HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Herb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 04, 2011, 03:00 AM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,712 Posts
Those decals look terrific. I went to the web link provided, and couldn't find them listed on the web site. Do you know the stock number(s) for them?
thunder1 is offline Find More Posts by thunder1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2011, 08:21 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
20,836 Posts
Herb, amazing work as always!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cant wait to see this at some of the local events...its going to be quite a stunning model when its done!!! top notch.
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jul 08, 2011, 03:59 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,009 Posts
Hi, Thanks for the comments

Ralle's decals are in stock (whatever that means, as I think he makes them on the fly), as are his RLM paints.

www.tailormadedecals.com

It's my impression that Ralle makes the best decals/paint masks in the world ...

Here's an example of Ralle's decals, masks, paints and paint job on a FW-190D, I'm enlisting his help to get the RLM 81/82/76 combo (Braunviolett/Hellgruen/Lichtblau) correct.

Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Last edited by Herb; Jul 08, 2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 06:26 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
Hi, Thanks for the comments

Ralle's decals are in stock (whatever that means, as I think he makes them on the fly), as are his RLM paints.

www.tailormadedecals.com

It's my impression that Ralle makes the best decals/paint masks in the world ...

Here's an example of Ralle's decals, masks, paints and paint job on a FW-190D, I'm enlisting his help to get the RLM 81/82/76 combo (Braunviolett/Hellgruen/Lichtblau) correct.

I guess I'll have to call him since the link on his web page is broken.

Getting the exact colors on any Me-262 is really a shot in the dark. Late war Luftwaffe colors were rarely uniform, due to supply and manufacturing issues. At any rate, I don't think that color chips survived of the 81/82/83 colors.

Quote:
As far as is known, no other Oberflächenschutzlistes appear to have been issued after this one. Thus, it is quite possible that this document reflects the official RLM description of these two new colours, and if so, it is likely that Messerschmitt (and others?) also received a colour atlas with paint samples. Accepting this, then those preserved aircraft wearing these colours likely came close to the shades the RLM demanded. Until such time as the RLM’s last colour atlas is found, the precise shades of Braunviolett 81 and Hellgrün 82 will remain unknown. Given the probable variability in paints manufactured at this time, the comparison of what was intended versus what actually existed is a moot one.
http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/luftcamdb_3.htm
thunder1 is offline Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Jul 18, 2011, 07:25 AM
Just having fun before I die!
DeKalb,IL
Joined Dec 2008
901 Posts
Hi Herb

Nice Me262 project glad I found it! I purchased the same kit a few months back but haven't started it yet do to having to work 2 jobs do to the one I lost. So I my Me-262 will start this Fall/Winter. Here is a link of another Me-262 build a lot of good info and 2 important finds Checkmate found.

1: The nacelles on his 262 started to sag after several flights. He fixed the problem with a dowel pin mount in the front where the wing and nacelle meet.

2: He could see in one of his videos the rudder would oscillate at high speeds. He had to make extra support for the rudder Here is a link to his build. http://home.roadrunner.com/~mhanger/Me262.html

My self I do have one problem with my 262 the rudder is warped to one side I've checked with others how have build the 262 kit and none of them had this problem. But they all said it should be an easy fix. See pic if you zoom in you will see a red vertical line and a red thrust line on the rudder.

Looking forward to your build glad I found it! Nice work!
BadLemon is offline Find More Posts by BadLemon
Old Jul 18, 2011, 11:23 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,009 Posts
Hi there,

Yes as I discussed before the AW Me-262 was originally designed to fly on ca. 800W per motor (1600W total or so) with NiCd cells ... The nacelles were, at the time, made for that kind of power ...

(1) My nacelle and motor mounts have been completely redone, see pictures posted above? I used much stiffer fan support formers, fiberglass sheet nacelle mounts with big mounting bolts.

On top of that, the nacelles will be mounted semi-permanently; making them easily removable is asking for trouble on a high powered setup (vibration).

(2) the tail has been stiffened with formers both in the fuse and the tail itself. Also, the twin aluminum spars have also been epoxied in to add stiffness. A service hatch has been opened at the bottom of the tail.

Old Jul 18, 2011, 11:31 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,009 Posts
Service hatch in tail

Old Jul 18, 2011, 11:35 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,009 Posts
The rudder servo can move 15-20 deg max, so the Me-262 will not knife edge well .

At the same time, due to the limited excursion, the rudder servo torque requirement can be computed in the 50-60 oz-in range.

Old Jul 18, 2011, 11:38 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,009 Posts
Rudder servo and linkages,

Old Jul 18, 2011, 11:42 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,009 Posts
I pressure tested the two separate retract and brake air circuits, and they seem to hold pressure very well

Old Jul 22, 2011, 02:03 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,009 Posts
The nose gear strut needed to be shortened a bit.

Then it was drilled and tapped into the hardened steel retaining collar with two 6-32 set screws.

After dulling three brand new drill bits and subsequently shredding the recommended dubro 6-32 tapping bit, I had it drilled and tapped by Lee at our machine shop

Old Jul 24, 2011, 12:42 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,009 Posts
Nosegear installed & tested, looking at what to do with the gear doors next ...

Also, eventually need to clean up that rat's nest of air lines & servo wiring

Old Jul 25, 2011, 07:48 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,009 Posts
Now waiting for the twin 120A HV (6-12S) speed controls ... tic toc tic toc
Old Jul 31, 2011, 02:52 AM
Joined Dec 2004
29 Posts
Herb,

Thanks for the interesting build log - been very useful as I am rebuilding the same model. Got it off someone that tried to build it a few years ago, but never got it off the ground. I basically stripped out all his "building" work as some guys should rather build than fly! Any chance of sending me a copy of the building instructions 9even if they are in german) as I will need the control throws, CG etc.

Regards,

Andre
electricfly2002 is offline Find More Posts by electricfly2002
Old Aug 01, 2011, 12:51 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,009 Posts
Hi Andre, sounds like a nice project !

I love retrieving planes from the trashcan if they are not too beaten up ... many know how to fly but no idea or time to fix

Here's the Airworld instructions, let me know if you can unpack them. I used google translate to get you an English version

Keep in mind that the instructions, written ca. ten years ago, apply to a model powered by twin 800W Mega 20 - Moki fans and a couple of long sticks of NiCds ... they are hopelessly out of date.

The established AW Me-262 CG is ca. 150mm behind the wing-fuse joint, at the wing or fuse centerline.

Hope this helps, HWH

Last edited by Herb; Aug 01, 2011 at 01:22 PM.