SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 26, 2011, 08:27 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,445 Posts
The coaxial cable can be any length you want. It's fairly easy to build a turnstile and they work great.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2011, 07:19 PM
Joined Jun 2010
428 Posts
What is best AWG wire to build turnstile antenna ?
It can be silicone wire ?
marcin.gala is offline Find More Posts by marcin.gala
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:51 PM
Post # 20 million
Joined Aug 2009
2,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcin.gala View Post
What is best AWG wire to build turnstile antenna ?
It can be silicone wire ?
18-22 AWG, i've used the silicone wire from HobbyKing without any problems.

Cheers, Kev.
Kev.au is offline Find More Posts by Kev.au
Old Oct 13, 2011, 04:18 AM
near Stgt/Germany
Joined Feb 2003
1,147 Posts
Could I use this antenna type for my 2.4GHz VTx ?
mr..speed is offline Find More Posts by mr..speed
Old Oct 13, 2011, 09:08 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,445 Posts
I'm still developing the 2.4GHz version. Currently looking at 9.5dbic gain for it.

-Alex
Old Nov 09, 2011, 08:31 AM
Team Basement RC
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jul 2004
430 Posts
Hi Alex. I love the antenna tutorials you have here, and I thank you for what you and others have taught me here.

I have already built a few of your antennas for my FPV systems and I love how much they have improved my video quality and range.

My question:

I have a 900mhz Video system, and have built Inverted Vee for my VTX and have been using HugeOnes Virvent for my VRX. I also jsut completed building Huge ones Turbine for my VRX, which I will try this weekend.

So: Can I use this turnstile for my VTX? It would have to be 910 Mhz.

I am curious about the math for this design, I cant figure how you got 6.75" and 5.85" for you 433Mhz system. The math is not that obvious. Is it that complicated? If it is, can you give me the numbers for a 910 system?(assuming it is worth doing?)

I plan on using 0.85mm wire, if that helps.

Cheers,
Max
max1 is offline Find More Posts by max1
Old Nov 09, 2011, 10:16 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,445 Posts
No. The circularity shifts across the Z-axis. Hugo and I are using it as part of an experimental antenna: the Crosshair.

Tutorial coming soon

-Alex
Old Feb 18, 2012, 09:00 AM
Michael W.
United States, TN, Cleveland
Joined Nov 2011
129 Posts
Alex, I have an EZuhf system with diversity...would there be any benefit to using diversity if I am usingthis type of antenna? If yes, then should I keep a sanders style on the plane as well (Skywalker) in a different position? Or should I stick with the bunny ear set up I currently have? thanks ahead of time, and by the way, Our church in TN is considering a mens interest group to teach RC flying, as well as possibly helping point them toward FPV!
wootenelli is offline Find More Posts by wootenelli
Old Feb 20, 2012, 09:07 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,445 Posts
Yes there is a benefit. Use the turnstile laid flat and the Sander style upright. You now have no way to lose polarization

_Alex
Old Feb 20, 2012, 03:27 PM
Michael W.
United States, TN, Cleveland
Joined Nov 2011
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
Yes there is a benefit. Use the turnstile laid flat and the Sander style upright. You now have no way to lose polarization

_Alex
nice! I will give that a shot. thanks Alex, hope all is going well for you
wootenelli is offline Find More Posts by wootenelli
Old Feb 21, 2012, 06:28 AM
Honey Badger
United States, FL
Joined Oct 2005
1,814 Posts
Assuming this antenna is the only one being used for 433 control - does anyone have any kind of testing on it at range?

I'm curious as to why most antennas need to be mounted vertically to maintain polarization - yet this one can be laid flat...
Blue Chip is offline Find More Posts by Blue Chip
Old Feb 21, 2012, 06:39 AM
Post # 20 million
Joined Aug 2009
2,636 Posts
This out performed my stock DragonLink antenna during ground tests, i haven't tested it with ezUHF, but i will soon as i have a turnstile embedded into my ZII's right wing.

I have flown 3km above myself with zero problems and over 5km away.
Kev.au is offline Find More Posts by Kev.au
Old Feb 25, 2012, 11:44 AM
Joined Apr 2011
3 Posts
I must have done something really wrong because my turnstile antenna performed just a bit better than the tiny stock OpenLRS antenna. Had a Nagoya NA-711 on my TX. Used 20 AWG wire.

OpenLRS is two-way and I use this feature for telemetry. Mostly for getting alerts when packages fail to send/receive. Maybe stupid question but in combination with the two-way telemetry and the turnstile antenna - could that be causing the bad range?
flow303 is offline Find More Posts by flow303
Old Feb 25, 2012, 07:19 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,445 Posts
If you used a known good antenna and your range was bad, and then built a turnstile and the range didn't improve much, I would say the problem isn't the antenna. It could be noise floor, or perhaps the TX isn't putting out as much power as it is supposed to.

-Alex
Old Feb 25, 2012, 07:22 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Chip View Post
Assuming this antenna is the only one being used for 433 control - does anyone have any kind of testing on it at range?

I'm curious as to why most antennas need to be mounted vertically to maintain polarization - yet this one can be laid flat...
The beauty of dual polarization my friend You need to put your tX antenna flat and pointed out to the side (thus matching polarization and also giving full strength where you need it). The turnstile has no nulls and is polarized on 2 axes. Waves propagate with less loss when horizontally polarized rather than vertical. Thus you lay the turnstile flat and you have your TX antenna flat as well.

-Alex