HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 05, 2011, 03:34 PM
Aerodynamically challenged
3D World, Florida
Joined May 2005
3,184 Posts
You've never had my friend Blake fly one of your planes He'll find the weak spot in very short order. Not that he tries to purposely hurt a plane in the air, but if it's not Blakeproofed then you'll be doing some repairs later. Trust me, I know! He's also a NATS pattern champ and he prefers a superior hinge line arrangement and CA hinges are a distant second when providing a solid hinge line that has very mimimal friction. Been modeling for 43 years and I've had some CA hinges fail pulling all the balsa with it and have seen several other CA hinge failures before. Once I switched to pin hinges= problem solved. I even use pin hinges on our pattern foamies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsQ5hE9B-TY

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcronkhite View Post
The CA hinges work fine. Not sure why you'd want to change to something else honestly. In my 35 years of flying R/C I've never had a CA hinge come loose.
3Deranged is offline Find More Posts by 3Deranged
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2011, 05:17 PM
Advocating for RC Aviation
USA, NJ, Phillipsburg
Joined Jul 2010
1,390 Posts
Check also the anti-rotation pins on the stabs. I lost one of these after a few flights when one of those broke loose and the stab rotated. This happened under one mistake high and resulted in an uncontrolled dive for the corn. I have since sold the remains and am now happy with my Osiris. Good flying! Dana
danamania is offline Find More Posts by danamania
Old Apr 05, 2011, 06:48 PM
Team JR
San Diego
Joined Feb 2002
1,730 Posts
A CA hinge pulling all the balsa with it is not a failure of the hinge but a failure of the balsa. No other type of hinge would have acted any differently unless you pinned through it with a toothpick or something.
Doug Cronkhite is offline Find More Posts by Doug Cronkhite
Old Apr 05, 2011, 08:56 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,504 Posts
Pin hinges are nice and with the jig they sell, a breeze to install (except the glue, you have to be careful and lube the joint) but I also find CA hinges to work as well as necessary, I've had none pull out...

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Apr 05, 2011, 09:43 PM
3D World, Florida
Joined May 2005
3,184 Posts
I don't usually use the flat pin hinges unless it's a 40%er. I prefer the round pin hinges. They usually penetrate through to the inside of the wing. I use Sumo glue and it makes a mushroom head as it expands in the open. Not going to get pulled out. My CA hinge failures always pulled a plug of balsa out with it but didn't penetrate the other side. Never had a pin hinge fail yet. But you gotta use what works for you. I like to make my planes as smooth as possible. That way I can't blame the plane, just my crappy flying! LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcronkhite View Post
A CA hinge pulling all the balsa with it is not a failure of the hinge but a failure of the balsa. No other type of hinge would have acted any differently unless you pinned through it with a toothpick or something.
Old Apr 09, 2011, 10:49 AM
United States, MI, Saginaw Charter Township
Joined Feb 2007
113 Posts
Just a couple of observations so far. The kit seems nicely built. Only had a couple of wrinkles in the covering. The wheels were not even close to being round might see what else I can use. We fly off grass and it's usually pretty rough on wheel pants. Have found some of the hardware to be bad. Some of the screws were not machined correctly, so I've had to replace some.
RCBRUSKI65 is offline Find More Posts by RCBRUSKI65
Old Apr 09, 2011, 02:25 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,504 Posts
Don't believe the "full size" servo note for the wings, my 821's didn't fit, you'll need shallow servos like the 9411's (price difference is a big one too if want to keep it lower cost)...

Jack
Old Apr 09, 2011, 03:24 PM
Team JR
San Diego
Joined Feb 2002
1,730 Posts
Put another 5 flights on the Wind this morning with the following changes:
Added in 1 degree of down thrust
Moved the rudder servo to the tail

Big change in the overall feel. Uplines are dead straight now. Rudder feels more locked in as well. Still not happy with the yaw tracking though. I think the landing gear attachments are too flexible or are moving around in flight. Going to take them off for the next few flights and see if it helps.

The airplane is definitely getting better though with each change..
Old Apr 09, 2011, 07:25 PM
Advocating for RC Aviation
USA, NJ, Phillipsburg
Joined Jul 2010
1,390 Posts
When I had my Wind-S 50E, I put a bead of silicon between the LG attachments and the fuse which did the trick. What I wish I had done was add CA or some other glue to the anit-rotation pins on the stabs. One failed and the Wind went down into the corn. Good idea to check these carefully so that one or both stab does not accidentally rotate out of position in-flight. Good Flying! Dana
danamania is offline Find More Posts by danamania
Old Apr 09, 2011, 11:48 PM
3D World, Florida
Joined May 2005
3,184 Posts
I'm installing these aluminum hubbed wheels :

http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-29.html

Very light and stiff with multiple hub adaptors. They work great on jets, pattern and 3D planes.

[QUOTE=RCBRUSKI65;17923510] The wheels were not even close to being round might see what else I can use. We fly off grass and it's usually pretty rough on wheel pants.
Last edited by 3Deranged; Apr 10, 2011 at 04:05 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 12:04 PM
Team JR
San Diego
Joined Feb 2002
1,730 Posts
Switched my canopy attachment over to rare-earth magnets yesterday. No more screws there. Now if I could just find a metric thumbscrew for the wings, I could make this a no-tools airplane!
Old Apr 12, 2011, 10:20 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,504 Posts
Got my first few flights on the WindS @ SEFF today, what a sweet flying plane this one is!

Jack
Old Apr 12, 2011, 11:08 PM
3D World, Florida
Joined May 2005
3,184 Posts
Nice-wish I was there this year. On the plus side looks like I'll be going next year with a few new designs SEFF pics please! By the way, if you're ever in O-town-stop by Graves RC Hobbies if you haven't been there already. If I'm not working in the airplane section I'll be in helis.