HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Herb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 03:10 PM
Joined Dec 2004
30 Posts
Herb,

Thanks for info - I will try to return them as they are at best a poor compromise, I am using the Robart ones in my current ME 262, and they are fine (no brakes). No need for them either, as I fly off full-size airfields and just bleed the speed off.

We flew at Zwartkop AFB this weekend, which is the oldest flying field in South Africa. It also houses the air force museum, and funds generated goes towards the restoration of aircraft. Attached is a pic taken on Sunday - plane needs a pilot, but I will probably copy your cockpit if you do not mind!

I plan to use 2x4S lipos in series in my new plane, but not sure what capacity I can add without going nose heavy. On my current setup I am running 2X5S 5000 packs in parallel, but still nee about 80g of lead in the tail
electricfly2002 is offline Find More Posts by electricfly2002
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:32 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
Very nice !!

The only thing I would add to what I said above is that imo you should really consider adding the brakes.

I was concerned too about adding complexity and weight, but in the end I found that :

(a) the Robart brakes are very easy to install and fit right in ... struts and wheels are made for them ;

(b) they really add control to the model, this is a big plane and I find it really nice to be able to get it to stop where and when I want;

(c) there is very little added complexity or reliability issues, the brakes have their own small separate air tank and release valve;

(d) I have the brakes on the (spring-loaded) trainer switch, so I just click that once or twice and that's it ... no danger of locking.

So you should consider the brakes
Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Old Jul 17, 2012, 05:24 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
For an 8s setup consisting of 2x 4s 5000's in series PER motor, consider putting in a sliding tray with stops or something so when you put the batts in up front through the hatch, you can slide them back over the wing if required and use a stop behind the tray and some form of lock in front that you can manually manipulate with your hand.

As far as the wing...its not too difficult to add some ply ribs inside to add some structural support and hysol them in place.Would be a good idea for the fuse in some places also.

On mine, I have arc 36-75-1's on 8s in midifans. I also have the robart retracts with the 105 degree nose unit.The current esc's are jeti 77 amp units, but I will be upgrading those to 120amp esc's in the near future....just for excess head room.

Mine isnt painted yet nor has it been flown....however, I have seen this setup do quite well.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:55 AM
Joined Dec 2004
30 Posts
So you should consider the brakes [/QUOTE]

Hi,

On my current model I do not need brakes, probably because my AUW is fairly low and I have a fair amount of toe-in on my wheels (as is evident from the wear after only 10 landings!) I checked for brakes on the Tower website, but could not find them listed.

The idea of having a battery tray that can slide back seems like a good idea, and I am going to do the same on my current model and remove the lead in the tail. Bought some clear semi-matt 2K varnish this afternoon for a final coat after I have added the water slide decals. This should also add some weight to the rear area.
electricfly2002 is offline Find More Posts by electricfly2002
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:20 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
I think that was one of the components I ordered directly from Robart,

http://www.robart.com/products/compa...heels-316-axle

Here's the full listing of options on the Robart site :

http://www.robart.com/store/brakes/compact-unibrake

I got my Robart order in a week or so at the time, so delivery was not a problem.

Last edited by Herb; Jul 18, 2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:15 AM
Joined Dec 2007
12 Posts
262 motors

Hi , i have 4 mega 22-30-2 motors and am looking for a less expensive motor with same performance or better. i want to stay with my 5 cell midi pro fan set ups in my airword 262 and panther jet. reading your post you had referred to some i believe hobbyking motors , would you have any motor recomendations ? thanks bill
B 262 is offline Find More Posts by B 262
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:19 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
The Mega 30 is not a bad motor, but nowadays you can find much more reliable setups.

I would seriously look at the HET 650 series motors for the Midifan, which are very reliable and can take a lot of abuse. They drop right into the Midifan with no modifications.

WeMoTec lists some other motors as well which I have not tried (Tenshock), and can supply you with a pre-assembled setup.

