SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 02, 2011, 05:08 PM
Birmingham AL
Joined Jul 2010
627 Posts
Build Log
FY-90Q quad w/ 470mm Vic20 frame

I am currently building my third quad. I am using the FY-90Q Black box edition on a VIC20Owner frame with custom center plates to make it 470mm motor to motor.
This first post is just to give a few pictures and a list of what I am using. I will go through tuning and flight as I get there.

1x FYETECH FY-90Q
1x VIc20Owner frame Blue G10 w/extra center plate 470mm motor to motor
4x RCTimer BL-2830/14 750Kv brushless motors
4x HobbyKing ss 25-30Amp ESC's
4x RCTimer 20amp programable ESC's
1x Orangerc 6 ch Receiver
1x OrangeRC Saltelite Rx, (Together same as AR6200)
4x Montorc 10x4.5 SF Props OR 4x APC 8c3.8 Props
4x Prop Adapters (came with RCTimer motors)
12x 2mm bullet connectors UPDATE I USED 3.5 MM BULLET CONNECTORS
5x JST connectors
1x 5 to 1 JST adapter
1x JST to DEANS adapter
3s Lipo 1800mah- 4000mah 11.1v, Will try several

RChelisrule is offline Find More Posts by RChelisrule
Last edited by RChelisrule; May 04, 2011 at 11:06 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2011, 06:06 PM
Birmingham AL
Joined Jul 2010
627 Posts
My last quad was Terminator v2 frame with a KK board (red 2010) 4x 930 kv motors and 4x 25-30a HK ss ESC's. I used much bigger wire and connectors for it. For instance I used 5x 3.5mm on the ESC's , on this one I am using 3x 2mm bullets to the motor and a JST to the battery. The Wire for the 4 to 1 connection to the battery is MUCH smaller wire in this one, it has thin 22awg wire comes on the JST connections and 5 to 1 unit.
opposed to very thin]ck (and HEAVY) 12awg wire I used on the last one. This is going to save a lot of weight but I am wondering if the wire is too thin? I know the last setup was a little overkill but do you guys think this will be too thin for this setup? I think it will be fine, it's only slightly smaller than on the 330x and the bullets are bigger, but so are the ESC's and Motors on this?

I am also trying a few different size batteries. I have some little 1500-1800mah that will be good when I add a bunch of weight or short flights, a bunch of 2200mah that will be good, Aplus 50c to Zippy 20c all work well. I also have a Thunder Power 2100mah and a Common Sense 2600mah which I think will end up being the best size for this quad.

Also the prop size is in question. As a rule of thumb you should use the smallest prop that will give you enough lift. Although these 750kv motors would be fine with these 10x4.5 sf monto or Gaui props I am thinking the 8x3.8 sf props APC or Gaui props may work best (same as my Gaui 330x). Only testing will tell best.. I also have some 10x6 non sf props that I am going to try, Have any of you had experience with similar configurations?
Old Apr 02, 2011, 06:45 PM
Gary
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Mar 2011
2,489 Posts
That's neat! I'm not sure I'm up to a custom build, but it sure looks like fun. Looks like you have your choice of props. There are so many frames/controller combos I just can't decide. Good luck!
glmccready is online now Find More Posts by glmccready
Old Apr 02, 2011, 07:13 PM
Birmingham AL
Joined Jul 2010
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glmccready View Post
That's neat! I'm not sure I'm up to a custom build, but it sure looks like fun. Looks like you have your choice of props. There are so many frames/controller combos I just can't decide. Good luck!
That's why you TRY ONE OF EACH! I have a GU-433, a KK Board, a FY-20q, and a Lotus RC T-580 on the way and I am trying to become a testor for the FY-91q, If not I will buy 1 when available. I will try the hoverfly after that most likely. You can always sell them with only a little loss if they are not for you.
Old Apr 02, 2011, 07:27 PM
Gary
Joined Mar 2011
2,489 Posts
What controller is your favorite and most stable? And which frame do you like the best. I was thinking of starting out with a Vic-20, and a Gaui controller (saw one new on ebay for $150) for a starter and keep it simple for my first build? I'm more interested in stability for photography... Thanks! You custom builders are charting uncharted territory for us newbies! Then I saw this: Recently bought a new Fyetech FY-90Q quad controller for my quad. Extremely stable, and a huge improvement over the Gaui 344. lol
Old Apr 02, 2011, 09:23 PM
Birmingham AL
Joined Jul 2010
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glmccready View Post
What controller is your favorite and most stable? And which frame do you like the best. I was thinking of starting out with a Vic-20, and a Gaui controller (saw one new on ebay for $150) for a starter and keep it simple for my first build? I'm more interested in stability for photography... Thanks! You custom builders are charting uncharted territory for us newbies! Then I saw this: Recently bought a new Fyetech FY-90Q quad controller for my quad. Extremely stable, and a huge improvement over the Gaui 344. lol
The fy 20q does have accelerometers which the gaui doesn't but it is a little harder to get dialed in just right, it is also more susceptible to vibration. The gu-344 is a great first quad and still one of my favorites. I would get that and a vic20 for my first one, I may change my mind as soon as I get this quad finished though. lol, But I absolutely love my gaui 330x, I fly it by far the most. I learned fast forward flight and banking turns and it's stable enough to go 1000ft in the air where you only see a dot and come back down. Go for it man.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 09:11 PM
Birmingham AL
Joined Jul 2010
627 Posts
OK, first thing is A LOT of soldering. I Soldered 3 female bullets on each ESC wires x4 (x12). (I used 3.5 mm instead of the 2.0mm I was going to use). Now solder 3 male bullets on my 4 motors (x12).
Now I decided to use JST connectors on the battery side of the ESC to use my 5 to 1 jst connector

