SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Herb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:03 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Indeed The Me-262 wing just barely fits in my suv (x5). I have to move the front passenger side seat all the way forward.

My suv has soft carpeting in the back, so the wing or nacelle scraping is not a problem. I do put a soft (home entry or ikea kitchen) mat between the wing and the fuse - which lies next to it - so they don't scrape against each other while driving.

I also glued securely all around (with silicone) the bottom nacelle hatch, and then put thin transparent scotch tape over the joint.

That way the whole assembly is rather rigid, in my case.

A minor bit of scraping on the nacelle bottoms can be fixed by the old tamiya rattlecan, no ?
Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:37 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Thank you herb for the listing on those pics. Helps a bunch
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old May 18, 2012, 01:29 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Feldi's very nice AW Me-262 just had a perfect maiden :

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...nfrage!/page10

Old May 18, 2012, 01:31 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Henri's AW Me-262 the day of the maiden :

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...enfrage!/page9

Old Jun 03, 2012, 11:57 PM
Joined May 2007
317 Posts
Giant Scale ME-262 EDF interview and flight (15 min 1 sec)

Video of my big 262 project. Looking forward to seeing you out at PVMAC.
Pandissix is online now Find More Posts by Pandissix
Old Jun 05, 2012, 02:07 PM
Coldwater, Mi. USA
Joined Jul 2000
849 Posts
Hi Herb,

Check out this one

EDF Me 262 (2 min 39 sec)
Dave Grife is offline Find More Posts by Dave Grife
Old Jun 08, 2012, 01:13 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Hi Dave, Thanks for posting the video ... looks like a nice setup
Old Jul 06, 2012, 02:33 AM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Oct 2004
762 Posts
I just ordered one of these from Team Aeroscale, thanks for a great build log!
Husafreak is offline Find More Posts by Husafreak
Old Jul 06, 2012, 12:06 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
You are welcome, you'll love it it's a superb lightweight kit
Old Jul 08, 2012, 10:53 PM
Joined Oct 2004
762 Posts
Well! Thank you for a great thread, I sent Gotz at Vogelsang Aeroscale a check last week for this fantastic kit. I can build but I hope I can do justice to it with the decals and lettering and weatheing. I intend to go with Stumax fans on 8s and whatever electric retracts I can get that will work from Tamjets. Loking forward to a great project.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 05:22 PM
Joined Dec 2004
30 Posts
U/c

Herb,

Not sure how you mounted the undercarriage but the 3mm lite ply mounts are not up to "arrivals". Mine has 10x10x40mm blocks mounted under the landing gear, but the one block separated on a harder than normal landing in a cross wind, and retract caused slight damage to wing . I removed these over the weekend and replaced them with 10x10 hardwood blocks running the full distance between the first and second ribs. May be a useful modification, especially with the heavier set ups. I am also waiting for my second ME 262 from AW, which I want to make into a competition scale model. My current model now has 10 flights, and I want to run my new model on 8 or 10S lipos on a multi-blade fan for the sound.

Regards,

Andre
electricfly2002 is offline Find More Posts by electricfly2002
Old Jul 09, 2012, 05:27 PM
Joined Dec 2004
30 Posts
AW ME 262 on Takeoff

Hi,

Picture of my ME 262 on takeoff at Gariep Dam flying field in South Africa. Just need to add markings and a pilot!
Old Jul 10, 2012, 01:01 AM
Joined Oct 2004
762 Posts
Check out the JETFAN 90 thread. I want Stumax fans but the JETFAN is certainly a great sounding fan.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:34 AM
Joined Dec 2004
30 Posts
Retracts

Herb,

Not sure what is included in the standard AW electric kits, but seems that there may have been a misunderstanding between me and my supplier. I ordered a second kit with retracts (which cost extra), and got plastic retracts with wire struts.

What did you receive with your kit? I am using the Robart retracts in the ME 262 that I am flying, and they work well and also look good.

Regards,

andre
Old Jul 16, 2012, 01:39 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Hi Andre,

My AW Me-262 kit did not come with retracts, and I never considered buying an AW set given the choices people had made before. I heard very few good things about them, plus they were hard to get, and fairly pricey.

Whereas the Robarts had several things going for them: They had been tried before and worked well. They are strong with nicely made chrome-molybdenum struts. They fit the Me-262 perfectly. Parts were easy to get any time, either from Robart or from Tower Hobbies. The Robart brakes and scale wheels were made for them. The air system with valves & regulators is battle proven etc.etc. Maybe you can return yours?

So to me that was a no-brainer - instead of trying to fiddle with say electric retracts that don't fit, can't handle the weight of the struts and have difficulties retracting, pins bend on the first landing etc.

Regarding the weight, the AW kit should be considered for what it is: a very lightweight kit designed to fly on 1500W tot or so, and at 13-16lbs rtf ...

It has a foam spar in the wing, the nacelles & their mounting are designed for 300g motor/fan assemblies, the retract mounts in the wing are designed for that kind of weight. If you start to load up the Me-262 with ultra heavy fan units, flaps cutouts etc. then you could run the risk of structurally weakening or even disintegrating the wing on the first landing ...