HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2011, 12:39 PM
FPV-ophile
United States, TN, Greeneville
Joined Oct 2010
372 Posts
Since the Turnigy 9x has been out of stock FOREVER I am planning on ordering a Eurgle 9x from R2hobbies.com

http://www.r2hobbies.com/eng/proddet...ps2805003_mode

Would this mod work for the Eurgle also? It had the extra FM antenna so I wasn't sure if everything would work the same.

Thanks in advance!
Kahuna717 is offline Find More Posts by Kahuna717
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2011, 02:18 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna717 View Post
Since the Turnigy 9x has been out of stock FOREVER I am planning on ordering a Eurgle 9x from R2hobbies.com

http://www.r2hobbies.com/eng/proddet...ps2805003_mode

Would this mod work for the Eurgle also? It had the extra FM antenna so I wasn't sure if everything would work the same.

Thanks in advance!
I bought a FlySky 9x from PlaneInsaneRC.com based out of Utah. It ran just over $100 shipped. Ryan does provide a 10 day return period if there's problems with the unit. Hi even tested mine before shipping to verify all was in working order (some reviews of the 9x had me concerned about quality). In all, I'm very satisfied. I did a firmware upgrade on it so it'll be a much more 'powerful' system. I've not added my Dragon Link to it yet, but will be doing so shortly.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2011, 02:42 PM
FPV-ophile
Joined Oct 2010
372 Posts
Awesome! I think you have convinced meto go that route instead! Thanks for the heads up!

Please let me know how it goes and if you had any major problems installing your Dragon link

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
I bought a FlySky 9x from PlaneInsaneRC.com based out of Utah. It ran just over $100 shipped. Ryan does provide a 10 day return period if there's problems with the unit. Hi even tested mine before shipping to verify all was in working order (some reviews of the 9x had me concerned about quality). In all, I'm very satisfied. I did a firmware upgrade on it so it'll be a much more 'powerful' system. I've not added my Dragon Link to it yet, but will be doing so shortly.
Old Jul 06, 2011, 03:52 PM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna717 View Post
Awesome! I think you have convinced meto go that route instead! Thanks for the heads up!

Please let me know how it goes and if you had any major problems installing your Dragon link

Thanks!
It's virtually the same product anyways. It's (according to the pictures) an older version though, alas there is a 72Mhz Antenna in there, but the procedure is likely to be very much the same. So with a tiny bit of creativity I'm sure you will suceed with this one too.

Btw, Don't care about mode 2 or mode 4 with the 9x. It's fairly easy to change that. So if one of the two is in stock, pick whichever is available. The other thing is that those items are so highly wanted that it pays off to preorder at HK. Incoming stock is almost always immediately eaten up by the pending preorders. You should be fine with the eurgle though, I just mentioned this to share experience.

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Jul 06, 2011, 03:56 PM
FPV-ophile
Joined Oct 2010
372 Posts
I guess I could just do that, order the mode 1 tx and switch it over...I had forgotten how easys that was to change!

Thanks for the idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
It's virtually the same product anyways. It's (according to the pictures) an older version though, alas there is a 72Mhz Antenna in there, but the procedure is likely to be very much the same. So with a tiny bit of creativity I'm sure you will suceed with this one too.

Btw, Don't care about mode 2 or mode 4 with the 9x. It's fairly easy to change that. So if one of the two is in stock, pick whichever is available. The other thing is that those items are so highly wanted that it pays off to preorder at HK. Incoming stock is almost always immediately eaten up by the pending preorders. You should be fine with the eurgle though, I just mentioned this to share experience.

Markus
Old Jul 06, 2011, 09:53 PM
United States, CA, Lemoore
Joined Nov 2008
446 Posts
Does it matter which of the two black wires goes to the connection points shown?

Kavin
Svede is offline Find More Posts by Svede
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV Seaplane 'Sea Bull'
Old Jul 07, 2011, 03:36 AM
Joined Aug 2006
2,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svede View Post
Does it matter which of the two black wires goes to the connection points shown?

