very similar.

I also used plug in wings outside of the motors.
One thing I tried, I put the aileron servos in the ends of the inner wing, with the ailerons and horns on the detachable outers. It means no servo leads to plug in, just hook up the push rods to the horns.

May/may not, be an advantage though.

Edit: - MA, Swansea ?, I live not far from Swansea........Wales, UK.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Last edited by eflightray; Apr 04, 2011 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Addition
Old Apr 04, 2011, 08:41 AM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,778 Posts
Hello Eflightray,
I have lightly gave thought about servos in the wing areas, I think I will still mount the aileron servos in the outer plugs. I am going to keep this aircraft simple as I can. I have not yet determined how I am going to place the wires until I get to that area. Also note that most of my building is done with make shift tools and an old kitchen table for a model bench to get the job done. My garage was not designed to be a modelors work area. An old car and motorcycles dominate the workspace. It is my Doghouse.

My town Swansea is about 55 miles south of Boston and 10 miles east of Providence, Rhode Island, It is like many colonial New England towns named after towns back in the old Great Britain days when the Pilgrim forefathers migrated to Massachusetts.
**Neons** Bob
Old Apr 04, 2011, 01:17 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,900 Posts
Your not alone with a 'marginal' workshop. Mine is a small box room, with a single bed tipped on its side and my building board laid on top, 72" x 20", luxury .

Here's a link to my build thread if it's of any use -

Sunderland Update. She flies. Now off water.

Keep on cutting and gluing
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Apr 04, 2011, 04:04 PM
I'm Hungarian in Essex. UK
Joined Sep 2008
411 Posts
Hey Bob! This is realy coool project!! I can't wait the next update!!! Lovely work shop btw!!!
shotibf109 is offline Find More Posts by shotibf109
Old Apr 04, 2011, 04:41 PM
Trapped in California
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Nov 2003
1,856 Posts
Nice ! :d
foamflyer is offline Find More Posts by foamflyer
Old Apr 04, 2011, 05:23 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,778 Posts
Eflightray: That is an impressive build you have there. I like your foam wing build also. The video was well done. That upper wing looks to be finished very well for Depron foam as seen in the video. I am going to read all your thread as soon as I can. Good ideas there. Boy, you do have a tight space to work. keep building big and you will just have it for storage.

Zsolti: We meet again. This is totally different than my Bf-109 build. Some similar ideas will be used. Like my beach found foam block and my portable hot wire cutter? Had a slow day today. Could not do much with other interferences. Glad you like my shop. It is tight but I am very fortunate to have one.

Foamflyer: Thanks!
**Neons** Bob
Old Apr 08, 2011, 06:44 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,778 Posts
I toyed around with the balance at the CG and found that with a long tail moment and a high turtle deck there would be much weight behind the CG. I made a deck for the battery all the way up in the nose area. nstalled a velcro strp too. There will be a cuttiut in the cockpit area to access the electronics and battery without always removing the planes wing.
Bob
Old Apr 08, 2011, 07:21 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,778 Posts
Spent this couple days getting in controls and trimmed the foam for planking more skin. Wing rear former angle tilted back and forward wing former gussets added also for more strength.
Bob
Last edited by **neons**; Apr 08, 2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old Apr 08, 2011, 07:36 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,778 Posts
Finished the skining today. Now I have the nose and tail blocks of foam to install. There is plenty of block sanding and spackle fill here and there to be done before I lay up the cloth and epoxy outer skin next. Weight is running around 2.5 lbs now.
**Neons** Bob