HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Herb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:03 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,825 Posts
BTW...thats a mig 23 flogger....
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2011, 07:00 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Nice! I've just been sitting here looking at my Me-262 for the last month while I wait for the CC Phx ICE HV120s to have the recall work performed on them.

Are you going to leave the battery packs isolated from each other, or have a parallel connection so that both ESCs always see the same voltage? I learned real quick with twins that both ESCs always seeing the same voltage was beneficial. And disabling the LVC altogether was also a requirement. Relatively scale P-38s, in particular, don't like one motor spinning too much faster than the other.
thunder1 is offline Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Oct 01, 2011, 08:10 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,159 Posts
Yes indeed MiG-23 ... not my favorite soviet jet - cool nevertheless.

I was surprised at how big the Rafale and Mirage 4000 were in comparison to the MiG-21, which is, relatively speaking, a tiny little thing with rather poor pilot visbility.

I like the Dassault Mystere too, like the MiG-15 and F-86 a perfect subject for EDF.

Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Old Oct 01, 2011, 08:20 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,159 Posts
Yes well with twins you have to be very careful that the two setups are matched, and that you don't run down the batteries. I normally stop at around 80% and on this one I will stop at 70% or so. I could run a parallel equalizer wiring between the two esc, but for now I prefer this separate power setup.

This is my 5-th twin EDF and the Rafales run on separate power circuits, never had a problem since I land with plenty of juice left (very light composite airframe). Running on one pack does not solve the unequal time cutoff problem since the two motors will have unequal draws, and the two esc's unequal heating. So it's a lot safer to just land earlier and not push your luck

Below is the 8S+8S 4000 power pack with four low voltage alarms.
Last edited by Herb; Oct 01, 2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old Oct 01, 2011, 08:25 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,159 Posts
Yesterday I got around applying a very light coat or RLM 76 (Lichtblau or light blue) to the wing and fuse bottom.

A very light mist is enough for cover due the excellent silver gel coat, in fact even some slight un-eveness looks more realistic.

Before applying the RLM 76 coat, I ran over the whole airframe with alcohol and then with very fine sandpaper, to make sure the paint will stick

I decided not to pre-shade (mainly because of possible paint compatibility issues), and to apply instead a light wash later.

Old Oct 01, 2011, 08:38 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,159 Posts
The RLM 82 light green (Hellgruen) coat was next.

http://www.rlm.at/cont/archiv01.htm

Today was a bit hot around here, in fact a bit too muggy for me for flying - but a near perfect day for painting outside while listening to some soft music ...

Last edited by Herb; Oct 02, 2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old Oct 01, 2011, 08:41 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,159 Posts
If all goes well, RLM 81 (Braunviolett) will be next tomorrow
Old Oct 01, 2011, 08:48 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,159 Posts
Before starting on the paint, I had tested the CG and the brakes.

The CG of 150-145mm was just barely achieved by moving the batts all the way back toward the front wing mount former.

I guess the heavier HET 700 motors and that big Robart nosegear and oleo strut do provide quite a bit of weight up front.

The brakes worked well until they both seized ... I took the wheels and brakes apart and found that the brake hub really needs some grease. My guess is that the aluminum of the brake is a bit light and soft where it meets the shaft and burrs easily, at least on new brakes.

Anyhow, after applying some silicone grease on the innermost hub the brakes decided to start working again.
Old Oct 02, 2011, 03:01 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,159 Posts
More or less done with the RLM 81 too

Next will be the fuselage DoR red/blue bands, and a first pass at the markings.

Old Oct 03, 2011, 04:36 PM
Joined Dec 2004
29 Posts
Me 262

Herb,

I flew my ME 262 for the fist time on Sat at Oudtshoorn, and what a nice plane! Had to add 60g of lead to the tail (was nose heavy with HET 700 motors and Robart gear).

Ran about 3o m on the ground, and it got airborne by itself. Plenty of power, and landing was a no event. Will now add some scale detail.

Regards,

Andre
electricfly2002 is offline Find More Posts by electricfly2002
Old Oct 03, 2011, 05:02 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,159 Posts
Excellent

Is your CG at the recommended 150-145mm ?

Yes that Robart gear is heavy, most German fliers use lighter stuff incl. foam wheels.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 01:00 AM
Joined Dec 2004
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
Excellent

Is your CG at the recommended 150-145mm ?

Yes that Robart gear is heavy, most German fliers use lighter stuff incl. foam wheels.
I aimed to get the CG at 140mm, but ran into problems with the battery straps that were installed too far forward (I could not move them back without tools). In the end I added about 60g of lead to the tail, and the CG still at about 130mm. As it was the maiden flight I did not want to add more weight and flew it that way, hoping to bring it in hot if necessary. Seems that it was fine, as I did not need to touch the elevator trims. For the first flight I did not want to complicate matters by using the retracts, which would move the CG slightly rearward as well (if pulled in). I used about 1275mAh from each of my 5000mAh 5S lipos on a 3 minute flight, and flew below half throttle most of the time. Seems like a seriously fast plane - only problem is that it is not very visible in the camo colour scheme. My suggestion is to fly it in clear skies on the first flight. I also have a smaller HET ME 262, which I fly quite often and helped me to get used to the orientation. The only problem is that I am no longer satisfied with the quality of the HET finish, and will probably sand it down and repaint it.

Fortunately I have all the insignias etc. from Taylormade decals, which I will add and then give the plane a light clear cote of matt varnish. The canopy also needs to be cleanup up and a pilot/cockpit added, which I will probably copy from your pics if you do not mind!

Needless to say all the effort to rebuild was worthwhile (plane is about 10 years old, got damaged on first take-off attempt) and I am a very happy owner
electricfly2002 is offline Find More Posts by electricfly2002
Old Oct 04, 2011, 02:07 AM
Joined Dec 2005
65 Posts
CG at 140 mm and it flies very well

Greets

cat
catman74 is offline Find More Posts by catman74
Old Oct 04, 2011, 05:35 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,159 Posts
Andre, very nice !

Give us some details, fans, motors, esc, retracts, batts, amps, watts, weight etc.

Feel free to post more pictures of anything that might be of interest to the Me-262 community ... like did you have retract doors or brakes ... did you fly off grass.

Again, more pictures would be great, when you have time .

Comparison with the HET one ? I would think the HET would feel like a little brick in comparison ?

Servus Cat, thanks for the CG info .
Old Oct 07, 2011, 09:55 AM
Just having fun before I die!
DeKalb,IL
Joined Dec 2008
929 Posts
Wow! Herb

Very nice spray painting booth! What a view! I don't think I could a lot done with that kind of landscaping Very nice! Also you Me-262 looks great can't wait to see it fly!
BadLemon is offline Find More Posts by BadLemon