HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 03, 2011, 01:00 PM
Joined Apr 2011
6 Posts
Discussion
Super Cub LP Rookie: motor burnt ?

Hello everyone;
New to the hobby (week #1)! ... I found a great club to fly with , but I have my first issue which seems really simple to fix, but I just have to be sure...
and I apologize in advance if this is all ready posted, but I searched and found nothing...

I took off and flew great my first day with with Super Cub LP... some of the guys landed it for me a few times, then I tried to land myself and crashed with no issues except the last time, when I panicked and FORGOT to turn off the throttle after crashing.. by the time I got to the plane and turned off throttle, the motor was just on by itself with no input (throttle at zero)

The guys said most likely just need a new motor... but before I order it online, any suggestions on how to be sure it's just the motor that got burnt out (yes there was a very very bad burnt smell) , and that will get me up flying again?

Thanks in advance
=Ron
fiddlefly is offline Find More Posts by fiddlefly
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2011, 01:07 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,195 Posts
You may have fried the ESC as well... you'd better check that.
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Apr 03, 2011, 01:08 PM
Joined Apr 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kiwi View Post
Hi Dr Kiwi... thank you for reply.. I looked up and see ESC is the receiver... how does one tell if this is the issue and/or the motor?
Thanks again.
Old Apr 03, 2011, 01:52 PM
Houston
Joined Oct 2006
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kiwi View Post
How does one go about doing that?
Tail Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Tail Wheel
Old Apr 03, 2011, 01:57 PM
Joined Apr 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tail Wheel View Post
How does one go about doing that?
Well, this may be a rookie oversight, but I just plugged in the battery and as was after the crash, the motor just revs on its own with no throttle input, however the Left Right, Up and Down DO work with the receiver... I assume this means receiver is ok?
Old Apr 03, 2011, 04:55 PM
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,285 Posts
It's a BRUSHED motor, from the sound of it, you burnt up the ESC (Electronic speed controller) Is this the 27mhz version (big long antenna on the transmitter) or the 2.4ghz version (short black antenna on transmitter)

If it's the 27mhz version, then it's time to decide if you like this hobby or want to stop because you've reached the turning point:

Stop flying
or
Replace the electronics with good stuff and regret it 3 years later when you realize this hobby has taken over every aspect of your life.
creapyd is offline Find More Posts by creapyd
Old Apr 03, 2011, 06:52 PM
Joined Apr 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by creapyd View Post
It's a BRUSHED motor, from the sound of it, you burnt up the ESC (Electronic speed controller) Is this the 27mhz version (big long antenna on the transmitter) or the 2.4ghz version (short black antenna on transmitter)

If it's the 27mhz version, then it's time to decide if you like this hobby or want to stop because you've reached the turning point:

Stop flying
or
Replace the electronics with good stuff and regret it 3 years later when you realize this hobby has taken over every aspect of your life.
I love this hobby!
So now that that's the case, and yes it is the 27mhz version... what am I to do?
Replace Motor and ESC ?
Old Apr 03, 2011, 08:00 PM
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,285 Posts
If you want in, really in, then it's time to throw away the toy 27mhz stuff and buy real hobby quality equipment.

You'll have to replace everything in the plane and replace your transmitter.

You have a hard choice to make: what brand TX your going to use and what frequency.

The choices are:
Spektrum (What I use)
Futaba
Multiplex
Hitec
etc.....

And frquency, 27mhz is actually classified as a Toy to the FCC, RC airplanes have 72mhz offically, and 2.4ghz which is an open spectrum. Almost all modern transmitters are 2.4ghz for various reasons i'm not going to go into.

The problem with 2.4ghz is that each brand of transmitter uses it's own proprietary receiver. so if you buy spektrum, you have to by spektrum receivers, if you buy futaba, you have to buy futaba receivers, etc...

Anyway, that's just the radio. you'll also have to replace the servos, and the speed controller.

With the speed controller you can go two ways:
1) buy a brushed speed controller (ESC) (you'll want 18 amp with lipo capability) and use the existing motor/prop/gearbox.

2) throw away the brushed motor and buy a brushless motor, brushless speed controller (ESC) and new props.

Why would you choose option 2) Well, brushless motors are WAY more efficant than brushed and they don't wear out.

Why wouldn't you choose option 2) Well, your a noob, and noobs crash a lot, and the replacement motor /gearbox combo for the super cub is pritty cheap. And if you go the brushless route, chances are you'll go with an outrunner, which when you crash, will bend and the whole motor will have to be replaced.

