HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 26, 2011, 05:06 PM
near Stgt/Germany
Joined Feb 2003
1,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDw View Post
Hey Markus just wondering what glue you used for attaching the cl case to the velcro? I've tried hot glue and it comes off very easily.

Also wwhat glue for attaching the velcro to the top of the 9x?

Thanks.
No glue, Polyester Velcro Peel-n-stick adhesive side V-STRONG

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9374
mr..speed is offline Find More Posts by mr..speed
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2011, 05:30 PM
NDw
Ireland, Limerick, Kilmallock
Joined Aug 2010
2,123 Posts
Ah ok thanks. I just had velcro with no glue so have tried 5 min epoxy and it works very well.
NDw is offline Find More Posts by NDw
Old Apr 26, 2011, 06:05 PM
NDw
Ireland, Limerick, Kilmallock
Joined Aug 2010
2,123 Posts
Btw for 9x users, this is nice info

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post18078130
NDw is offline Find More Posts by NDw
Old Apr 27, 2011, 03:29 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDw View Post
Hey Markus just wondering what glue you used for attaching the cl case to the velcro? I've tried hot glue and it comes off very easily.

Also wwhat glue for attaching the velcro to the top of the 9x?

Thanks.
I use the velcro from HK which is self adhesive. Sticks like hell to virtually everything you attach it to, and is dureable etc. One can buy it per meter and it's cheap. Bought once 5m of it and this means I'm ok with velcro for the upcoming years.

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
Old May 11, 2011, 06:31 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,404 Posts
Markus I have an offtopic question with which you could maybe help me...I would like to solder a pigtail coax to sma connector extension from the 9x module to the top of the tx so that I could change antennas...
Does this cable: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/sma-con...ug-4-pack-5173 have the correct connector for Alex'x or other commercially available antennas?
Can you maybe give me some instructions, because you've seen how the grey turnigy 9x thin coax cable was solder to the module, where should I solder the central conductor and where the shielding,...
Thanks!

Marko
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Old May 11, 2011, 07:15 AM
Joined Aug 2006
2,808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
Markus I have an offtopic question with which you could maybe help me...I would like to solder a pigtail coax to sma connector extension from the 9x module to the top of the tx so that I could change antennas...
Does this cable: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/sma-con...ug-4-pack-5173 have the correct connector for Alex'x or other commercially available antennas?
Can you maybe give me some instructions, because you've seen how the grey turnigy 9x thin coax cable was solder to the module, where should I solder the central conductor and where the shielding,...
Thanks!

Marko
Marko,

Seems to be the right cable for the job. The connector on the antenna side is an SMA connector which is standard for this type of application. The picture showes how the cable was soldered onto the original PCB. Antennas are sometimes SMA, sometimes SMA-RP. So you better first check if the antenna you are interested in uses SMA or SMA-RP. Both types are common and both have their pros and cons.

The best way to replace the antenna is to cut off the plastic dome completely (as in the instructions of this thread actually) and use bigger washers inside and outside of the tx to mount the connector you intend to use. This way you can tightnen the antenna to be used propperly. If you leave the dome, you have two problems.

a) You must turn the complete antenna onto the connector which is bad since the center pin then turns too and this should be avoided.
b) You cant propperly tighten the antenna as the built in "slip" alowing the antenna to be turned when mounted prevents you from doing it right. The result is a risk of a burnt PA stage in the HF module if the contact of the antenna becomes flakey, let alone reduced range etc.

HTH

Markus
Old May 11, 2011, 08:19 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,404 Posts
Great! Thanks a bunch for the info ! If i see correctly the central conductor is solder to the "pad" in the upper part of the picture and the shielding is soldered to the "pad" in the lower part of the picture,..I guess I could do that..
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Old May 11, 2011, 08:35 AM
Joined Aug 2006
2,808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
Great! Thanks a bunch for the info ! If i see correctly the central conductor is solder to the "pad" in the upper part of the picture and the shielding is soldered to the "pad" in the lower part of the picture,..I guess I could do that..
Yes. It's heavily magnified :-) so you need good goggles and a fine solder iron. The biggest challenge usually is the cable insulation as it melts. Don't remember if the one from DealExtreme is teflon insulated as this would help a great deal. Good luck with your endevour.

Markus
Old May 11, 2011, 04:18 PM
RC pilot by soul
Israel
Joined Apr 2005
2,475 Posts
Here is how i mounted my Chainlink on Turnigy ER9X..
i3dm is offline Find More Posts by i3dm
Old May 12, 2011, 04:02 AM
Joined Aug 2006
2,808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3dm View Post
Here is how i mounted my Chainlink on Turnigy ER9X..
Very nice aproach! Where do you have this bluish kind of construction from? Self made? Very well done! Congratulations.

Markus
Old May 12, 2011, 04:30 AM
RC pilot by soul
Israel
Joined Apr 2005
2,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
Very nice aproach! Where do you have this bluish kind of construction from? Self made? Very well done! Congratulations.

Markus
Go to ww.ebay.com and search for "Futaba stand" - these sell for about 7$ each. the advantage is that you can also tune the angle of the Tx antenna to your liking.
Old May 12, 2011, 05:46 AM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,198 Posts
My simple method, a piece of scrap timber and some velcro
MikeTheCrash is online now Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Jul 04, 2011, 09:17 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,954 Posts
I just got referred to this thread. Great information Markus...thanks for posting the tutorial.

i3dm...you mounted your CL the same way I mounted the DL on my MPX Evo radio. I agree, mounting on the swing our Tx stand makes it really easy to angle the antenna as desired. It does take up a lot of real estate on the back of the radio though. I bought a 9x with the idea of a more compact, permanent mount for my DL. So many options to look at and choose from here.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2011, 07:17 AM
RC pilot by soul
Israel
Joined Apr 2005
2,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
I just got referred to this thread. Great information Markus...thanks for posting the tutorial.

i3dm...you mounted your CL the same way I mounted the DL on my MPX Evo radio. I agree, mounting on the swing our Tx stand makes it really easy to angle the antenna as desired. It does take up a lot of real estate on the back of the radio though. I bought a 9x with the idea of a more compact, permanent mount for my DL. So many options to look at and choose from here.
Mine says there permenantly and works like a charm every time.
Old Jul 05, 2011, 08:22 PM
Oh so close!
Campbell River
Joined Jan 2010
702 Posts
Maybe I missed something...on your pictorial the cable you are using has 4 wires but from the DL site their installation procedure only shows 3 cables coming from their module.

(last photo at bottom of page)
http://www.terranova.net/~winger/RCV...stallation.htm
clipper99 is offline Find More Posts by clipper99