Kavin
Nope. It's just ground in both cases.

Markus
Old Jul 07, 2011, 06:35 AM
Oh so close!
Campbell River
Joined Jan 2010
702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
Nope. It's just ground in both cases.

Markus
So in the case of the DL which has only 3 wires I could attach the black wire to either one of the connections then right?

Cheers
clipper99 is offline Find More Posts by clipper99
Old Jul 07, 2011, 07:08 AM
Joined Aug 2006
2,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clipper99 View Post
So in the case of the DL which has only 3 wires I could attach the black wire to either one of the connections then right?

Cheers
Yes, exactly. The CL is having two ground wires to make a more solid ground connection. Well at least that's my belive. This does not mean though that the DL is worse in this reagards. So yes, solder the DL black wire to any of the two spots.

Markus
Old Jul 07, 2011, 08:05 AM
Formerly bUd~Fokker
Australia, NSW, Eurongilly
Joined Aug 2008
2,039 Posts
I recently wired the chainlink system to my Turnigy 9x and yes you only need one wire. There is a post about it here somewhere and the extra wire is only if you are going to power the CL from a separate battery from the one in the radio. I just removed the wire altogether.
vvV FANG Vvv is offline Find More Posts by vvV FANG Vvv
Old Jul 07, 2011, 08:38 AM
Brasil, GO, Goiânia
Joined Feb 2011
38 Posts
Hi all, i´m actually wiring my DL to my 9X, an I´ve read on another site( http://lipopilot.blogspot.com/2011/0...wiring-to.html ) that the pin that handles the positive could not offer the amperage needed for the DL to work so they told to take out the positive directly from the on/off switch, is that true?
capdrix is offline Find More Posts by capdrix
Old Jul 07, 2011, 07:54 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capdrix View Post
Hi all, i´m actually wiring my DL to my 9X, an I´ve read on another site( http://lipopilot.blogspot.com/2011/0...wiring-to.html ) that the pin that handles the positive could not offer the amperage needed for the DL to work so they told to take out the positive directly from the on/off switch, is that true?
I've not seen that before. One some radios (Futaba) the PPM signal is weak and needed a 10k resistor connect to Vcc and PPM pins to pull up the signal to a level the DL can recognize. I wonder if the statement of not enough current capacity of the 9x module Vcc pin has anything to do with needing or not needed the pull-up resistor? I guess it wouldn't hurt, but why not just jump the switch pin to the Vcc input pin at the PCB the Rf module plugs into vs having to route a wire through the back case and into the module? Eitherway, I believe the current draw on the DL transmitter is all that much anyway...don't know why the 9x circuit isn't capable...
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 07, 2011, 10:18 PM
Air Crash Expert
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,176 Posts
The transmitter module draws about 180mA to 190mA when running off about 8V to 9V. I find it impossible to believe any circuit in the 9X can't handle this little bit of current.
sawman is offline Find More Posts by sawman
Old Jul 08, 2011, 06:52 AM
Brasil, GO, Goiânia
Joined Feb 2011
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
I've not seen that before. One some radios (Futaba) the PPM signal is weak and needed a 10k resistor connect to Vcc and PPM pins to pull up the signal to a level the DL can recognize. I wonder if the statement of not enough current capacity of the 9x module Vcc pin has anything to do with needing or not needed the pull-up resistor? I guess it wouldn't hurt, but why not just jump the switch pin to the Vcc input pin at the PCB the Rf module plugs into vs having to route a wire through the back case and into the module? Eitherway, I believe the current draw on the DL transmitter is all that much anyway...don't know why the 9x circuit isn't capable...
Very good point you stated, good idea!
capdrix is offline Find More Posts by capdrix
Old Jul 09, 2011, 05:16 PM
Australia, QLD, Maleny
Joined Jul 2009
376 Posts
as i don't have good enough skill in soldering (or a good enough iron) i just want to solder directly to the pinout of the 9x... but i don't know which pin is the ppm output or positive or negative? does anyone know which pins provide what?

thanks in advance
hwat rc is offline Find More Posts by hwat rc