SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Herb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 04, 2011, 12:40 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Grife View Post
Hi Herb,

I was on the phone w/ Vogelsang-aeroscale last weekend.

In short, he only has one kit in stock, that last kit is one that includes their EDF retracts (cannot be seperated). I'm not too confident about those for an extra $ 250.

So the wait time is late Jan 2012 or so. For new kits w/ no retracts included.
Hi David, mine came originally direct from Germany (via airworld.usa) and then slowly peregrinated from place to place up and down the West Coast for three years, till I finally bought it from Joe Castellao.

You might want to inquire about shipping directly from Germany, I know several people did it that way :

"AIRWORLD Reisert" <reisert@airworld.de> (Hans-Dieter Reisert).

AIRWORLD Modellbau
Henschelstrasse 11
63110 Rodgau
Tel 06106 79228
Mo-Fr 8.30-16.00

Quote:
Can you get a few more photos of your plane for us to look at.

I'd like to see how you mounted your batteries, radio equip. etc., etc.

Pretty much anything that you would like to show would be great.
Yes anything you desire ... I have a few more picts besides the ones I posted here ... I thought I already posted too many

If you append &pp=100 you will get to see 100 posts in one page, like here :

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1417197&pp=100

Quote:

Perhaps you could get a friend to video tape one of your next flights.

You have set the mark very high for everybody that is interested in this as a project.

-DG
Well I usually do the video myself (I have two HD video cameras), which generally requires that somebody else flies the thing.

Now, I do have a friend that seems eager to fly the Me-262, so maybe we can do a decent video in a few weeks.
Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2011, 12:46 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Quote:
... Can you get a few more photos of your plane for us to look at.

I'd like to see how you mounted your batteries, radio equip. etc., etc.

Pretty much anything that you would like to show would be great...
David, I think you can see a bit how the inside electronics is laid out in a few of the previous pictures.

As far as the receiver is concerned, it's nothing high tech, hanging with velcro on one side of the fuse behind the canopy It's a Futaba FASST receiver, with the two antennas laid out at right angles to each other.

I have something like 5 or 6 Futaba FASST receivers and they are all rock solid after 3 or so years of flying . The smaller foam stuff I have switched to Orange fasst because of rec. cost, but they seem rock solid too.

The batteries are secured to the forward fuse bottom with self-adhesive velcro strips, and a big velcro strap around each. The strap itself is glued to the fuse with some very strong yet light pu glue.

I decided against doing any sort of fancy battery tray, because it just adds more weight (from the wood, and the glue to secure it) without much added functionality. Also not having a tray is a more flexible option regarding future battery sized & form factors I think.

Last edited by Herb; Dec 04, 2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 04:19 PM
Coldwater, Mi. USA
Joined Jul 2000
857 Posts
Hi Herb,

I hope everything is o.k. with your me-262. I have not seen much of an update on your blog.

I did see your new me163. Very cool subject.

I built a Brian Taylor plan version not too long ago. I'm still flying it.

I did the releasable dolly drop and it always seems to draw some interest when I fly it. I did a build thread in the scale forum and there is some video of it flying near the end of thread.

I'm still waiting on the availability of the me-262.

keep up the good work,

-Dave
Dave Grife is offline Find More Posts by Dave Grife
Old Jan 12, 2012, 03:16 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Hi Dave,

Not much happening here, Christmas holidays seem like a good time for flying, but in fact there's lot of social activities etc. that make it less suitable.

The Me-262 is fine and in top shape for, hopefully, a nice flight video in the near future .

Anything you can tell me about your Me-163 would interest me, maybe a link or pics in the other thread ? Thanks HWH
Old Feb 25, 2012, 08:21 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Couple of pictures I took at the field today

Old Feb 25, 2012, 08:22 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Three flights total today, took a complete video of the first two.

Here's a short clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYmywyjuocc
Old Feb 27, 2012, 01:54 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
I just relaxed and let Doug fly it ... he can do a much better job flying it than I can.

The video below is actually a collage of two flight videos, a very loud gas Extra made some parts of the first video unusable.

The landings got better (shorter) later in the day, the headwind helped a bit. The crow works well.

Surprisingly there were no technical snags, all worked well (retracts, brakes, escs, motors, fans, wings ).

The robart flow restrictors on the retracts make them go up scale, but a bit too slow with wind resistance. Have to fix that.

The batteries are a pain to get in

The one-piece wing held up well to the stress ... the faster pass above is 148 mph level.

Me-262 Airworld (twin 90mm edf) (4 min 24 sec)
Last edited by Herb; May 11, 2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 03:05 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Now I am thinking about the smaller (HET) one with two MiniFans 70mm

This guy just badly crashed his on the maiden due inexperience, or some sort of electronic / power malfunction (or both), but it looks like a nice model that should fly well - with the right setup.

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...-von-HET/page5

http://translate.google.com/translat...on-HET%2Fpage5
Last edited by Herb; Mar 02, 2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 06:23 AM
Joined Dec 2004
30 Posts
Herb,

I have the HET ME 262 as well - construction quality not too wonderful but can be resolved, e.g. the hinges for my ailerons were not on the centre line and ailerons not tapered to match wing profile.

It flies very well though, and I have been flying mine for about 2 years now. I have fixed retracts (was worried about the weight) and is considering buying a second one to make a bit more scalish and adding the electric retracts. I have the pre-painted (ARF) version, but now that I have painted my Airworld one the HET one looks crappy. Paintwork also not of the best quality, so buy the unpainted version and you will have a super plane!

Regards,

Andre
electricfly2002 is offline Find More Posts by electricfly2002
Old Mar 02, 2012, 06:03 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Thanks for the info ... yes sound like the usual het quality, but also as usual the price is very competitive (the alternative being a scratch build).

In the thread above it seems he just yanked hard on the elevator too early ... this sounds unfortunately like the typical mistake of somebody that has mostly flown foamy edfs before ... where you can get away with a lot more yank and bank.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 12:15 AM
Joined Jan 2005
6 Posts
Herb, where did you get your pilot bust from-- Nice video by the way! Looks like it flies well.. On mine, I am tempted to cut back the hatch to the next set of panel lines and put one layer of heavy carbon cloth on the bottom of the fuse..The batteries do look hard to get in and out.
2wall is offline Find More Posts by 2wall
Old Mar 06, 2012, 01:07 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Ha ! You like my pilot bust eh ?

They cost a fortune.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=4076

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RC-plane-P...ht_1278wt_1009

Here's the one I painted for the Me-163 :

Last edited by Herb; Mar 06, 2012 at 01:16 AM.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 01:10 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wall View Post
... I am tempted to cut back the hatch to the next set of panel lines and put one layer of heavy carbon cloth on the bottom of the fuse..The batteries do look hard to get in and out.
Yes I have been thinking about something similar ... cut a second hatch in the scale location, put hinges & latches. Reinforce with carbon tow ...

I just hate the idea of having to cut through that paint and decal work.

Old Mar 06, 2012, 12:21 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Anyone take or provide some pics of how the fans and the thrust tube are secured in the nacelles? I dont have a manual or any CD with build instructions.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Mar 07, 2012, 12:02 AM
Joined Jan 2005
6 Posts
Herb thanks for the point to HK.. $4 is hard to beat!! especially if you are handy with a brush!
2wall is offline Find More Posts by 2wall