Another motor I like a lot is the Turnigy SK3 EDF motor (1900kv) but for the AW Me-262 I would go up a notch and use the HET 650 series which are proven high power performers (so far).
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:47 AM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Oct 2004
757 Posts
Hi Herb, time to check in. Robart has a holiday sale 10% so I am going to use your list on page 2 to order my gear. There is another fellow "Thunder1" who has a thread here on RC Groups. He used 4" Robart wheels and a 3 3/4 Williams Bros. smooth contour nose wheel on his to great scale effect, check it out. I also got my decals from Tailormade to do "Yellow 3" as pictured on the back of Squadron/Signals Walk Around book. It is the one with the white/blue checkerboard at the aft fuse. I also bought a pair of Jetfan 90's and dropped them off at Tamjets. Tam is installing the motors and ESC's in the tailcones of the fans. He specializes in that type of work. I do not have the motor specs yet but he said they will produce approx 2600W on 8s (perfect) and capable of over 4000W on 10s. Probably Neu or Het motors and CC ICE2 120HV ESC's for sure.
Husafreak is offline Find More Posts by Husafreak
Last edited by Husafreak; Dec 23, 2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:08 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husafreak View Post
... installing the motors and ESC's in the tailcones of the fans....
Hi, I installed the twin esc's where they could be reached and be serviceable (ie get replaced, if necessary). That is how everybody else is doing it in the Me-262, as far as I have seen.

The point is that a) you want the esc accessible & serviceable, b) you don't want batt-to-esc wires longer than 20cm or so, and c) you don't want any junk hanging out behind the motor & fan

Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:26 PM
Coldwater, Mi. USA
Joined Jul 2000
829 Posts
Hi Herb and Husafreak,

Yeah Herb, you are correct about the tailcone/esc install on this plane.

While it can be quite a nice set-up in other aircraft, the distance between the esc and batteries is at least two feet of wire in this 262.

I'm going to place my esc's exactly where you did. (I'll save my tailcones for something else).

I did fly my freewing 262 this past Sunday. 23 degrees outside with an 8mph wind..... .....bbbbrrrrrrrrrr.

I like it more than the Dynam even though I was freezing. It should make for a decent trainer for the Airworld.

My Airworld should be ready to fly by April. I plan to fly unpainted and then paint outside when things warm up around here.

thanks again for this outstanding/informative blog

-DG

P.S
Airworld Me 262 David Grife (5 min 52 sec)
Dave Grife is offline Find More Posts by Dave Grife
Last edited by Dave Grife; Jun 16, 2013 at 09:46 AM. Reason: update
Old May 01, 2013, 11:40 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
Hi Dave,

Looks like everything is under control It's a great flying airframe, and it sure will be a pity if Airworld does not make the kit anymore.

The original designer is seemingly still flying his balsa / wood prototype after 15 years or so , his weighs only 14 lbs or so. There is a nice video of it somewhere on the internet ...
Old May 01, 2013, 10:54 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
Took me a while to find the video, one I understand is the 1998 or so Airworld balsa / wood prototype

http://www.rcmovie.de/video/6c020b50...pellermeeting-

I think C.H.'s seems the first one to take off, the other two should be two more regular stock Airworld (no flaps).
Old Jun 09, 2013, 06:08 PM
Purple power
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,593 Posts
Herb's 262 yesterday.
ME 262 (4 min 25 sec)
gregg f is offline Find More Posts by gregg f
Old Jun 10, 2013, 10:09 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
That came out nice Gregg, thanks for posting ! Amazing what an iphone can do.

I ordered a new set of receiver packs so that I can do some serious testing ... Sanyo N Nicd's vs. A123 packs vs. 40C 2S nanotech pack with a voltage regulator.

Last edited by Herb; Jun 10, 2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 10:14 AM
Purple power
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,593 Posts
Excellent.
Wish I'd had some German music to mask the wind noise!
gregg f is offline Find More Posts by gregg f