HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Herb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 22, 2011, 02:51 PM
Joined Dec 2005
65 Posts
Hi Herb,

no, they are fine. I have around 1000W per side.
Here is my old Me 262 with the same setup.

IMG_0338.MOV (0 min 40 sec)

IMG_0339.MOV (0 min 26 sec)

IMG_0345.MOV (0 min 38 sec)

It is the low wing load with 6.8kg.

Greets

Cat
catman74 is offline Find More Posts by catman74
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2011, 02:55 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,133 Posts
That is a good weight !!
Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Old May 22, 2011, 03:04 PM
Joined Dec 2005
65 Posts
Thanks Herb,

the plane lands like a glider.
Old May 23, 2011, 04:40 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,133 Posts
Installing the complete nosegear unit requires access to areas where glue needs to be applied precisely and sparingly ...

The long mixing tips provided with the Hysol applicator gun work very well in this case, and make the job a lot easier.

Installation of the mains is next ...

Last edited by Herb; May 23, 2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old May 24, 2011, 04:15 PM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,291 Posts
Me 262

Herb looking forward to seeing your build on this model.
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old May 26, 2011, 05:23 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,133 Posts
Hi Bob, Hope all is well with you

It will be a while till I get the Me-262 close to finished. I can usually find some building time during the week on some evenings - but not so much on the weekends though

The mains retract area did not look as strong as I wished, I added some light weight carbon cloth around the ply ribs and on the top sheeting. I think now the retracts & tubing can go in.

The bolt heads are still a bit too tall, and I need to go to the LHS to find some lower profile ones.

Old May 26, 2011, 05:27 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,133 Posts
The front hatch opening is reinforced with carbon tow around the rim, but the hatch itself was not rigid enough.

On the hatch itself I added some carbon tow front and back to make it a bit more rigid.

Last edited by Herb; Jun 09, 2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old May 26, 2011, 05:32 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,133 Posts
Before installing the retracts, air valves etc they all need to be pressure tested.

I recently had some very bad experience from another manufacturer (not Robart and not Springair) where just about every junk component leaked :
two out of three retract units, retract valve, fill valve and all three door cylinders . Luckily I caught all those leaks during pressure testing, and
was able to fix all of the above one way or another, including re-soldering nipples and doubling the number of air tanks. Don't want to repeat that experience again !

So far all the Robart components have worked flawlessly, no leaks and holding pressure at 100 psi for at least 1/2 day

I actually will be using, eventually, a different brand of tubing, not the Robart translucent one (BVM). I am told the Robart one can pop off when it gets a bit hot in the summer.

But for pressure testing and leak detection this stuff seems fine.

Last edited by Herb; May 26, 2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old May 28, 2011, 04:51 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,133 Posts
I got around connecting all the airlines to the main retract units, as well as to the two tee's - without developing metacarpal tunnel syndrome I hope I won't have to remove those airlines any time soon ...

On the original Me-262 the wheels wells were left bare aluminum (no zinc chromate type of paint) so I went the same way, at least for the visible part. It is nice to still be able to see some of the airex sandwich composite structure of the wing.

The airlines are passed through some suitably sized holes that provide some strain relief so the tubing does not yank through the wing.

Also, I routed the airlines at the back of the wing to avoid weakening the wing skins around the spar region ...

Old May 28, 2011, 05:03 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,133 Posts
Initially I though the Me-262 would have flaps; I then looked closely at the interior of the wing and it looks like cutting out flaps will require some major structural work on the wing : Cutting out the flaps by itself will weaken the wing significantly, right between the nacelles.

I decided therefore to just use the ailearons as drag devices (spoilerons, ailerons up a few mm for landing) and install pneumatic (air) brakes.

