HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:08 AM
Latvija
Joined Nov 2010
106 Posts
Thank you Markus for illustrative guide.

I talking to some people, they also recommended to the cut PPM. PPM and +V placed on through the switch. In PPM also have power, and parallel module may result in interference.
As I thought, about the scheme drew.

My version is oki?
janissav is offline Find More Posts by janissav
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:51 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,853 Posts
I don't have the pin layout at hands right now as I'm at work, hence can't justify if the layout is ok with regard to the PCB connections. You of course also can switch the PPM train, but it would be easy enough to check if your UHF system can cope with an unswitched PPM signal. If it works, it works most likely stable, but there is nothing wrong with using a paralell switch and also switch the PPM.

My aproach would have had the beatuy that all modifications are made within the original HF module while still leaving it functional. Alas one would not even have to open up the transmitter....

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:36 AM
Foam Snow
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Aug 2011
1,334 Posts
Hi Markus,

I thought I'd wire my RangeLink's cable straight to the header on the Turnigy module, however I'm not sure how to match the pins.

On the RL I have:

GND
PPM
V+
GND

On the JR port of the 9X I have:

PPM
+6V
+BAT
GND
ANT

Can you help me matching the pins without releasing magic smoke?

Thanks

EDIT: After some googling it looks like the second pin on the 9X is just another GND, not 6V like JR.
heinduplessis is offline Find More Posts by heinduplessis
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:17 AM
Joined Aug 2006
2,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinduplessis View Post
Hi Markus,

I thought I'd wire my RangeLink's cable straight to the header on the Turnigy module, however I'm not sure how to match the pins.

On the RL I have:

GND
PPM
V+
GND

On the JR port of the 9X I have:

PPM
+6V
+BAT
GND
ANT

Can you help me matching the pins without releasing magic smoke?

Thanks

EDIT: After some googling it looks like the second pin on the 9X is just another GND, not 6V like JR.
Ignore what you labled as 6V as well as ANT. Connect the +BAT to the V+ on the range link. GND is obvious, so is PPM and you are done.

To be on the very safe side, use a multi meter to verify BAT and GND. PPM is not critical as long as the level you measure does not go about ~5V. You won't be able to measure anything near 5V of course if you measure it with the DC volt meter. In fact it should be a relatively low value, but more than GND. What you think is "BAT" should measure close to the battery voltage with a slight drop 1v.

The two GND connections of RangeLink should be connected to the same "GND" (as there is only one) on the tx side of things. The two GND wires seem to help "shielding" the PPM signal a bit.

HTH

Markus
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:54 PM
Foam Snow
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Aug 2011
1,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
Ignore what you labled as 6V as well as ANT. Connect the +BAT to the V+ on the range link. GND is obvious, so is PPM and you are done.

To be on the very safe side, use a multi meter to verify BAT and GND. PPM is not critical as long as the level you measure does not go about ~5V. You won't be able to measure anything near 5V of course if you measure it with the DC volt meter. In fact it should be a relatively low value, but more than GND. What you think is "BAT" should measure close to the battery voltage with a slight drop 1v.

The two GND connections of RangeLink should be connected to the same "GND" (as there is only one) on the tx side of things. The two GND wires seem to help "shielding" the PPM signal a bit.

HTH

Markus
Thank you SO much, I came to the same conclusion, but my theory sometimes do not agree with practice I got 11.something v on the BAT pin and only when the Tx is switched on, which is great news too.
heinduplessis is offline Find More Posts by heinduplessis
Last edited by heinduplessis; Oct 31, 2012 at 03:40 AM. Reason: Added some pics
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:19 AM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined Jan 2004
998 Posts
As I look at the above pic, it appears it is wired
PPM
GND
V+
GND
(5th pin not used)

Why does the second ground go to the +6v pin? What really is that pin?

Also, if you want to wire an external 3S battery, which wires do you spice into? Red obviously, but which ground? Pin 2 or pin 4?
eroeder is offline Find More Posts by eroeder
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:12 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eroeder View Post
As I look at the above pic, it appears it is wired
PPM
GND
V+
GND
(5th pin not used)

Why does the second ground go to the +6v pin? What really is that pin?

