HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 03, 2011, 04:35 PM
Joined May 2005
767 Posts
Discussion
Herr Mini Sport Build

I have started on my next Herr kit and so far she is a fun easy build. I am making some modifications so it is a little stronger. I have the fuselage pretty much done in less than one day, not bad for using only white glue. I added balsa sheeting instead of weak 1/16 balsa stringers and added balsa block to the rear of the fuselage. To make the cowlings, I first sanded the formers down by 1/16 inch, then I made paper patterns for the balsa. After I cut the balsa, I sprayed it with Windex and taped into position. This morning I did some final trimming of the cows and glued in place with white glue. The wing will have to wait until I get my spruce in the mail. The original plans call for balsa spars and I am replacing those. Also I am sheeting the top forward position of the wing.
scigs30 is offline Find More Posts by scigs30
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2011, 04:45 PM
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,623 Posts
Hi,

You might also consider moving the landing gear from the wings to the fuse, or at least change the landing gear mounting method for the wings. It won't hold up as built stock.

Good Luck!

Mickydee
mickydee is online now Find More Posts by mickydee
Old Apr 05, 2011, 02:32 PM
South of Boston, Ma.
Joined Mar 2004
1,273 Posts
I made mine a belly-flopper.
Skyshark is offline Find More Posts by Skyshark
Old Apr 14, 2011, 04:46 PM
Joined May 2005
767 Posts
I must say this is a great kit for the price just needs a little work to beef it up. I decided not to add ailerons, but I did beef up the wing and landing gear and the wing will bolt on. My spruce came in for the spars so I was able to build the wing, man spruce is hard to find these days. My last Herr kit was the Piper Cub and I wish I would have sheeted the top of the wing instead of using stringers, I don't like the starved look. Also the balsa sheet does not add much weight. I am still waiting on the grooved wheel blocks, wheels and tail wheel assembly. Once those arrive I will begin covering and have her finished. So far the weight as shown is 2.4 oz. I really like these Herr kits and the next one will be the Herr Pitts. I will make those wings bolt on and will sheet the top front portion of the wing and rear fuselage. Also it will be electric. But before that I am working on my own design and will see how that goes.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 07:42 PM
South of Boston, Ma.
Joined Mar 2004
1,273 Posts
You may want to consider making the rudder larger if you don't want to add ailerons.
Even with a larger rudder I found mine impossible to control. I added ailerons as a last resort and it turned into the most wonderful flyer!
I know what you're saying about beefing it up. I came down hard on a landing and totaled the fuse. The wing was still good so over the winter I built a new fuse, (keep the plans). Just finished it so the next decent day it maidens.
Skyshark is offline Find More Posts by Skyshark
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:45 AM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,316 Posts
Nice Mini Sport,

Where did you find spruce? Ive been searching too and nobody seems to have any.

I have a Herr Pitts in the build pile too. I know there are a few build threads to reference off of in terms of converting it over to E power.

Keep up the great work on the Mini Sport.

Dan
Carnifax is offline Find More Posts by Carnifax
Old Apr 15, 2011, 02:18 PM
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,327 Posts
Nice work. I made mine without ailerons and powered it using an hxt 24gram 1700kv outrunner. With no warps in the wing and the right motor angle, this thing is a real performer. I see that Tom Herr now makes planes for Alien aircraft. More choices!

Dan
danrc is offline Find More Posts by danrc
Old Apr 25, 2011, 02:15 AM
Joined May 2005
767 Posts
I started covering my Mini Sport tonight and decided to go with Aluminium. I first tried Coverite Microlite film and ended up ripping it off. The stuff is real light and I could see right through the Silver, not what I want from an RC build. So I went back to my old trusty Monokote. I have the fuselage done but will probably tear the detail off the cockpit and apply a strip of black Monokote.
If I have time tomorrow, I will finish the rest of the structure.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 03:06 PM
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,623 Posts
Hi,

Careful with Monocoat on the wings, they are a pretty light structure and you might get stuck with a Ptetzel.