Old Apr 26, 2011, 09:19 PM
Birmingham AL
Joined Jul 2010
627 Posts
Plan ahead when you start to mount your ESC's and rout your wires for the cleanest build.

I also widened the Motor Mount holes with a small file so I could use ALL 4 SCREWS

be sure to check the direction of each motor and reverse every other one according to your setup.

Also I like to # my ESC's plug so I know where to plug them in

I rout the esc signal wires through 1 hole closest to where they will come out. Aslo depending on your FC board, most of them require you to ONLY CONNECT 1 ESC WITH BEC. DO NOT PLUG 4X 5V INTO YOUR FLIGHT CONTROL BOARD OR YOU MAY LOSE YOUR MAGIC SMOKE

[B] had to find some very large standoffs for the top plate due to the heigth of the FY-90q mount , I ended up using part of a 450 Heli head instead of the short standard spacers.[B]

Last edited by RChelisrule; Apr 28, 2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 09:26 PM
Birmingham AL
Joined Jul 2010
627 Posts
Since the frame centers are SO big I found I was able to mount my Receiver INSIDE the plates this is going to be a clean machine.

ok, here I have all 4 esc's plugged in through a 5 to 1 JST adapter then to a deans to the battery. that leaves 1 jst connector open for the LED lights.

The satelite rx is mounted to the back arm pointing down. for the best diversity I may move it to a front arm pointing down, since the main is pointing straight out of the back

That is what it looks like with the top plate. That's all for now. More of this FY-90q build to come!
Last edited by RChelisrule; Apr 28, 2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 06:12 PM
Birmingham AL
Joined Jul 2010
627 Posts
OK, Even the best layed plans can get screwed up! I read the instructions AFTER the build to set up the FY-90q and it states that I need to use ESC's with manual throttle endpoint settings NOT automatic endpoint settings like the esc's I bought are . OK , so I have unhooked the esc's and taken it back apart, I sold the ESC's and bought 4 with programable endpoints. I will continue the build from there. Better to correct it now than to start flyin it and not be happy with it's performance. Thant's what I get for buying the FY-90q last and not reading the instructions till even later lol.

I ordered 4x of these plus a programming card
http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...7&productname=
Old Apr 29, 2011, 09:50 AM
Gary
Joined Mar 2011
2,489 Posts
Re: auto vs. manual endpoints..ESC, I wouldn't know which were which anyway. We learn as we go sometimes, I think there is a lot of uncharted territory when it comes to Quads. One question = 5 different answers and they are all correct. You GO dude! Good luck!
Old Apr 29, 2011, 08:04 PM
Suspended Account
UK, Buckinghamshire, High Wycombe
Joined Feb 2007
4,133 Posts
did you read my post on hobbyking about what that connector would be good for bruv?
n3m1s1s is offline Find More Posts by n3m1s1s
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 04, 2011, 11:08 AM
Birmingham AL
Joined Jul 2010
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3m1s1s View Post
did you read my post on hobbyking about what that connector would be good for bruv?
no? which connector? the 5 to 1 JST connector?
Old May 11, 2011, 11:02 AM
Birmingham AL
Joined Jul 2010
627 Posts
OK, finally my new 20amp RC Timer ESC's came in. They look good but suprisingly no smaller than the 30amp I had in there before?

I recieved the programing card with these but I really didn't need it. The only thing I did with it is make all of my ESC's play a song when I power up.

It takes a little time but be sure to get good solder connections on ALL bullets and connectors.

I used 3.5 mm bullets on the motor side and JST connectors for the 5 to 1 harness going to the Battery.
It takes a little time but be sure to get good solder connections on ALL bullets and connectors.
Also be sure to use good heat shinking tubing to insulate all connections. This is much better and cleaner than electrical tape.

Old May 11, 2011, 11:09 AM
Birmingham AL
Joined Jul 2010
627 Posts
OK, Before hooking your ESC's up it's a good idea to # the 3 pin plugs 1-4 so you know which is which easily. Rout all wires through the same hole for a clean look and stuff all excess wire into the center.
MAKE SURE TO DISCONNECT 3 OUT OF 4 POSITIVE (RED) BEC WIRES FROM THE 3 PIN CONNECTOR GOING INTO THE FLIGHT CONTROL BOARD. YOU ONLY WANT 1x BEC GOING TO THE BOARD NOT 4x!

now I am double checking all connections before binding my Rx and setting my throttle endpoints

Last edited by RChelisrule; May 11, 2011 at 03:43 PM.