Also, if you want to wire an external 3S battery, which wires do you spice into? Red obviously, but which ground? Pin 2 or pin 4?
Pins 2 and 4 are a common ground so it doesn't matter which one you use.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:46 PM
Joined Jan 2004
998 Posts
Thanks!

How do I wire in an external Battery?

Do I really need an external batt? I have the recommended LIPO 2620mah batt in the 9X, how long will that work with the RANGELINK do you think?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:46 AM
Joined Aug 2006
2,853 Posts
Quote:
Thanks!

Do I really need an external batt? I have the recommended LIPO 2620mah batt in the 9X, how long will that work with the RANGELINK do you think?
Nope, with this battery you definately don't need an external one. The battery will easily last for several hours of operation.

Markus
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:48 AM
Joined Jan 2004
998 Posts
Excellent! Didn't really want to hassle with an external batt.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:02 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,489 Posts
Quote:
Thanks!

Ha....I use an 1800mAh LiFe battery in my 9X with DragonLink UHF and probably charge once a month or so. Of course, the more you fly the sooner you'd have to recharge...but you'll have PLENTY of flying time.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:11 AM
Joined Aug 2006
2,853 Posts
Quote:
Thanks!

While we agree you don't need it, just to answer the question anyways.

You connect the external Batteries - pole to GND, you would NOT connect the BAT pole coming out of the 9x and would use the batteries + pole instead.

As simple as that.

HTH

Markus
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:00 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jul 2012
9 Posts
Thanks for the guide markus123456, I performed JR surgery today. Works great!
gaahrdner is offline Find More Posts by gaahrdner
Old Apr 03, 2013, 01:24 PM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Oct 2011
44 Posts
Alright I did not fix my problem.

Can anyone help?

To recap the issue is.

I run this on my Turnigy 9x or my Dx6i and I get short periods of no signal.
The system will switch to fail safes for a second or two, then go back to normal. I get good range out of it otherwise but I can't figure out what is going wrong!

I have smashed a helicopter twice now and have lost confidence in my Dragonlink to the point where I just wont use it.

My current setup and still faulty is.

Turnigy 9x with lipo + Dragon link Running off its own 3s lipo.

In the plane I have the original ant and the Version B 12ch Rx running off the Turnigy 40 amp Plush ESC. I can be about 12m away and all of a sudden it will trip out for a second and then back.

As far as I can tell this has happened from the day I got the setup. I just have not had the time to trouble shoot this.

I contacted the Dragon link guys and got no reply what so ever so I'm really not sure where to go with this other then having waisted my money.
sarky1 is offline Find More Posts by sarky1
Old Apr 03, 2013, 02:51 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarky1 View Post
Alright I did not fix my problem.

Can anyone help?

To recap the issue is.

I run this on my Turnigy 9x or my Dx6i and I get short periods of no signal.
The system will switch to fail safes for a second or two, then go back to normal. I get good range out of it otherwise but I can't figure out what is going wrong!

I have smashed a helicopter twice now and have lost confidence in my Dragonlink to the point where I just wont use it.

My current setup and still faulty is.

Turnigy 9x with lipo + Dragon link Running off its own 3s lipo.

In the plane I have the original ant and the Version B 12ch Rx running off the Turnigy 40 amp Plush ESC. I can be about 12m away and all of a sudden it will trip out for a second and then back.

As far as I can tell this has happened from the day I got the setup. I just have not had the time to trouble shoot this.

I contacted the Dragon link guys and got no reply what so ever so I'm really not sure where to go with this other then having waisted my money.
I am troubleshooting an issue with my DL on my FPV FLIP quadcopter. I get random failsafes for a split second and in my OSD I can see the RSSI drop to 0% at those times. It is hard to know what the issue really is but the best way to approach the problem is go back to basics.

I would remove the DL Rx from your helicopter and get an alternate 5V source like an Rx nicad pack (fully charged) and a single servo and follow the instructions for the range test in the DL manual. At least you will know if its related to being in or close to something on the heli.

I also recall seeing a thread about getting DL to work with Er9x. Something about the PPM pulse signal and settings. I copied these settings and get all my PPM channels to go through, but maybe something in the pulse settings is causing the DL Rx to think it has no signal and go into FS?

Edit: Found it: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=16504
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Last edited by cactus; Apr 03, 2013 at 03:05 PM.