For the brakes I might go with the BVM/Robart ones (they look identical) or perhaps another offering I saw lately. The brakes have to fit a 3.75 or 4 inch wheel. I am looking also at an SMC brake valve, or the BVM Smooth Stop one.
Old May 29, 2011, 10:58 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
I'm in the process of putting together an AW Me-262, and I made the inboard flaps operational. I added a 3/32nd plywood spar running along the inboard flap leading edge from the inboard edge of the outboard flap (which I cut off from the aileron) to the center of the wing. I capped the flap edges and adjoining wing openings with the same material. I filled in the wing trailing edges with PU glue just before I capped the opening. It seems plenty strong.

I'm using the Robart compact unibrakes. I thinking about using the Mini Hobby
Real Proportional Air-Brake valve with a separate air tank.
thunder1 is online now Find More Posts by thunder1
Old May 30, 2011, 09:56 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Herb,
I didn't receive the instructions or all the wood parts with my kit. I mention this because the tail seems to be really flexible. If I hold the top of the vertical stab and hold the fuselage, I can move it side to side really easy. It would seem to benefit from some formers in the tail. Does your kit have any formers in the tail?
Old Jun 01, 2011, 05:32 AM
Joined Dec 2005
65 Posts
o.k. guys,

from my experience,

you do not need flaps to land this bird, keep the weight low (7-7.5kg).
and the swallow will land like a glider.

The other thing is the weak tail.

It is important to keep the weight of the tail low.
I have now my second Me 262 and never reinforced the tail.
No problems on both birds.

Hope this helps

Greetings

Cat
Old Jun 01, 2011, 11:39 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder1 View Post
Herb, I didn't receive the instructions or all the wood parts with my kit. I mention this because the tail seems to be really flexible. If I hold the top of the vertical stab and hold the fuselage, I can move it side to side really easy. It would seem to benefit from some formers in the tail. Does your kit have any formers in the tail?
Mine has no formers but I will add one, or more likely, two. One halfway to the tail, and one at the very back.

The problem is not just the tail flexing a bit, but the paint chipping, cracking and popping off eventually from the floppy surface.

The thin ply formers can be made very lightweight, the problem I've had is making them precise enough so they fit well and do the job.

I've made some paper templates, but most likely I will use three overlapping parts (l,r,bott) so the fit will be good and the amount of epoxy will be minimal.

My kit did not include the fan mounting formers either, so I had to make some paper templates for those as well.

For now I am still working on the wing though, which is almost complete modulo the fans.
Old Jun 01, 2011, 06:58 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
Mine has no formers but I will add one, or more likely, two. One halfway to the tail, and one at the very back.

The problem is not just the tail flexing a bit, but the paint chipping, cracking and popping off eventually from the floppy surface.

The thin ply formers can be made very lightweight, the problem I've had is making them precise enough so they fit well and do the job.

I've made some paper templates, but most likely I will use three overlapping parts (l,r,bott) so the fit will be good and the amount of epoxy will be minimal.

My kit did not include the fan mounting formers either, so I had to make some paper templates for those as well.

For now I am still working on the wing though, which is almost complete modulo the fans.
I made up some lite-ply formers and glued them in place with PU glue. Total weight added was 1.25 oz, well worth the added strength and stability. I went with three formers, and they really stiffened the tail.

Looking closely at the internal drawing of the Me-262, I noticed there is a diagonal former running from the fuselage bottom just behind where the tail is joined, up through the vertical stab. It's reflected in the rivet detail on the outside of the fuselage. That was the largest former. I also made two vertical formers, one right at where the tail joins, which is about a 1cm wide piece running around the inside circumference of the fuselage, and another which is located in the center of the tail along the external rivet line.

The nacelle formers were the only wood pieces I got with the kit.

I also didn't get the nacelle bottom covers, I'm planning to make those with 1/64th plywood, and glass them with .5 oz cloth if needed.

I'm going to use 9s flight packs, Stumax SM89 fans, with HET700-68 motors. It's a bit of a wait for the Stumax fans, but are well worth the cost and wait! 2.5KW a side sounds scary. I'm going to have to go easy on the throttle!
Last edited by thunder1; Jun 01, 2011 at 07:13 PM.