That should get you started on your search, but you have a lot of research to do. I'll be here to answer any questions, but I won't hand you a completion guild as learning is 80% of this hobby.
creapyd is offline Find More Posts by creapyd
Old Apr 03, 2011, 08:05 PM
cjg
"Pull up, pull up!"
Vermillion, SD
Joined Jan 2006
453 Posts
It sounds the like the esc in the combo receiver/esc is fried. Motor is probably good since it is running :-)

The immediate and cheapest fix is to simply buy a replacement combo receiver/esc from the SC parts list. I did this on my SC when it had a ESC problem.

Make sure you get the proper channel to match your transmitter. The channel is on the bottom of the plane (1-6).

You can replace all the electronics (and servos since they aren't standard), which might be a good move in the long run...but after I moved up to a T-28 I haven't flown my SC since, and so don't plan to invest in upgrading it. If you change electroncis, you would also lose the drop module capability, which actually is kind of fun, especially if you have kids to chase the parachutes and streamers.
cjg is offline Find More Posts by cjg
Old Apr 03, 2011, 09:44 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,055 Posts
The motor is robust and actually hard to destroy without direct crash damage. If it runs it likely OK. Since it runs without proper input > your RX/ESC is shot.

Now.....the ESC/RX combo is a fragile POS that burns out IMMEDIATELY doing what you did. Almost everyone does it at least once and, like you, wonders what the hell they did. The throttle must be chopped INSTANTLY when the prop is stopped or you get a direct short across the motor > massive amp draw > burned ESC. This can happen with any electric system. Consider it a lesson learned.

The suggestions about upgrading are based on a simple premise; the Cub electronics are functional...mostly, sorta. They are a major source of frustration and ultimately upgrading. The Parkzone proprietary trap gets old very fast.
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Apr 03, 2011, 10:04 PM
Joined Apr 2011
6 Posts
Wow!

thank you to ALL for your replies!

Sounds like the ESC replacement with some real equipment is the way to go, but I only have one (noob) question.. if the ESC Is shot, how come it still reacts fine to up/down left right actions from Controller? ... I know dumb question... but just remember when you were a noob!

Thank you again, and the research has started all ready.
Old Apr 03, 2011, 10:10 PM
Joined Apr 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by creapyd View Post
If you want in, really in, then it's time to
That should get you started on your search, but you have a lot of research to do. I'll be here to answer any questions, but I won't hand you a completion guild as learning is 80% of this hobby.
I actually really appreciate this part of this family/community that is flyers... everyone at the club has been helpful to a point, but I understand the idea of "teach a man to fish"... so you have been VERY helpful, especially in your detailed explanations, which I need and like... thank you for the guidance.
Old Apr 03, 2011, 10:30 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
4,982 Posts
fiddlefly,
There is a huge thread on the Super Cub and it has lots of info about how to change your electronics. I own two Super Cubs LP versions that had the 2.4 electronics. As others have said, the rec and esc part are all in one and not great. I have bought two rec/esc combinations, so I changed mine over.
There is tons of info and everyone will help guide you, but you got to do the research and then figure out what you want to do.
I love my Super Cubs.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Maiden Flight today.
Old Apr 03, 2011, 10:48 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,055 Posts
The actual ESC is the part that controls the throttle > electronic SPEED CONTROL, get it?
This part burned out. No more control of the motor.

Another portion, called the BEC (battery eliminator circuit) takes the high voltage of the battery and lowers it to the 5V that the servos and RX need.
This part sounds like it is still functional.
This portion also functions to cut throttle if the voltage gets too low to maintain servo and control function via the LVC=low voltage cut-off.
BEC and LVC ARE functions that you will want to learn about and pay attention to as you get experience. Everyone is all hot on planes, motors, and lipos, but these are important components and will bite you if you ignore their value.

These 2 components parts are on the same board but literally different functions, so you can burn out one, but not the other.

Since you are new and need to learn this, better sooner than later. It is good lipo practice to NOT fly to LVC. LVC is not equal in ESC. Some are good, some are OK, some are lousy, some are downright terrible and this includes some known brand names. The Cub is kinda low-OK and hard on the lipos.

The RX is built-in so you HAVE to but the PZ product, nothing else will work. A rotten deal in my book. 'Normal' planes have the RX as a separate unit.
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Last edited by flydiver; Apr 03, 2011 at 10:57 PM.