HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 03, 2011, 05:23 PM
Ikaruswannab
Joined Sep 2009
978 Posts
Discussion
Opinions on 2.4GHz Antenna

Hi,
Can i use this to extend my RC range of a Corona DSSS module?
Anyone ever used one?
Teo
teopbako is offline Find More Posts by teopbako
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2011, 06:36 PM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teopbako View Post
Hi,
Can i use this to extend my RC range of a Corona DSSS module?
Anyone ever used one?
Teo
Teo,

Yes and no. Gain with an antenna always means directivity. The antenna is omnidirectional, but the gain can then only come from a more flat (in the z axis) radiation pattern. Normally a regular omni directional antenna has a radiation scheme that resembles an apple sitting in front of you on a table.

With this antenna you can think of that apple being flatened more and more. In the end it looks more like a disc. So, you gain range in the horizontal direction but if you fly high or above yourself, you loose range.

HTH

Markus
markus123456 is online now Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Apr 04, 2011, 02:29 AM
Ikaruswannab
Joined Sep 2009
978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
Teo,
With this antenna you can think of that apple being flatened more and more. In the end it looks more like a disc. So, you gain range in the horizontal direction but if you fly high or above yourself, you loose range.

HTH

Markus
Hi Markus,
Your example with the apple made your point clear.
So what do you suggest?
A patch maybe?
All antennas are suitable for both ends (Tx/Rx)?
Thank you
Teo
teopbako is offline Find More Posts by teopbako
Old Apr 04, 2011, 03:41 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teopbako View Post
Hi Markus,
Your example with the apple made your point clear.
So what do you suggest?
A patch maybe?
All antennas are suitable for both ends (Tx/Rx)?
Thank you
Teo
I do not really suggest something else. You must know that antenna gain always comes with this limitation. It thus depends on how you intend to fly. A patch has to be adjusted to point to the plane. So does any directional antenna. The one you refer to is ok if you fly around yourself and fly higher the farther out you are (thus staying within the pattern) and only low near you.

The "final" solution is to buy a long range system. Wether you like it or not but that's the only safe way to fly far out. So think twice if it makes sense for you to invest in your regular RC system or if you are not better off buying a LRS.

Markus
markus123456 is online now Find More Posts by markus123456