Mickydee
mickydee is online now Find More Posts by mickydee
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:03 AM
Joined May 2005
767 Posts
I beefed up the wing so there were no issues when covering with Monokote.
I am almost done with this build, so far as shown she weighs 5 oz, not bad for the mods I did. Still have not decided what I am going to do with the cockpit area, the windshield that came with the kit is too thin and flimsy.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 08:48 AM
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,327 Posts
Looks great! Have fun with this plane. It is a real performer. I can fly mine in some pretty stiff winds with no issues. The large Rudder really gives you a lot of aerobatic options usually reserved for aileron planes
danrc is offline Find More Posts by danrc
Old Jul 21, 2011, 03:14 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
2,535 Posts
Just chiming in as I have recently picked up a Mini-Sport kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyshark View Post
You may want to consider making the rudder larger if you don't want to add ailerons.
Even with a larger rudder I found mine impossible to control. I added ailerons as a last resort and it turned into the most wonderful flyer!
I built a low wing 3ch (RET) foamie awhile back. It's loosely based on Randy Randolph's Beetween. Seems the general consensus is you need LOTS of dihedral to make these planes fly... usually around 9deg per side. Perhaps the Mini-sport lacks enough dihedral (roll coupling?) to turn properly.

My foam version flew fairly well (see photos below), very responsive to rudder inputs. I used the recommended 9 deg dihedral. It may not look like it in the photo, but the wingtips are 3" higher than the root! BTW, the size and AUW is very similar to the Mini-Sport.

Anyway, I'm turning my Mini-sport into a full house plane... ailerons with dual servo's (one per side).

I am interested to see how yours flies scigs30!
philipa_240sx is offline Find More Posts by philipa_240sx
Old Aug 03, 2011, 12:31 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
2,535 Posts
Well, my Mini Sport build has begun. I really enjoy the tab/slot design of the fuse. Makes for quick assembly.

I would really like to see how other have done their landing gear... I like the stock wing mounted gear, but durability is a question.

I have a couple of mods planned...

- Rounded wing tips similar to Pat Tritle's Hybrid Spacewalker
- Battery hatch just in front of the wing.
- And ailerons!
philipa_240sx is offline Find More Posts by philipa_240sx
Old Aug 03, 2011, 12:49 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,462 Posts
I have had the pleasure of flying one left over prototype mini-Sport from Tom Herr's test pilot Mark S. that lives in Titusville, Florida.

I am sure your model will fly well and with the flight characteristics that you are expecting? However, Tom and Mark worked on this airframe and came up with the plans and parts to allow for a light and nimble airframe yet relatively strong. Yes, strong as I can attest that my mini-Sport crashed into a Sub Development Banner Flag when taking off from the road and it went right into a heavy and flapping Flag at full throttle and minimal damage occurred and built up per the plans.

Once you modify the model to add this and that and use a heavier covering, you will not experience the majestic manners that this model was intended but, hey what the heck do I know?

Here is my thread from years ago:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150944
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 03, 2011, 01:44 PM
United States, FL, Titusville
Joined Jan 2001
498 Posts
This post is to inform of my testing almost 10yrs ago,NOT to offend the current builders.

Tom Herr and myself flew the mini-sport off an open basketball court with a SP280 driect drive brushed motor on 7cell 350 nicad pack. For the setup,it was a great flier,not 3D,aerobatic or anything like that. The plane was purpose built,still I listened to plenty of calls from those who decided to "modify" it to "improve" it with negative results. Then they would demand another kit because theirs was "defective". I saw ones that were returned,epoxy,1/4"ply,SP480 brushed motor in the front.....proving some people should ONLY buy ARFs,never build.

Tom dared me to try to snap the wings in flight. We didn't do it,but with the normal setup and throws,it was moderately aerobatic(remember,its not a cap200) and handled 10mph winds just fine. We even flew with the wing on backward(another dare,so I had to try it this time). With some shimming it flew ok,just a little pitch sensitive.

He was never worried about me destroying a prototype.....he would comment,"I own the factory...we will just cut more!"

Carlos got the #2 prototype which Tom built himself,the first one is still in his collection.
Marked is offline Find More Posts by Marked